PROPER FORUM???????

Comments (14)

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

I am clueless to what this is about.

• frecklesb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I need a forum about coexistance of pets and wildlife.

frecklesb

• donn_
    18 years ago

What kind of dog and what kind of hawk?

• michigoose
    18 years ago

and to have a hawk you have to have a falconer's license.

• frecklesb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kind of dog: One that chases Hawks. (Aka "The Maniac")
    Kind of Hawk: One that unwisely eats doves in our yard. (In our area, probably a red tailed hawk)

I really am trying to keep this short. Our dog bolted out the door when I saw a hawk in our yard for the first time. He almost got the hawk. I am looking for a clue as to how to manage to keep both alive and unharmed.

• schmily
    18 years ago

Well the harsh part of me immediately thinks "food chain". I mean if the hawk wants the doves then he needs to accept the risk that he might get swallowed by a maniac. The only thing I can think is to maybe put a bell on the door. It might at least give the hawk a head start. Depends on how fast your maniac is. We had one "bird" dog that routinely nabbed birds out of mid-air. She never caught anything as large as a hawk though (she would've been so proud of herself).

• donn_
    18 years ago

The only way the hawk will hurt the dog is if he catches it. The Red-tail only eats little bitty dogs, like Toy Fox Terriers and Chihuahuas. They prefer doves (as do I).

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Seems to me the hawk might be up for a Darwin.

• mudinmyshorts
    18 years ago

Well ... seeing as we digress ...

{{gwi:332498}}

Trudi ... I found your mask over by the bar again.

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

Put a bell on the dog as dogs don't always bark. The hawk will learn that the bell is associated with the dog. As soon as it hears the bell it should become alert and fly off.

T--who has peregrines that hunt in the sky above her house, but they hunt catbirds and pidgies which are rockdoves.

• donn_
    18 years ago

I watched an Osprey take a pigeon, out of the air, early one morning this summer. Most unusual, as those rats-with-wings are really good fliers.

• msjean
    18 years ago

"Rats with wings" ...as you call them...are beautiful gentle creatures that mate for life and the male takes an equal part in raising their young.
    Better than a lot of humans that I know.

• lblack61
    18 years ago

That hawk wouldn't last long in my yard...I have a dog who is wonderful with cats, guards them with her life, but any wild animal in the yard is her dinner. She actually chased down and clipped a deer, dragged a wild turkey onto our front lawn and gnawed on it for as long as she could before we tossed it out.
    No hawk would dare descend. (But it'd be nice if he'd get some of the voles!)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    18 years ago

You might want to try the Wildlife forum where they discuss these issues all the time.

:-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting