Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire25_gw

do you ever see ogrs for sale in your area?

claire25
12 years ago

Hi there,

I love gardening and have recently been bitten by the OGR bug. After a couple of years of growing only Knockouts (my first roses) I've added 8 OGRs to my garden this year and all are doing well. My frustration is that there are at least 5 local garden shops that I frequent (not including the big box stores) and NONE of them carry OGRS. In fact, almost all of them carry nothing but Knockouts. Is this true for others? I do live in "blackspot alley" and I'm sure this has something to do with the preponderance of Knockouts in my area's shops, but I can't believe that all those of us who love the classic types of old garden roses have to make do with mail-order only.

Is there some blessed area in this country where the selection of roses (both in garden stores and in people's yards) is a bit more...ahem...diverse? :)

Reporting from Knockout-central,

Claire

Comments (20)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

NEVER.
    I have NEVER seen OGRs of any sort obtainable at nurseries in my area. Not even when there were more nurseries than there are these days.
    Many years ago, we had Limberlost Roses, in the San Fernando Valley, but since the departure of Limberlost, the Great Darkness has descended.

Though Tea Roses, Noisettes, and Chinas are in general the roses most-easily grown here, no one offers them locally.

Jeri in Coastal Southern California

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    12 years ago

We got Madame Plantier from the local nursery, when J&P carried it. Once blooming OGRs are a tough sell, since they won't have flowers until the year after you plant them. Your best bet is to mail order them from Pickering in Canada.

• zaphod42
    12 years ago

I bought a Blanc Double de Coubert rose at a local nursery in my area. It wasn't out on the floor though. I asked if they had any white rose bushes in stock. They didn't, but were able to easily get one in on a shipment in a few days. When I asked they gave me a list of a few options and one other on the list was an OGR. So, they may be out there but maybe you need to ask. As a footnote, all their roses they did have in stock were Knock-Outs though.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

I've seen quite a few Austin roses in local nurseries but almost never old roses. I did score Betty Prior from the local Home Depot but it's not exactly an old garden rose, originating in 1935. Nevertheless, I was thrilled. I will say though that every nursery I've been to locally has many more varieties than just Knockouts.

• rootygirl
    12 years ago

Sigh, I wish I did see them more often. I did see Cecile Brunner at the local co-op--I should have bought it! I really want the climbing CB, though. I was also surprised to see Rose de Rescht in a body bag at HD, but it looked pitiful.
    I'm surprised there are none to be seen where Jeri lives in CA. I thought that part of the country would have more of a demand for them.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Sadly, Rootygirl, I think in this area, the Hybrid Tea Rose still rules.

Jeri

• jeannie2009
    12 years ago

OGR's available here??? The closest I've found is Theresa Bugnet. And she's missing the old part. But I certainly bought her and she looks great.
    It seems so strange that there arent a least a few available. Our local Home Depot has at least 3 dozen luxurious rose bushes in 5 gallon pots. I must say that they are well cared for. All are either HT's or Flori's. The local Fred Meyers has smaller roses 2-3Gallon which are also nice. So if they sell why not the OGR's??? No answer.
    Jeannie

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

I have seen Mutabalis and Caldwell Pink at a local nursery and one about 15 minutes away sells a few from Antique Rose Emporium. They don't have many but it's good to see at least SOME OGRs instead of only knockouts and HTs.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I have also seen a few in the body bags at the big bx stores but I don't think I've ever seen them at the local nurseries.

• Merilia
    12 years ago

The nursery close to my house carries a decent set of roses, but still very few OGRs.

Molbak's rose list for this year

I count 5 rugosa varieties and a handful of other species and older roses. It makes me smile to see that they sold out of Abraham Darby this year.

I was surprised to see a hardware store close by (McLendon's) also carrying a large selection that included David Austin roses. On the other hand, the Home Depot down the street has exactly what you'd expect--a bunch of Knockouts and what looked like sad neglected castoffs in small containers.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Otto and Sons, a nearby rose wholesale nursery, carries about a dozen OGRs. I have never seen one for sale at any of the other local nurseries, not even in the pricey places.
    Renee

• rjlinva
    12 years ago

Claire,

There is a fantastic nursery just outside of Fredericksburg, Virginia that has an excellent collection of antique and old garden roses. The nursery is Hartwood Roses. You can visit the nursery and see the roses growing yourself. Connie, the owner/proprietor, is a wealth of knowledge and experience in growing roses. I know that she has over 800 different varieties of roses on her beautiful property.

Connie has also organized an informal group for old garden rose enthusiasts which has met for the last few years both at her gardens and other "members'" gardens.

Be sure to check her out.

Robert

• zaphod42
    12 years ago

Another place to look for OGRs is at local gardening society plant sales. I went to one this spring and they had a few different options. They posted the options online prior to the sale for a bit of advance planning, but only had a few of each variety.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Not lately. I'd see a few here and there back when OGRs were "hot" in the late 90s, but have not seen any for five years at least. Arena and Austin were wholesaling a few, I think, but Arena went under and Austin cut back.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Plenty of rugosas, 'cause we are so close to the beach and there are a lot of inlets. Not an antique, but The Fairy is pretty popular, as is Zephrine Drouhin (a Bourbon, but all of the nurseries here call "Climber").

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Our Fred Meyer has carried a few DAs and my mom got two beautiful Blanc Double de Couberts there a few weeks ago. They only had two and she bought them both. Mainly they carry climbers, HTs and a few floribundas.

Luckily, we're about an hour away from Northland Rosarium, so we were able to pick out several beautiful old garden roses last spring. They ship roses all over the country and I'd get more, if I had any other places to hide them from the deer :)

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

I am lucky in that Chicago has an EXCELLENT garden center called Gethsemane Garden Center and they have a massive own-root OGR selection. They keep adding to it every year. If you live within driving distance of Chicago, I would highly recommend shopping there!

http://www.gethsemanegardens.com/Roses_s/60.htm

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Yes, but mostly Cecile Bruner and the yellow & white banksies.

Claire, most of us who love OGRs get them from mail order nurseries - of course, the closer the better. If I were you I would check out Hartwood and the OGR group there, and ask their advice.

We are lucky here in the No SF Bay area to have Vintage Gardens so close.

Jackie

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

Berkeley Horticulture, near San Francisco, had an odd rose assortment this year.
    Hundreds of H.T.s and Floribundas and Shrubs, the usual suspects that they sell, in addition to a few roses that I went to at once, and ignored most of the moderns:
    R. banksia lutea,
    Mutabilis,
    R. glauca.
    "Mlle Cecille Brunner" which were marked down to $15 each, and I bought two for the price of one.

They had dozens of cultivars of Austins, (Austin roses have lots of advertising) but I wasn't looking for Austin roses.

c. 50 miles from me, Regans in Fremont California used to sell a few Old Garden Roses but these were hidden in the back of the nursery, 50 yards away from the rows of rosebushes for sale, and I asked why they had them put so far away I was told
    "No one buys them"
    - gee, I wonder why?
    There were no signs posted that even hinted that an old garden rose might be on the property and I had to ask, and be shown where they were hidden away. I bought a "Mme. Alfred Carriere" Rugosas, and a "Paul Neyron" beside a "Felicite Parm." If I'd been a newbie and bought Paul Neyron and F.P." I would have wondered why the Felicite Parm. never re-bloomed

Luxrosa

• veilchen
    12 years ago

Hardly ever around here. Mostly Knockouts at the nurseries along with some poor-performing varieties that someone at some point convinced the nurseries were hardy, and they keep stocking year after year, even though the OGRs and Austins are hardier than most. A few DAs available but never any of the newer varieties. Yesterday I saw some potted DAs going for $40. No thanks, I'd sooner mail order from DA for about half that price and get a much larger bareroot than the skimpy ones they fit into the pots around here.

Thank god for Pickering.