Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Score! Got source of free horsey manure!

kentstar
14 years ago

A lady where I work has horses. I asked her last fall if she had any for sale. She said she gives it away in April because the rest of the time the horses are out at pasture.

So, today I asked again about the manure. She said sure come over and get some. You load it, you can have it! Awesome! Now, I know she said she piles it up over winter so it may be partly decomposed, but I would rather get it and let it sit around for a while. I have a small bin I will throw it in with my leaves, straw, etc.

Sounds good to me! So, Thursday I'll go over with my pickup and get some free stuff!

Comments (10)

• qhound
    14 years ago

Good deal. I hope to have a truckload of the stuff myself by Friday.

• sheaviance1
    14 years ago

Sweet score!!! I recently had a co-worker deliver some to my house, a whole pickup truck bed!!! I offered to pay her transit costs and she said she had to load it up and haul it anyway, may as well be to a friends house!!! Don't ya just love scoring freebies!!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

We will be getting ours this weekend. I hope to shovel it into plant buckets to help me load the truck (my source does not have a tractor). The great thing about horse manure is that it is a renewable resource!

• docgipe
    14 years ago

As former horse people we noted that those biscuits did in fact just keep appearing.

• momstar
    14 years ago

Gardeners everywhere are on the scent of horse manure this time of year (pun intended).

We have friends in our old neighborhood who have horses. I texted her and asked if I could come get a couple 5 gal buckets of HM. It is the time of year things thaw and the piles can be hauled off so I wanted to get at the old stuff before she cleaned it up. She came back with the response that not only could I come get a few buckets but she was willing to bring a truck full and unload it wherever I wanted it.

Most people have to pay to have it hauled, pay to dump it (even the county compost facility charges to dump), or find a willing gardener/composter to take it.

I didn't want a truckload (my hubby would have a melt down) but I needed some to heat up an old pile we inherited from the previous owners.

My kids just shook their heads and rolled their eyes when I said, "we're going to Becky's to get a bucket of horse pooh. Change your shoes and get in the truck."

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went and got the horse manure, I ended up with a half of my truck bed full of the stuff! Don't know what I'm going to do with all of that! I have a very small yard with a couple of small bins to put it in lol.
    Oh well, I'm just glad to have some!

• momstar
    14 years ago

Ebay?

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the park manager said that I could dump the rest on the 3 piles of wood chips they have. The piles are just about 50 ft away from me, so if I want I can always go over there and fill up again with more horse manure and chips. I doubt that I'll need it though! I kept 4 huge bags of the stuff already. Next week I plan to start layering my bin with that.

• smalltowngal
    14 years ago

I was talking to someone at church and he said he had horse manure we could have, just pick out the age of the pile we wanted. He had has piles of it that he was letting compost but was more than he could use. So far we've gotten two truck beds full of 3 year old horse manure. It's really fine and we were able to just throw it in the garden. I think we're going to pick up another truckload soon to add to the front flower beds.

• blutarski
    14 years ago

mmm...horse poo