Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish_gw

Do you ever cut off Flower Stalks?

Wish
17 years ago

Hi There!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. I was wondering if you give your AV a break from flowering every now and then. I have a constant bloomer that's been flowering all winter. The leaves are looking a little tired lately and the latest batch of stalks are not as plentiful.

Should I give it a break and cut off the the two flower stalks I see coming up? I've read somewhere that one systematically cuts off stalks until before a big show so it looks fuller. Does that make sense to do in this situation?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Wish

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    17 years ago

yes - you can do it. Or you can give them a feed with a weak solution of the fish emulsion or manure tea or alfa alfa tea - weak is the word - or you can give them an epsom salt supplement - I guess 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Or all the above. Or nothing at all.

The most important thing is to keep a good eye on the plant - because tired look, loss of shine on the leaves, droopiness - it can be a sign of root rot - and the plant is going to keel over very soon. So - investigate the stem at the soil level and slightly under - and if it is it - cut the crown, remove the big leaves and reroot.

good luck

Irina

• greenthumbgardener
    17 years ago

AV's naturally look a lot better in cooler weather. With the onset of warmer weather, if you keep your plants in a temperature of around 80F for too long, they will slow down and refuse to bloom. Try moving them to a less sunny location for the summer, and see if that helps.

• korina
    17 years ago

Well, that all depends on where you live, doesn't it? :-P

We're hoping to get up to the low 60s today, with a 60% chance of scattered showers. We call it June Gloom; seems to be endemic to the west coast. Even in high summer it *may* reach 80 for an hour in the afternoon.

Korina, sun deprived

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Korina - you can get envious - we already hit 96 - and it is going to stay around 90-s till the end of August. My streps want to go to the basement now. And if it will rain - it is either virga - nothing reaches the soil - or God forbid thunderstorm with whatever size hail. But the nights are 60.

Irina, love it here in Denver

• korina
    17 years ago

Oooo, Irina, I'm practically green with envy (not). I've seen those summer storms; I remember visiting Colorado Springs, and it would cloud up and rain for an hour each day, then clear back up. You could practically set your clock by those storms.

Korina, happy to be a flatlander, 'cause there's so many fewer nose bleeds

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Korina - you get adjusted and do not get any more nose bleeds in several months - but you keep picking your nose and scratching your back - waay too dry - single digits humidity. At the end of July we start a monsoon season - at 2 pm clouds come and 3 drops hit the ground - but it is cooler. Still month and some to go.

My streps got through their spring blooming season and just surviving now. Violets do Ok and bloom all the time.

Irina

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022