Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

ACK! My spiderwort is flat!

eclecticcottage
11 years ago

Something, and I don't know what, flattened my patch of spiderwort. It also broke some branches on a rhododendrun nearby. I would almost guess it was a deer bedding down, but it's right next to our Cottage and about a two feet from our back door. I am 99% sure it wasn't my dog, she won't walk in high grass along the road on walks or plants taller than about 4-5" in the gardens (I have decided I need taller plants where she has access to keep her out of the gardens, lol). I have garden circles instead of crop circles.

Anyway...regardless of WHAT flattened it...will it straighten back up? The flowers are still there, the foliage seems fine, it's just laying on the ground now. I was going to split it and move it anyway, because I need to completely overhaul that bed area, but it got squashed before I had the chance. Should I try moving it anyway?

Comments (8)

• kimka
    11 years ago

If it is flattened to the ground, it will not stand back up. But this is usually the time of year I give my spiderwort a hair cut anyway. If the weather doesn't go droughty on me, I often get another nice flush of fresh flowers after the hair cut. If you are going to move/divide it, a hair cut is a good idea anyway.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I've had cats flatten a few things including daylilies. They plop themselves down right in the middle of whatever and that does the trick - flat I mean.

Kevin

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How much of a haircut? To the ground?

There is an outdoor cat around us, but she/he never comes near the Cottage because our dog goes nuts whenever she sees the cat-and as soon as the frantic barking starts, the cat goes the opposite direction. She usually hangs out near the wood piles to get the mice, which is fine with me!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

How much of a haircut? To the ground? . Yes. And agreed, it's down for the count, as far as the existing stems.

A lot of people cut these down to an inch or two around this time if/because they start looking ratty. My lawn has big patches of it that I mow around until about a month ago, when they were - huge surprise - ratty. Since it's so dry and hot (they don't do well in such weather as far as being an attractive flowering plant) and I don't want to bother with all of the extra turning, I usually just keep mowing them down the rest of the summer. It makes the patches even thicker, and even more flowers each spring.

As long as you can put a lawn chair over it or something for a little extra shade and keep it from drying out, now is a fine time to move it, especially since it's been forcibly "pruned" anyway. You may want to take the opportunity to put it behind something that would be just tall enough around this time to block the view of the spiderwort, if such is an option for you and you like that idea.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

My Spiderwort seem to do the flop halfway through blooming, however they are fairly large. Pretty sure nothing sits in the middle of them, this just may be spiderwort's habit? The Rodie branch? Not so sure - windy conditions? :(

• garden_for_life
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that that flopping down is just their way. I'v had mine for 6 years, in two different spots, and it does that every year but when it is done blooming. I'll try cutting it to the ground this year and see what happens!

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

When mine finish blooming and set seed, they always lose their color and flop, doing their daffodil imitation and go dormant . I always cut them to the ground when they do that, they always come back next year. Whether or not they go dormant depends on the weather, when it is really hot and dry they always do.

Sandy

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Mine always flop.