Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

I've got a yucky mess.

shadygarden_CO
15 years ago

Last winter (07-08) I composted in my garage in a trash can with holes in it, sides and bottom, which turned out fine, but since there was some leakage on the floor, this last winter (08-09), I used a trash can in the garage that had no holes. Big mistake. Well, today I decided to move the trash can to my backyard where I have a Smith and Hawkins square, black bin that I have been using in the summertime for composting. To make a long (and smelly) story short, when I started shoveling the stuff out of it, I discovered that at the bottom was this horrible, slimy, very smelly gunk. But I managed to get it all in the black bin and added a lot of dried leaves (that I had saved from last fall).

Well, yesterday my backyard smelled like lilacs, but now my whole backyard smells like this awful gunk. I left the lid off, hoping air getting to it would help. I realize there must be anaerobic bacteria at work.

My question is, will it eventually turn into compost, and what should I do to help it? I also have a tumbler composter that is empty now. The black bin is made of layers that stack on top of one another, and there is one square beside the other three that is empty. Should I try to turn it, or just shovel it all into the empty square, which I guess would be a good turning?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Marlene

Comments (7)

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

Try getting a bag of lump/natural charcoal and dumping it on top. I started doing this with mine and quite having any issues with smell when I didn't get the mix correct. That charcoal is sure good at holding onto nutrients. Or you could just add a bunch more blowns and mixing it up. The charcoal is just nice because it's more or less an instant fix for the smell. I didn't have nearly enough browns for the last batch of grass that I put in so I gave it a try and it worked really well..

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks loads, jeremyjs. Where do you get natural charcoal? Probably a dumb question, but do you mean charcoal like you buy at the grocery for your grill?

Marlene

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Yes, it will eventually turn to compost. I probably wouldn't "buy" anything to add to your compost. Add a bunch of browns, shredded paper, junk mail is the biggest source for me.... straw, woodchips, sawdust. Add more browns than you think you need... If you get a good source of browns mixed in the smell will go away. I like to keep a layer of brown material as a cover on my pile too.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

Hi Marlene

Add carbons, the stronger the carbon, the less volume of it you will need. Personally I like leaves due to the nutrients they add and after that I'd go for shredded straw. Straw would probably add a lot to the porosity of the pile which might tend to alleviate the anaerobic action going on as well. I'd also add a couple of inches of a good carbon on top to act as a filter. I do this to a tumbler I add kitchen scraps to, pretty well eliminates any smell.

Good luck.

Lloyd

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all. I noticed after six or seven hours, the smell had dissipated -- until I turned things a bit. So I will continue to add more leaves; I don't want to use too much of my supply of leaves before the summer is over, so I may resort to shredded paper, too.

Thanks so much,
    Marlene

• toogreen
    15 years ago

Natural charcoal type stuff could come from your woodstove, as almost entirely burned wood. Alternatively, it could come from Malaysia or Indonesia.
    What you are being warned off of is the use of briquettes, which have a binding material that is clay like, and might have petroleum products mixed in.
    Growing up in Denver, briquettes were all that were available. Maybe that has changed.

I do not know if this helps your case, but I use wood ash to keep pH high. It helps alot with the ickiest sour smells.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Do you have any shredded paper you can add? Paper can soak up a lot of the water (and smell).