Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaihui

What is HFGH?

kaihui
15 years ago

saw HFGH mentioned a lot, but could not figure out what it really is. I did a search on this forum, but couldn't find the answer. i can guess is HF greenhouse. Can someone kindly tell me what HFGH stand for?

Thanks in advance,

Kai

Comments (6)

• tom_n_6bzone
    15 years ago

Harbor Freight Greenhouse. It is one of the more inexpensive greenhouses you can buy. Because of its popularity, this forum at times is practically devouted to them.

Opinion varies on them here from 'you get what you pay for' to enthusium for it.

~tom

• kaihui
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Tom.

Kai

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Here's a little story that might help illustrate some differences between expensive greenhouses and the HFGH.

Where we used to live, there was a neighbor at the top of the hill who had a very expensive in-ground pool with a high fence around it and a little Tiki Bar and patio. Swimming was by invitation. Vandals tossed a watermelon over the fence into the pool once. There were some fun parties held and their family swam there every weekend.

Down in the flat, another family bought an above ground pool on closeout. The next year, the teenaged boys dug the pool site deeper and they bought a much larger liner on sale, making a sort of 'dive pool.' Every boy in the neighborhood splashed and swam there (including the boys whose parents owned the expensive pool). The bigger kids watched after the littler kids and nobody drowned. There was a fence, and a gate, but nobody was excluded unless they misbehaved. The fellows still talk about how much fun they had there as kids.

What's my point? I'm not sure. I'm enjoying my HFGH. You need motivation to actually put one together and make it work.

On the other hand, proper foundation, electricity, plumbing and heating will cost the same for a HFGH as for the most expensive one, same size.

Nell

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Nell I agree with the exspense. If you want a nice functioning and good looking gh and are willing to make it work (labor) The HFGH is a good gh. Even if only to start out with and see if you really want to take on the responsibility of owning one...It is work. No week long vacations somebody has to water and check for bugs...I am not saying this is bad but you must know what you like and willing to take it on. Yes I would love a exspensive one but I also love the one I have now.

• web4deb
    15 years ago

I'm still happy with our HFGH 10x12... I shut it down for the winter...didn't feel like heating it.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse blog

• rjinga
    15 years ago

An affordable means to a dream realized