Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

Is Stale Bread Green or Brown?

iam3killerbs
14 years ago

The pantry moths found my stash of stale bread for crumbs and stuffing.

Is it a green or a brown?

Comments (80)

• iam3killerbs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*shakes head in bewilderment*

Disposing of the stuff that's gotten nasty is what compost is FOR. Throwing new, fresh, appealing things into the compost pile would be the height of silliness.

Of course its gross there in the middle of the pile -- what do you expect from rotting garbage?

The miracle of compost is that rotting garbage becomes an amazing garden amendment.

• annpat
    14 years ago

Jim! It is too a pancake! It looks like a finger, I grant you, but it's a pancake made disgusting like that from contact with damp lettuce.
    Once again, providing photographic evidence, I've proved my case.

Leftover bread should be wrapped in yards of a water-proof, non-biodegradable, material, like saran wrap, and put into a styrofoam box. Duct tape the seams on the box before disposing.

• brdldystlu
    14 years ago

You all are so funny, very entertaining reading this morning. One of my sons won't put milk on his cereal because he can't stand the feel in his mouth if it gets the least bit soggy. If we go to Subway he only gets lettuce and black olives on it even though he likes the other veggies but says they make his bread soggy. Won't pack a sandwich in his lunch unless he packs the bread separate from everything else only to put it together when he is ready to eat it, again a soggy issues. Annpat are you sure he is not your son?? LOL
    My tumbler has been well feed this week, we had the attack of those little black bugs. So I did a purge, cereal, breads, and some crackers, oh and a bag of bread flour. Dumped around 10 gallons of said items maybe a bit more into the tumbler with a couple flakes of straw, that I picked up from someone that only needed a small amount for seeding a bald spot in her lawn. I also did some cardboard boxes from the cereal, and the bag from the bread flour. Gave it a few good cranks, all mixed with the stuff that was already in there, never to be seen again.

Sandy
    tree huggin' soil worshippin' trash pickin' dog lovin' recyclin' woman
    please control the pet population, spay or neuter your pet

• annpat
    14 years ago

I am sure he is my son. And I've been wanting a son lately, so please send him back. It makes me sad that he has to witness your composting methods.

I haven't eaten a pre-constructed, box-lunch sandwich since 1986. Like my new son, I package all sandwich ingredients separately, the lettuce nestled in its own container of ice.

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

LOL. I ⥠annpat.

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Annpat, I believe it is your finger, and I think the picture was taken near one of your "special" compost piles that are full of soggy bread where you secretly raise planarian, all of them named Herman.
    jim_6b

• brdldystlu
    14 years ago

Annpat you can have him, however I do have to tell you his allergies are so bad he can't turn a compost pile, or work outside very long. He also comes with student loans. He is going to school for computers.
    He is good about putting things into the compost bucket with out having to remind him. He is strong and is always willing to help, so I just might have to keep him. Sorry.
    And after 22 years he has grown on me.

Sandy
    tree huggin' soil worshippin' trash pickin' dog lovin' recyclin' woman
    please control the pet population, spay or neuter your pet

• annpat
    14 years ago

"LOL. I ⥠annpat."

Really, spaghetini? Or are you just saying that to make me love you?

Sandy, your son is exempt from labor. I keep men tied up in my basement for that. All he has to do is say 22-year-old things, remind me of nephew, and make me laugh. And I can promise him this---sog doesn't take place around here. Not in the bowl and not in the bin.

You would all do well to emulate my example.

• paulns
    14 years ago

A compost pile is like a stomach? In 20 years of composting I have never thought of it that way. Makes me want to become a Breatharian.

Speaking of bread - annp, a guy in a Dysarts teeshirt showed up in our yard the other day looking for produce. We clapped each other on the back, talked big biscuits.

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

Nah, I don't need you to love me. I'm used to the unrequited sort. I don't need no stinkin' reciprocal love. That stuff is for suckers.

• annpat
    14 years ago

Paul, did you tell him that you know a Mainer who has had a bisquit or two at Dysarts in her life? You can imagine, I imagine, that I'm not a fan of Daisy Dysart's famous bread pudding.

spaghetina, ha!

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

If your suffer from the heart break of SCS (Soggy Cereal Syndrome), you can spoon the flakes/circles/no-longer-crunchys out of the milk, lay them out on a dish towel, and use a portable hair dryer on them.

• paulns
    14 years ago

annp, he was from Massachussetts (sp?) or we would have talked about nothing BUT you. Maybe you know him anyway? Maitland, in a Dysarts teeshirt. He asked whether we'd sat in the truckers' section of Dysarts. We didn't know there was a truckers section.

I agree about bread pudding - wouldn't touch it with a ten foot spoon.

A raven's been hanging around the gardens - it probably caught the scent of the halibut heads a fisherman gave me (after cutting out the cheeks, a Newfoundland delicacy, better than scallops). I'd buried them deep in a pile. Meanwhile, some thawed wheat tortillas and fruit cake from the fridge-freezer that went defunct have been sitting for three days on top of another pile. The raven hasn't touched the tortillas and fruitcake, nor has any wildlife, hmm. You'll be glad to know they are turning petrified instead of soggy.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

'I agree about bread pudding - wouldn't touch it with a ten foot spoon.'

I can't let that pass. (I've beeen watching this thread from afar.)

Bread pudding has played a significant part in my life. Long, long ago when young men wore flared trousers and big lapels, I received a carefully wrapped large bread pudding through the post. The sender only knew two recipes: omelettes and bread pudding. Luckily he chose to send bread pudding. (I don't want to imagine an omelette in an envelope.) The postage was exhorbitant as the pudding was extremely dense but he sent it anyway. In July we had our 31st wedding anniversary. I will not hear a word against bread pudding.

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

I say, Flora, quite a sterling chap you have there!

• annpat
    14 years ago

Flora, I sensed that I had gone too far.

I've got to say. Anyone who would mail his love interest a slab of bread pudding via the post office has my full approval. He gets a lot of credit for originality.

• paulns
    14 years ago

Happy anniversary Flora.

I knew a couple who learned during their courtship that each had, as babies, loved butter so much that each managed to eat a pound of it behind their mother's back. Neither could eat butter after that. They married.

It could be it's the word pudding I have trouble with, more than the bread made into pudding. (Putting. Poulding.Pooding.) But most likely it is the bread.

"Bread pudding was born in the 13th century. Known as 'poor man's pudding' it was created as a means of salvaging stale bread. The bread was soaked in milk or water, then sugar, butter, fruit, and/or spices were added, and then it was baked. Sometimes the mixture was housed in a 'sop,' a hollowed out loaf of bread. Modern bread pudding is made by pouring custard and other flavorings over cubed bread and then baking it."

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Picture of a planarian eating a slug sammich

{{gwi:277619}}

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Thanks folks. Paulns - I don't know where your quote is from but it does not distinguish between bread pudding and bread and butter pudding. We eat both. BP is the white or brown bread, spice and fruit combo which comes out like a dense fruit cake. BABP is the one made with white bread and custard. Both yummy - never any left for the compost heap. Regards Flora.

• brdldystlu
    14 years ago

Annpat, I would much rather send you my 20 year old, he is a PIA.
    I did think of you this morning. I started a loaf of bread in the bread machine and after the first mix I looked in on it and found I messed something up when I put the ingredients in there. NOt sure what I did but it didn't look right, so the dough got dumped into the compost bucket, headed to the tumbler today. Yes my son went screaming out of the house. All in all my compost totally grosses him out anyway, no matter what I put in there. He is mad at me anyway as one of the pair of jeans he liked went into the tumbler a month or so ago, knees ripped out, and the side seam ripped from the bottom up past the knee. They also had a rip in the seat.
    Sorry Annpat, but yes I am going to compost the bread dough and no you can't have my son.
    Sandy

• flowersnhens
    14 years ago

Uuugh,,,my stomach is turning from reading this post. I will never eat cheerios again !!

• annpat
    14 years ago

See what you guys did to flowersnhens?

• flowersnhens
    14 years ago

Bluuuk !!. I am serious. Listen,,I was eating a tuna sandwich yesterday,,and lost my appettite and gave it to the dogs..NOW, I cannot eat sandwiches without thinking about this !! I guess I can always TOAST the bread until it is ALMOST burnt. Eeeeggh. I am not kidding. I don't think I can eat sandwiches anymore unless they are toasted to WELL DONE.!! and my stomach is turning again thinking about untoasted soggy bread.

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

Well now we have two of them. This prompted me to Google it, and there are others with this soggy bread thing. I didn't find a name for it, but I suggest we call it madiduspanisophobia, or "Fear of wet bread."

Carry on.

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

I tried to Google it and couldn't find anything either.
    True story. I was working on a new construction site several years ago and there wasn't a store or resturant close by so I was taking my lunch. I opened my cooler one day to eat my two tuna fish sandwitches and found that the ice had melted enough to make my lunch soggy. I won't go any further but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    jim_6b

• annpat
    14 years ago

"Well now we have two of them."
    Snort!

jim, you lie!! (No offense.) Admit it, it was FAR WORSE than you thought it would be. I fed my wet tunafish sandwich to a seagull yesterday, so I know what you're talking about.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Is Jonathan (the seagull) ok?

• annpat
    14 years ago

He looked disgusted. Natch.

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I am trying to do Haiku re: planariums, wheat bread and my compost pile.
    I thought I had a herd of them on the stale buns I tossed in. Actually the worm like critters were light tan with lots of segments and legs....AND they were on a huge, misshapen zucchini. (About an inch long, perhaps, maybe s little smaller. The bugs, I mean.)
    My camera batteries died so no pictures. Sorry.
    I love my compost pile.

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

You silly people . Bread is for cows .
    My cows love stale bread in all it's forms .
    Manure is for compost piles !

• flowersnhens
    14 years ago

Carol in California: I love my compost pile too,,cuz it has NO BREAD IN IT and it NEVER WILL !!. LOL.

Muwahahahahaaaaa.

• annpat
    14 years ago

I LOVE FLOWERSNHENS! LOVE HER! I THOUGHT THIS DAY WOULD NEVER COME!
    There's an end in sight to the resistance.

C'mon! Couldn't the rest of you do it just for me?

It would really mean a lot to me. :^)

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Okay. Truth be known, I'm not fond of wet bread either. It all comes from storing loafs of bread in the freezer. If left there for a while, ice crystals form inside the bag and if left for a long while, lots of ice crystals form. When the bread is pulled out of the freezer, the ice crystals melt and soak into the corners of the bread. Even when you toast it, it stays wet.

I

DO

NOT

SOGGY

CORNERS!!!

I prefer to buy the bread fresh and if I must freeze it, when I pull it out, I take the frozen bread out of the package and shake out all the ice crytals.

But I don't give a rats a$$ if it gets wet in the compost. Sorry AP.

Lloyd

• annpat
    14 years ago

Do unto the microherd as you would have the microherd do unto you, Lloyd.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer from the heart break of sticky tortillas? I mean, there you are with a couple hot, roasted green New Mex Big Jim chili's straight off the plant to the burner then onto a towel to cool, got your diced onion, grated cheese all ready to go, you grab the package of healthy, organic whole wheat tortillas all the while salivating, and then you can't peel one off? They're, like, glued together? So there you are, trying to separate the top one and it tears, so you flip the tortilla bundle over, and try for the bottom one, and that one pulls of a big ol' hunk of tortilla out of the middle of the tortilla below it, and then you figure, since the chili's are getting cold now, that what the heck, and you grab that one, lay down the chili, onion, and cheese, and roll it up pretending that big lump from the other tortilla isn't there? Is that frustrating, or what?

And then, how do you 'splain to your significant other about the hole in the tortilla, the one left in the package? Uh, it musta been the planaria will only get you so far.

Maybe its just a southwest thang.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

The pantry moths found my stash of stale bread for crumbs and stuffing.

I was wondering what were pantry moths doing in the OP's freezer. Doesn't everyone store the stale bread crumbs for stuffing in their freezer?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

"...Doesn't everyone store the stale bread crumbs for stuffing in their freezer?..."

No, I put mine in my compost...

tj

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer from the heart break of sticky tortillas?

Not since the DW started making home made tortillas!

I'll try and remember to post the recipe when I'm @ home. Can't find the link now.

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

It's better than "the heartbreak of psoriasis"!

I feel your pain david52. Specially when you have fresh NM greens ready to eat. Have you tried warming the whole pack in the microwave for 30-60 seconds? Not saying I've done that, my brand doesn't stick.

I've developed a liking to charring them a bit on the stove burner too. Most of the ones they sell here in the midwest are undercooked anyhow. It can turn a mediocre tortilla into a pretty good one.

Shoot, now I have a carb craving.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

No, I put mine in my compost...

How can you use them for stuffing, if you've put them in the compost? blech.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I will try. But with whole wheat because I just like WW better. Thanks!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

"...How can you use them for stuffing, if you've put them in the compost? ..."

Gives it that earthy taste, you know, like mushrooms.

tj

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

...and the planarians are like oysters...

tj

• luckygal
    14 years ago

"If your suffer from the heart break of SCS (Soggy Cereal Syndrome), you can spoon the flakes/circles/no-longer-crunchys out of the milk, lay them out on a dish towel, and use a portable hair dryer on them."

LOLOLOLOL Too funny David!

"Sog" doesn't bother me altho I don't eat cereal but I adore a nicely made bread pudding. Especially with a tasty rum sauce on it. Gotta make one soon. Yummm...

I *have* to put bread crusts in my compost as they are from really good homemade wholewheat bread but I don't like crusts all that much and the dog can only eat a few. She's only a little dog. And I'm old enough to refuse to eat crusts if I don't want to. ;-) I just cover the crusts with shavings/horse manure and they are aaalllll gone.

This thread is hilarious except for dorisl's yucky pic. Not looking at that again. AND those horrid links of planaria pics - you can only suck me into looking at those once, Annpat, I'm not opening those again! Let the newbies gag at your awful pics! Altho, truth be known I'm pretty close to loving you as well! haha

• 11otis
    14 years ago

"".....bread pudding. Especially with a tasty rum sauce on it.""
    luckygal, now you've got me interested. How do you make the bread pudding AND the sauce?
    Thanks

• annpat
    14 years ago

I was worried about you seeing doris's picture, lucky gal. I always like to give some sort of warning.

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

I use to like bread pudding until I found out what it was made from. You have to understand that I was young and didn't make the connection between the name and the ingredients.
    Annpat, in the last reply I made to this thread I wasn't lying I just forgot how bad it really was. It was awful. I might not put bread in my compost again.
    I still think that's your finger in the picture.
    jim_6b

• annpat
    14 years ago

jim, it's not my finger! (although---strictly between you and me---I'll admit it's someone's finger).

I'm glad you've given up composting bread.
    (My brother is a Jim and he doesn't compost bread either.)