Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

A very promising beginning

mariannese
9 years ago

After several harsh winters, and last year's March the coldest in 127 years , this summer promises to be the best ever for my roses. There is no dieback on my old roses and very little on floribundas and HT's. Pruning 210 roses took three hours for my husband and me as there was little to do, only some shaping. All climbers are green to the tips, a first ever.

There may still be catastrophes ahead, too much rain or too little, bugs and diseases, but so far I'm very hopeful.

This post was edited by mariannese on Tue, May 6, 14 at 5:23

Comments (7)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Things are looking good here also. For the first time in years, my DH has time to help with the pruning. So more than a third of the roses might get done.

It is time to start looking for R. primula buds. Most years it is blooming by now. Even with the cold, it should be on its way.

• jeannie2009
    9 years ago

So glad to hear that both your gardens are doing well. We also experienced and easy winter. Only 1-2 freezes. Thank goodness.
    Usually The Prairie rose, Hugonis is the first to bloom mid-May. Well its buds are swollen, but last weekend Zephy had a few blooms fully open. Also, one of the Rugosa's is open.
    It sure would be wonderful if there aren't anymore freezes and the weather cooperates. Spring is certainly a time of hope.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Marianne,
    I think you got the northern version of our winterless winter, just as last year we had an extremely late cold spring corresponding to your frigid March. Our roses for the most part took very kindly to this year's weather and are blooming furiously, though we're still recovering from prolonged rains...they were unkind to the buds on the warm climate roses and fostered more disease than I like to see.
    I hope the good conditions hold and you have a magnificent flowering!
    Melissa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Marianne, that's such good news, and I hope you'll share many pictures with us. I admire your beautiful garden very much.

Ingrid

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

I hope your spring and summer are filled with abundant blooms, rain and no catastrophes, Mariannese. Gean

• albinnibla
    9 years ago

Here we had a real old style OK winter, the likes of which most people even thirty years old hadn't seen. :)
    I had moderate dieback on some chinas, and one tea had to be taken back nearly to the ground. I lost Graham Thomas, Oh Well. Then, last week it was chilly again, and of course this week temps in the Upper 90's. The roses had begun, but the peonies are beating them open this year. A tenuous flush, indeed.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

So happy to hear this! Wishing you a glorious garden season, the best yet.

I have to admit that I was taken aback by your remark that it took the two of you three hours to prune 210 roses. It takes me around a hundred hours to do about half that many. (I put more time than that in, but that extra time is spent on weeding and moving plants.)

Folly