Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

What's it called?

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Howdy,

It's been a long time since I've last posted, however, I sometimes stop by to read others' posts regarding violets.

Anyway, when African Violet trunks grow large, an operation is required.
The operation consists of cutting the main trunk, then potting in new soil/container.

My question: What is this operation called?

The name rubber-necking came to mind, but I couldn't find info on Google or here on GW.

Thanks, Toni

Comments (17)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Toni,
    Potting down a neck?

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Planto :)

I guess..
    I'm asking the name, 'if there is a name,' when the trunk of an AV grows tall and needs to be cut down.

I broached this topic in 2009/10, but can't find the thread.

Would you happen to know the name? Thanks, Toni

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Toni,

I don't think there is a specific name for this. At least, I've never heard one.

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Linda,

I could have sworn, back in 2009/10, a few people here had a name for cutting the trunk. :)

I'm losing it, I swear..lol. Toni

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Toni,
    I meant that as that's the only term I could find for it. "potting down a neck" on Optimara's website. Don't know that's the term you're looking for.

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Planto, I did a search on this forum. My thread/s were from 2008.

I didn't read the entire thread since it had 101 posts. lol.

One discussion was about 'suckers.' At the time, I didn't know what a sucker was, so the wonderful people here, including Fred Hill, gave me great advice.

However, I can't find the thread about long necks. lol.

I'm not going to think about it anymore. The term may or may not come to mind...someday or never.

lol. Thanks, Toni

• tlovesflowers
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor, I believe I have found the posts that you are looking for. The term was rubber necking and if you look for posts under topic titled Annebelle & Isabella for April 19, 2011 you will see this term. I hope this is helpful to you.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tlovesflowers. Thanks. I found that thread/post yesterday. Did you notice, I asked in 2011 about rubber-necking? lol.

The topic of cutting back long necks took place around 2009/10.
    So, from 2009 to 2011 I forgot the term.

People come and go on GW. Have you noticed? Members who chatted here daily, 5-8-years ago, no longer stop by.
    It happens on all GW forums.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Toni

• tlovesflowers
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor, You are welcome. I have been reading this forum for awhile and always find it has new information and ideas by the members who have stopped by to participate. Although some may no longer stop by, new members often bring new ideas and questions to learn from.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Toni -

I believe it is rerooting the crown.- When the AV looks like a palm tree -you cut off the crown, strip the largest leaves off and stick the stalk in the soil. If covered - should be rooted easily in 1-2 weeks.

i.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TLoves.. You're right about new members posting different ideas. Questions & Answers.
    There's so many Violet questions that need answering.

Hey Irina. Are you the same Irina that helped me back in 2009/10? If so, how have you been? I hope well.
    How are your plants doing?
    Guess I shouldn't say, if so. lol. Even if you're not the same person how are you? :)

Toni

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Toni-

I feel ancient... probably good time to check myself out of the forum - and do something else...like scuba diving...

Yes - I am the same Irina :-))

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,

Wouldn't it be great if we could 'rewind,' time like a cassette? lol.

Nah, don't leave.

Scuba diving? I love but am terrified of water. Diving is something I couldn't/wouldn't do.
    I will read a scuba diving book though. :)

How are your violets doing? How many do you have now?

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I was kidding - I would love to try scuba diving but my ears would probably pop.

My violets are doing OK - way too many as usual - but I am growing more other gesneriads nowdays. I have the whole pool table of gessies in a basement. My hubby got the $299 pool table - and it got hopelessly warped in a year - so I got lights above it - and now I can grow tall plants.

I.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Irina,

I love swimming in water 4' and under. :)

Ah, which Gesneriads are you growing?
    Wow, a pool table filled with plants! And lights to boot. lol
    Great idea.

Does your basement flood? Is flooding the reason the pool table warped?
    Flooding is awful Our basement gets so much water, you can ride a canoe down there.

You're adding plants, I'm trying to unload many..Not violets, mostly succulents.
    I've contacted 2 local conservatories, but neither need more plants. One conservatory is small, and they're not interested in duplicates..
    The second is remodeling their desert-house..

I guess I'm going to learn how to use Ebay, and sell..An expeience for sure.
    I'm afraid..lol.

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

I call it "decapitation" for the sake of dramatic flair.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Toni -

My understanding that normal pool tables have slate slabs for the horizontal surface and cost like a small car. Whatever is not made of slate will eventually warp from humidity = and cardboard ones warp really fast. So - no flood, just 40% humidity from plants was plenty high to make the surface wavy.

Good luck with ebay. seems like a full time job.

irina