Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Charles Darwin VS Teasing Georgia

njmomma
12 years ago

They both look good. Could you give me your opinion of these? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

I don't know Charles. TG grew long canes (over 10') the first year, with little bloom. More bloom the second year, but didn't make it through the second winter. Others had better success. Not disease resistant here.

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

They are completely different roses. Teasing Georgia is more of a large/tall shrub and Charles Darwin is more of a 4x4 bush. I've seen Teasing Georgia before but don't grow it. I grow Charles Darwin in a pot....it's been a great rose for me so far. The blooms are upright as long as you give it some time for the canes to get some girth. The blooms are pink on the edges and yellow/old gold colored everywhere else. The color of the bloom fades FAST though...personally, I like this effect as it looks like 2 roses in 1. It fades to an almost white bloom in 2-3 days. Scent is strong but you have to catch it at the right time as it's hit or miss. Awesome rose though. I've been pleasantly surprised by it. Teasing Georgia is a great rose too though. I'd just get one for whatever your needs are. Average sized shrub bush or a larger bush/climber.

• buford
    12 years ago

In my zone, TG is a large rambling like climber. It needs support. It blooms in clusters and it is best if you can wrap it around something to have the canes be horizontal. It can require a lot of trimming after flushes to keep it from getting huge. I'm not sure how big it will get in your zone.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

I've had both but had to give up TG because it grew too large for its space very quickly. I have Charles Darwin on its own roots and it's a compact, bushy plant with very large soft yellow flowers that turn pale as mentioned. When its warmer the blooms don't have any pink, just a very nice yellow that blends well with other colors.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

If you are looking for a yellow Austin, 'Molineux' is a bloom machine. It has an upright growth habit like an HT, but has lots of foliage so that it doesn't have the lollipops on sticks look.

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Today I deadheaded Charles Darwin's first fully developed flower (I got the rose own root from Chamblee's Nursery), so naturally I can't say anything about the rose in general, but the I can something about the bloom itself: IT IS WONDERFUL! To me it is the most beautiful yellow flower that I have ever seen in an Austin rose. The yellow color of this rose is very special. It is by no means bright or garish, but it soft and very pleasing to the eye. This rose will go well with other soft colored roses and Old Garden Roses. The flower is very full, pleasing you with many petals. The fragrance is amazing! I definitively would recommend trying this rose, just because its flowers are so outstandingly beautiful.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• kandaceshirley
    12 years ago

I have both. Darwin is a fairly well behaved rose. Georgia tends to grow and definately has her own personality. I have been impressed each spring though as Georgia's winter die back is very little, if at all. I do talk to her as I walk by though, hoping she won't reach out and get me as she's fairly big. Being in zone 5, I have very few larger roses (teasing georgia and victorian memory I believe are my largest)- really no disease, blackspot or any other issues with her.

• veilchen
    12 years ago

I have both as well, and they grow as described above, CD being more compact and less exuberant than TG. Of course TG doesn't get as huge for me in zone 5a but does throw out a lot of tall canes and I have to keep up with the pruning all summer to keep it manageable. There's something about TG, however, that has really won me over compared to CD. Both bloom all summer but I think TG kicks out the flowers at a faster rate.

• Zyperiris
    11 years ago

Any new opinions on these roses?

• Mountie
    9 years ago

I don't have either, but I very much desire Teasing Georgia for her beautiful form, rich yellow color and pale green leaves!

• nastarana
    9 years ago

The CD I had in California hardly ever bloomed, I think because it didn't get enough sun. This one might need a sunny location, might also not like too much heat. I notice on HMF that it is being grown in Moscow. Golden Celebration, in the same location, mostly light shade, became huge and bloomed all summer with very little supplemental water.