Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

One good thing....and one bad thing :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

This is my first year getting old garden roses...and my first order will be ready for pick up on Mother's Day. My other order will be arriving in June.

My question for all of you out there with MUCH more experience....please share one good thing and one bad thing you've learned while growing OGRs.

For myself, I've learned that it's great that OGRs can be ordered online! However, I also have 17 roses I have to plant this Sunday. LOL

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (12)

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Lavender lass, one good thing is that OGRs are tough and do fine in the pot for an extended period - just in case you don't get all 17 in the ground on Sunday. Who do you think you are...Super Woman??? One bad thing is that 17 OGRs have a nasty tendency to turn into 27 OGRs and then 37 OGRs and then...

Sherry

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

one good thing is that you love them so much you become obsessed.
    one bad thing is that you love them so much you become obsessed.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harborrose- LOL!

Sherryocala- They're bands and I'm hoping I've done most of the work already. My husband and I have worked hard on improving the beds...but it's good to know they do well in pots for a bit :)

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Well, yes, they can survive in pots for awhile, quite awhile.
    But bands is a different story. I don't want you left with the impression you can leave them in those tiny pots for very long.
    They just can't get enough moisture if you do that.

If you don't get them planted soon, at least kick them up to one gallon pots before too long. Then they can rest there for several months.

Kathy

• york_rose
    13 years ago

One fantastic thing about them is that because they have fewer genetic influences in them you find lovely roses much better adapted to your climate than the more modern roses are likely to be.

One horrid thing about them is that because they have fewer genetic influences in them you find lovely roses that won't grow in your climate, but you'll sooner or later probably want to grow a few of them anyway (& tear your hair out in frustration because they won't cooperate)........... ;)

• elemire
    13 years ago

Well being able to buy plants online is great... except that then you are able to buy way more plants, than you would do otherwise. x)

Not to mention the stress. I guess some people eat chocolate and gardeners buy plants online... x)

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Good thing: Most have charming (not tacky) names. See my "Do names influence you?" thread.

Bad thing: Too many beautiful roses, too little yard. Wait...is that a good thing? :D

• jerome
    13 years ago

I don't think there's much of a "bad thing" involved. Just make sure to plant varieties that are good in your climate. I had to learn that the hard way: Gallicas and Damasks don't bloom for me in my warm climate, with a few exceptions. Bourbons don't like my microclimate. I cannot grow Abraham Darby, try as I might. But if you find varieties that do well in your area - you can't go wrong really.

As for the addiction: I am completely addicted. The people who live here with me are happy I am. There is a lot worse things to do, and you bring beauty into a world that needs it very much. Happy gardening.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Lass, of course, I'm not recommending leaving roses in band pots for extended periods, but I must tell you about Etoile de Mai, a tiny band I bought from Ashdown last September. Due to one thing and another it stayed in the band on my patio, in the enclosed porch during the freezes and back on the patio getting water catch as catch can and getting smaller (it was minute when it arrived!) and smaller until it became one "cane" about 2" long. I thought sure I was killing this rose that I really wanted (and paid good money for). In early April when I dug my new Niles Cochet bed I planted it. Etoile de Mai is growing and has buds on it. What can I say? They're tough. But I did lose a mini this way but it didn't last anywhere near as long as EdM under similar abuse.

Sherry

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

One good thing is that many of them smell so heavenly.

The bad thing is that one has to buy soooo many to find those that are scented enough to be worth the effort and expense.

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

Some of us eat chocolate AND buy plants online...

Laura

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherryocala- I meant a day or two :) I'm much too excited to wait very long!

Turns out I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to pick up the roses, so more time to get the beds ready...yea!

Thank you for all the responses...it's nice to see there's a lot more good than bad. LOL

Laura, I think eating chocolate, while ordering roses online sounds like a VERY good idea :)