Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lukado

deep well issues in florida

lukado
17 years ago

we live in the tampa bay area and recently had a 1hp submersible pump dropped in our existing deep well. water was about 32 feet and i believe it was dropped about 40 feet. i have 7 zones ( but eight valves- when the pump was put in we were told that the pressure from that pump would blow the pipes so they combined two valves to make one zone)

here's my problem.

recently i noticed that zones 1 and 2 are sticking no matter what zone is coming on and causing the pressure to drop on the other zones. oen of my zones is not coming on at all. naturally i think its the valves i also noticed that the heads are not pushing out to full capacity so i took one off while systme was running and alot of sand came out. i did this with several heads and the same thing- lots of sand.

i had a sprinkler guy come out and he said all the valves need to be replaced. i'm really concerned with sand in pipes- talking with others some say the sand can be coming in from a broken pipe (cant seem to find it wet spots on lawn) or that the deep well casing is collapsing. our house is 27 years old we just bougt last year so not sure if well is original. (side note- before submersible pump installed we were using city water- there was a vertical pump there but it wasn't working).

the zone that isn't working just so happens to be near my neighbors where the city is redoing her sidewalk because of tree roots. i noticed that one of the main tree roots is going towards that zones corner head.

heres my questions:

should i go ahead and have the valves replaced?

do i have bigger problems with the sand?

whats the deal with the sand?

could the tree root be part of the problem?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments (2)