Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maybee_france

Do you like 'Before and After' shots? (many photos)

maybee_france
15 years ago

Hello again,

Rummaging through old photos the other day, I thought I would give everyone a good laugh by showing what my "garden" looked like 3 years ago, as compared with today. As I also received some encouragement to do so, I dedicate my little effort to "Simply J" (you know who you are!).

I am always awed and amazed when I see what some of you are doing in terms of landscape design, structures, pergolas, archways, paths, raised beds, etc. I hope one day we can do something of the sort, but for the moment, not really having a budget for such "hard-scaping", we have simply planted fragrant roses and are experimenting with companions, mostly blue and perennial.

Anyway, for those of you who like the old "Before and After" game, here is the front garden in August 2005 and recently:

{{gwi:276673}}{{gwi:276674}}

As is common in rural France, behind the house we had a huge, ugly fuel tank. The whole area was a wasteland but after we replaced the "submarine" with a new underground tank, it was possible to start reclaiming that little space:

{{gwi:276676}}{{gwi:276677}}

Another view from the side  the green disk is the top of the buried tank. Sadly, after the excavations we found that the mound of "soil" was nothing more than rubble, stones and sticky blue clay so my poor hubby gradually removed it all and replaced it with our own manure-based compost:

{{gwi:276678}}{{gwi:276679}}

On one side a dark hedge loomed and this wasted corner was a parking spot. We are gradually softening that outline with climbing OGRs and some Austins:

{{gwi:276680}}{{gwi:276681}}

Another view, from the back:

{{gwi:276682}}

and from the lane that borders our place:

{{gwi:276683}}

And finally, looking the opposite way towards the back:

{{gwi:276685}}{{gwi:276687}}

My limited experience suggests that, although three years can feel like an eternity (especially in winter when the roses are asleep), it is possible to begin to see the bones of a rose garden fleshing out. Coincidentally, as we started to dig and plant, we also began visiting this forum. So I wish to thank you all for the invaluable advice which has underpinned our efforts. And, please, continue to post photos from your gardens ... I need the motivation!

MayBee

Comments (23)

• alisande
    15 years ago

What a difference!! Beautiful job, all of it. You're an inspiration!

• bluesibe
    15 years ago

Maybee, I really enjoy seeing transformations. You and your husband have put in a great deal of work and it is really beginning to show.

A few years ago, I did some biking in France and really enjoyed looking into peoples gardens. Now, I can look into your garden and see it transform.

Carol

• michelle_co
    15 years ago

Beautiful work! I love the B & A photos!

Cheers,
    Michelle

• bbinpa
    15 years ago

That is remarkable. Good job. So much better now.

Barbara

• bamabutterfly
    15 years ago

That is an amazing transformation! Thanks for the photos...Your roses are beautiful!!

Michelle

• reneek
    15 years ago

How beautiful, Maybee.....I miss France and your roses only reminded me of how much........

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Yep, pretty much what I think of when I envision "French country house"....sigh :) I love the stone of your house, the stone walls, and the tile roofs. It provides a elegant, yet casual backdrop to your roses.

Eric

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your encouraging words! For us, the roses are really the backbone and the whole reason for the garden but we put an awful lot of time and planning into the companions and other stuff. Two years ago the area above the tank produced a bumper crop of tomatoes and zucchini; this year it's roses and strawberries. We are constantly moving things, adding, replacing and dealing with mistakes! But what surprises me most is that the problems always involve plants other than roses, and yet people are convinced that roses are "fussy". Just now I'm waiting for 6 different perennials and 4 annuals to "do something" while we have 6-inch-high rose cuttings producing full-size blooms ... go figure!

MayBee

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Wow, what an amazing difference you have made, maybee. Three years IS a long time, but your roses are beautiful and maturing nicely. Sometimes it's hard to be satisfied and patient with just the things that we CAN do, but it all comes together eventually before our eyes. You two have done a great job!

Sherry

• mkrkmr
    15 years ago

It looks great. I always feel at a loss in planning companions. Maybe with experience...

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Oh my---what a wonderful post---You will be an inspiration to many "newbies"-----

When I scroll down it looks the the roses actually pop up out of plain dirt------very good three years
    thanks for these pictures they are inspiring----

I too love your stone home and the tile roof.

Please keep the pictures coming---

Florence

• aegis1000
    15 years ago

Wow Maybee,

You've really made that work.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

• oath5
    15 years ago

C'est tres bien!

Pretty! You should get lots of OGR's, France should be riddled with them, no?

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

A rose, is a rose, is a rose. Whoever said that, never got a look at Maybee's rose's.

Thank you for such a display of beautiful pictures.

Simply....Jane

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Florence, that was my hope - to encourage other newbies to give roses a try (I mean especially OGRs, climbers and shrub types). For me they are the easiest, most generous plants and anyone can substantially improve almost any area with a few well-chosen specimens.

Eric, there are a lot of stone houses around here, mostly farmhouses, but many have been covered in stucco or render, whatever it's called. The stone looks charming to me but the new houses tend to be built out of bricks and mortar with stucco on top, certainly more practical!

Oath, there are many venerable OGRs growing in old gardens, sometimes right on the pavement in back lanes and such. They are often unkempt, which is a shame. Unfortunately, the modern trend in gardens is lawns with a few boring shrubs and perhaps some HTs lining driveways like soldiers!!! On the plus side, we have access to some great European hybridizers. Many wine growers make interesting use of roses by planting a single rose bush at the end of each row of vines. As roses and vines are subject to the same diseases, examining the rose tips them off to potentially damaging conditions for the vines!

Mkrkmr (Michael, yes?), my favourite companions so far are lavender (the dwarf cultivar Hidcote), Nepeta (catmint), hardy geraniums (Johnson's Blue) and sage of which there are so many kinds. I have Russian sage (Perowskia), Mexican sage (Salvia Patens) and Salvia Officinalis. I also like annual Lobelia. I think companions are a personal choice, trial and error and whatever works for you!

Jane, you are a sweetie! You know these aren't my best pictures, I was limited in having to use similar angles and ... no luscious closeups ... but I have those, too!!!

So, for those of you who like pretty pictures, here is Albertine:

{{gwi:276690}}

{{gwi:276692}}

{{gwi:276694}}

MayBee

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

You've done a wonderful job. The hardscaping doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune. I've used stones from a local quarry, bought damaged statues on sale. Things come up and ideas occur. You've gone far in three years. It's much better that a garden takes time to build.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

You have really transformed your yard! It's beautiful now. Congratulations!

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Maybee---Albertine is one of my favorite ramblers---nice picture of her pretty fragrant blooms-

Here is a picture from a couple of years ago---My DH ghad to climb up on the roof to give her a haircut-
    {{gwi:205633}}

Florence

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Mendocino Rose, for your kind words. I know you are right on both counts! Other, more immediate, problems have diverted our energies of late, but the garden has already become a place for relaxation and quiet satisfaction, and that's the main thing, isn't it?

Alicia, thank you for saying that, most encouraging!

Florence, I love to see pictures of your glorious, monster roses! Quite magnificent. This one must be from the series "Find the house", no?

MayBee

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

MayBee, you have done miracles with your garden! It is so very lovely - what a difference. You should be very proud. Thanks for sharing your great before and after photos.

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen, I'm glad you liked the pictures, and yes, I am kinda proud of my hubby's vision and very pleased with his choice of roses. Beautiful as they are (and hopefully, better each year), I love that they are ALL (more or less) fragrant!

Cheers,

MayBee

• mainerose
    15 years ago

You brought back so many pleasant memories of 1964-65---the year I spent as a student at the Universite de Bordeaux. Thank you for sharing---your roses are lovely!

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mainerose, thank you! Bordeaux is 40 km from our home and we go there often. I could not believe my eyes when I saw some of the world-famous vineyards stretching right into the residential areas! It's truly a special place. It's good to know you have happy memories of your time there.

MayBee