Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heddarosa_gw

Rose in half wine barrel with no bottom?

13 years ago

I have a spot where I'd like to plant a climber - madam Alfred carrere (sp?)

I want it to grow up an ugly tree; some kind of unidentified willowish thing. The tree's roots are very dense and near the surface of the soil and I can't find a good space to tuck in the rose. Willow, being willow it would hog all the water anyway I fear.

So I had a brainstorm but came here to see if it might work or is doomed to failure.

Could I take a half-barrel, cut off the bottom and place it directly on the soil under the tree, put in a potting mix and plant the rose in that? Cutting the bottom off so if the rose wants to make the effort it can send roots down to compete with the tree, but only after being well established in the barrel. Could this work? For the sake of argument let's say I'm ok with the barrel falling apart eventually and having to build a new planter around the rose's soil.

Any advice, guidance or gentle derision is welcome.

Comments (10)

• 13 years ago

I think the willow's roots might grow up into the barrel and choke the rose, in a discussion on the Design forum recently this was recommended for pots/planters below redwood trees: 'protect the drain holes with copper wire screen or saucers.'

I think you're heading in the right direction, a large enough container will accommodate even a climbing rose if you water and fertilize regularly. I don't know how big the container needs to be, but I'm sure someone wiser than me will be able to answer that.

• 13 years ago

You could try. It might work for several years, if not forever. Why not just cut the tree down if it is that ugly and plant something else?

• 13 years ago

I also think the tree roots will grow up into the barrel. Better to leave the bottom in and provide drain holes, perhaps in the bottom sides. Although not as nice looking, consider a really large tree pot. They can be larger than a half barrel but you'll have to put a fine screen or something over the drain holes. Willow roots are great at getting into well watered and fertilized places.

• 13 years ago

I read about this suggestion last year and I thought it sounded like a great idea. Is it only a good idea with certain trees? It sounds like willows have aggressive roots.

• 13 years ago

Willow roots will travel great distances to locate water. Once found many more will go that way. They also like to grow above ground.

• 13 years ago

Maybe put down a steel or thick plastic plate (or something else that is ABSOLUTELY root proof) and then put the half-barrel (with the bottom) over it to hide it, and then plant the rose in it until the rose is big enough to compete with the willow once the barrel is rotted away and the site becomes just a mound? And use a rose that will compete -- I'm thinking of something like Silver Moon or Fortuniana here -- not something with weak roots to begin with. I've never tried this, but that is the direction I would go if I had a tree I wanted to keep (or could not afford to get removed).

Kathy

• 13 years ago

Nothing will compete with Willow roots.

• 13 years ago

Thanks all, this is exceptionally helpful! I am not able to take down the tree right now, so wanted to hid it behind a pretty rose. I appreciate the advice!

• 13 years ago

Unfortunately, even after removing a Weeping Willow, remaining roots can send up sucker growth for years.

• 13 years ago

Hi, I read about the half barrel idea here a week ago or so when I was frantically trying to rectify my misguided attempt to dig a hole under a tree for my newly arrived Cecil Brunner rose. I quick ran out to a local garden center and they sold me an old half barrel. I took a chisel and hammer to it and gently knocked out the bottom. I nestled the bottomless half barrel in the soil where I had started digging and put in manure and then a mix of top soil and peat moss as per Heirloom instruction which always have worked for me. The tree is a very old, on its way out, Norway maple which I have had pruned back to conserve it. There is a split in the tree some 10 feet up and then branches. I am thinking of putting trellis at the bottom to get the rose started. So far the little thing is doing great. I'll post a couple of pictures. The rose is planted on the south side of the tree. Good luck with your rose!

Here is a link that might be useful: newly planted climbing rose in a half barrel