Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judiohz5

Sowing newbie

judiohz5
14 years ago

Hi, I've been putting plants in the ground for many years but have never sown seeds so this year I'm taking the plunge. I have been lurking here for about 10 years and can't tell you all the wonderful info I've learned. GW is the best and you all are wonderful! I'm trying WS for the first time. I sure hope i can do it right cuz everybody around here thinks I've lost it. 44 containers so far and just getting started. I needed to do something connected with gardening during these long winter months. So thank you all for the enjoyment and info I've learned here. you're the best!

Comments (10)

• mcbdz
    14 years ago

Hello judi, and welcome to the nut house. I think everyone that has ws has gone through people thinking you are crazy. This is my second year and like you have been gardening for many previously. Sounds like you are off to a great start on your containers. Way ahead of me, I'm still trying to recup from the holidays but, really feeling the itch now. Have fun and remember a picture is worth a thousand words. :O)
    Pattie

• karendee
    14 years ago

Welcome! It is fun gardening in the winter! I am going to sow some more today. I am glad you decided to join in. I am happy I did my first WS'ing last year. It worked out well.

I started not to care about what the neighbors think. Last summer a lady jogging stopped to tell me she likes my flowers. That was all I needed.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

We're happy you decided to join us judi! This is my first year WSing too. I was going to sow 12 milk jugs. Thanks to all the enablers on this forum my count is up to 96 and the neighbor delivered another truckload of gallon milk jugs this morning while I was at work. My neighbors don't think I'm nuts but they do get a kick out of all my hare-brained ideas. The folks on this forum are the best.
    Welcome!!
    Eileen

• pippi21
    14 years ago

When they see all your beautiful flowers as a result of WS and their contribution of gallon milk jugs, you'll be teaching classes in WS to them next winter! If they have computers, tell them to come to this website and see what it's all about.

• docmom_gw
    14 years ago

Gardenweed,
    You planned to do 12 jugs and you're already up to 96? We're all so proud! Too bad you're in zone 6. We could use you in zone 5 for the container count. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Martha

• PVick
    14 years ago

Welcome, judiohz5! Always nice to get a "WS newbie"!

Way to go, gardenweed! Zone 6 needs you and is glad to have you!

My first year WSing (winter of 2001-2002), I jumped in with all feet and sowed 400+ containers - to fit in my 20'x6' balcony garden! Best gardening year ever! For me AND my friends!

PV

• judiohz5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so very much for the warm welcome. The madness has just begun here.

• pippi21
    14 years ago

PVick..you should show these new members your pics of your balcony garden. They'll be as amazed as I was..Folks, it was unbelivable but I saw the pics with my own two eyes and was so impressed! You gave new meaning to container gardens!

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Welcome judiohz5, it's always good to see more ohioans on the forum. :) Not only did my family think I was nuts last year I had suspicions too. Luckily all turned out well. Winter sowing has really cut my cabin fever by months and made my garden grow things I'd never heard of before. :)

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

Welcome judiohz5,

I'm now in year 3 of winter sowing - my 1st year I only did 6 jugs. Truly a girl from the Show Me State I wanted to make sure it really would work before investing loads of time and energy. Last year I was still conservative at only 40 jugs, this year looks as though I may reach 100 or so. In the process of ripping out areas of lawn to make way for flowers, DH doesn't mind.

BTW I found pics of pvick's balcony garden on the gallery tab. Seeing how she can make a NYC city balcony so lush and inviting has inspired me to work on making my small urban backyard a private retreat.

-StLGirl

Here is a link that might be useful: pvick's garden

Sponsored