Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_0utsider

echo srm 200 da points gap

the_0utsider
10 years ago

Anyone have a book what the points gap should be?
While it is virtually the same motor as my old stihl fs80, i dont feel like taking it apart to find out.

Also, being the ignition coil is inside the flywheel, how do i adjust that gap?

TIA.

Comments (5)

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

Point gap is .020.

Coil to flywheel gap is using special cut-away flywheel. Sold by Echo/Kioritz as a service part. Not sure if still available, Echo converted electronic ignition and external flywheel about 30 years ago.

This post was edited by ggoyeneche on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 8:01

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Please post a picture of your motor with the flywheel off showing the points and coil.

1. I would like to see that the coilâÂÂs gap is adjustable vs fixed under the flywheel.

2. If it is adjustable, I can understand a cut-away F/W is a convenient time saver but I feel there is a trial and error method. Such as: letting the magnet pull a âÂÂmarked positionedâ lightly tightened coil to it with the .010 index or business cord fixed to the magnet or coil. Turn the fly/w away from your coil. Hopefully the marks coil's position will show you the coil did move (if needed) and now tightened it more. Slightly tighten the fly/w and check for fire. Turning by hand with the plug out. If you have good fire, add final torque to coil and fly/w.

3. IMO you can get the coil less than .010 as long as there is no contact w/o problems.

Old School 101. LOL!

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

If coil located under flywheel, following steps should be taken to adjust magneto air gap:
    1)Remove flywheel.
    2)Place piece of electrical tape on inside rim.
    3)Replace flywheel (finger tight).
    4)Rotate it 10 to 12 times (removing spark plug will make engine easier to rotate by hand).
    5)Remove flywheel and examine tape.
    6)If tape scuffed, air gap clearance too small.
    7)If tape isnâÂÂt scuffed, add another strip, repeat test. If tape still not scuffed, air gap clearance too great.
    8)Adjust position of armature, until air gap clearance such that one layer tape isnâÂÂt scuffed but two layers are when flywheel rotated.

I found this method at the address below along with other good small engine info.

http://smallengineinformation.com/?page_id=421

• the_0utsider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I havent got around to look further but here is a pic of the points.
    When i put the flywheel on, it sounds like it is rubbing. ill do more troubleshooting when i have the chance.

Thanks!

• homegrown55
    10 years ago

My old trimmer repair manual says that the Echo point gap is .014-.016 inches. I have a very old Echo SRM-140DA but converted it to electronic ignition.