Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

LX266 engine swap a success

rcmoser
15 years ago

almost a direct bolt in. I used 17.5 CV460S-27509 cost new 395 including shipping. Most sits say no 16HP engine (model 26511) available. I would think you could do the same if you have an obsolete dead KAW course may encounter more problem areas like muffler???.

rework areas I had to do to get it to fit.

- engine mt bolt holes bigger 7/16 vs 3/8 on old eng. used 7/16 by 14 by 1" long. Drilled out frame mount bolt holes and tapped treads in engine mounting holes due to none in new engine. I figure they use self tapping mount bolt from the factory.

-muffler was a direct bolt in.

-fuel line hooked up with little problems

-used old starter was a direct bolt in and hook-up

-PTO/pulley was a direct hook-up

-wiring---only had to splice two wires coil and fuel shut-off switch, rest I was able to diconnect and reconnect into orginal engine quick dissconnect

Overall not too bad once you verify and evualuate each system, take notes, pictures, and take you time. Too about 6 hours overall to complete engine swap.

Purrs like a kitten, I'm happy now have 800 bucks in it and it should last a very long time with 319 hours on the clock. Just a overview in case anybody else is thing about putting a new engine in. Rc

Comments (11)

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

had to use the old throttle bracket and cables. old one was an two cable model vs one cable system on new engine. Just unbolted it unhooked choke rod and trottle spring, bolted onto the new block reconnected and ran cables. If I tried to use the new setup I would of had to find longer trottle cable. can up about 2 inch short.

• mownie
    15 years ago

That is good news rc. What was your solution to the "mismatched" wire connectors? Do you have any grass to try it out on at your place? Area around here looks like we are headed toward more drought.

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have gotten alot of rain with in the last week or so (unsual for this time of year in Central OK.. I still need to remove the gas tank and clean it out. Tractor must of set for awhile, inside of the tank is way pass cleaning time.

I got to figure out how to get the rear fender cover off (pedal drive) to get to the molded gas tank that molded to the shape of the fender and molded around the rear end oil tank. don't want to plug up my new carb. Besides I got two others in tip top shape to mow with.

As far the wiring I only had to splice two wires which already had splices anyway from the old engine (that I cut out) I put on a few months ago. the other wires I was able to unclip and reclip in the connectors. I couldn't do this to the coil kill wire or the carb. shut-off so I spliced them. Guess I could of used the carb. shut-off off the old engine, but the wires were in bad shape had had splice anyway.

Once I get the gas tank cleaned out it will be in fully reconditioned condition. I got pictures, but can't remember how to post them on this site. Rc.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    15 years ago

RC

Nicely done. It is always nice when something like this comes together. Feels good that you needed to do a few things to make it work, but also good that the project didn't get out of hand ;)

• mownie
    15 years ago

Good deal rc. We want pitchers. Not gonna take "I fergit how" as an excuse. Click the link to the famous wally2q instructions on posting pitchers. :^)

Here is a link that might be useful: pitcher postin' made EZ

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:341983}}

test photo see if it works rc

• nature_photog
    15 years ago

Looks good rc. That Canon PowerShot is doing a fine job.

---mike

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:341984}}
    s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57/RcMoser/?action=view&current=LHsideengreduced.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:341985}}

couple more, I think I got it figured out?????

• mownie
    15 years ago

Yeah, you got it figured out fer sure. Looks good too. Fuel filter looks only half full! :^)

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Auuuuuuuu? the power of vacuum in a tube???

{{gwi:341986}}

The last view, note the 17.5 on the label, nothing like MOPower.

• rcmoser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got five hours on the new engine in the LX266. Working out nicely, plenty of power, not a bit of RPM change when I put the elect PTO buttom, No smoke, starts and runs great. I should be able to get many, many years of use out of it.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor