Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Pics of plantings after the slaughter

ademink
12 years ago

Well, I am still alive after planting all three trees in one day. I'm still not sure how I got that massive hawthorn rootball across the yard and in the hole but where there is a will...there is a way!

Dan, I'd like to just point out that these were all planted high...root flares are abounding. LOL also, all rope, burlap, wire, partridges in pear trees were removed! :D

Two nights after being planted, a HUGE storm came through w/ flat-line winds of around 60mph. they didn't budge. thank you Jesus...i would've left them where they fell. LOL

btw, it looks like they are planted closer than they actually are. it's just the way they are staggered...can't get the perspective right on photo. don't be skeered.

{{gwi:372272}}

Winter King hawthorn

{{gwi:372273}}

Forest Pansy redbud...in a forest of crispy hosta and arisaema

{{gwi:372274}}

Venus dogwood

{{gwi:372275}}

{{gwi:372276}}

Comments (20)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Your Redbud looks quite nice!

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I love your redbud...really wish they were hardy in my zone! Besides the spring flowers and pretty year long color, I think it develops a very nice shape.

I'm sure your hostas wish the trees would grow faster, LOL.

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The redbud is really pretty. i was saying NO to both redbud and dogwood...and then came home w/ two of each. lol

the hawthorne will be fabulous long-term. i'm really excited about the multi-season interest and draw for wildlife.

the redbud is tough as far as transplanting that large. trying to water well but not drown, etc. it was in an understory situation in the nursery and now, HELLO SUNSHINE!

i'm on the garden tour next year so hopefully things will acclimate to the great increased sun in this bed by then. otherwise, live and learn from my drama, people. lol

by the way, this is what it looked like when the boxelder was still there this year:

{{gwi:372277}}

see it's crazy dr suess self back by the fence? lol

{{gwi:372278}}

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ps i can't believe ken never chimed in once on the madness of my original thread. what's happening to you, ken??? ;D

• conniemcghee
    12 years ago

Everything looks great ademink! Wow, your pond is amazing. That is gorgeous, and looks huge.

Did you have your boxelder taken out, or did nature take its course? Just curious. I have two of those in the back. They're enormous. Really don't like the boxelder bugs that come with...

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Dude... so nice. That redbud is FABULOUS above those hosta(s)

• Rugged96
    12 years ago

very nice! something to aspire to.

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thx j0n...as a blonde, 5'3" female, i've never been called DUDE before...rofl!!! love it!

connie - thanks! i had the boxelder taken out b/c the power company kept taking its course on it. it would chunk out half of it, it would sucker and the other half that wasn't butchered was in serious decline.

i never minded the boxelder bugs much but it was a catastrophe waiting to happen (and the seedlings...UGH)

the pond is around 20K gallons. used to be an inground swimming pool that i converted.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Did you personally design the pool conversion and subsequent planting? That is absolutely fantastic! I saw your pic in another thread had to pick my jaw up from the floor.

Sorry about the Dude comment, I was brain fried from the vibrant pics

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

not offended at all...i found it quite hysterical

yes i did design all of the above. i didn't end up doing all of the pond work b/c i'm not so much a talented skidsteer driver but in my mind i did it all. ha!

thanks so much for the compliments..its always a work in progress. my poor plants never get to settle for too long in one spot :)

here is what the yard looked like "before"....9 years ago.

{{gwi:170354}}

{{gwi:170356}}

here are a few "roof shots" early may...shows you what a little obsession and bargain plants can do to a space lol:

{{gwi:372280}}

{{gwi:363988}}

{{gwi:363987}}

• plethora87
    12 years ago

Hey ademink. So how does one get a tree as big as that Hawthorn to their house? Delivery?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

That's cool. Never underestimate crazy or obsessive! Well done.

Dan

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks a lot Dan :)

plethora...yes, i had this one delivered. i did stick a 12', 300 lb b&b vanderwolf's in my mazda tribute a few years ago though. hehe that was an adventure.

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

Just beautiful ademink, love the new trees (and everything else!)

• sheila56
    12 years ago

What an inspiration to me. You've done such a nice job with your yard. Time to make another flower bed here:)

Sheila

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

My goodness! That has been a bit of work.

If any of the delivery guys give me lip tomorrow we just might call you and ask for help moving dressers and armoires up stairs lol.

• miclino
    12 years ago

The before and after pics are astonishing. If only we could all be as inspired.

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol tornado...i need a few months to recover after planting these trees!

thanks for the kind words everyone :)

• terrene
    12 years ago

Nice pond! Did you have your pool removed? Love the gardensf and the new trees. What is that stump doing in the middle of the yard?

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i removed the concrete around it and tore out 1.5 walls. the other concrete walls are there, just disguised w/ a liner and well-placed rocks to make it look like it isn't square.

the stump is a chunk from the boxelder that was cut down. it isn't "attached"...just hasn't been moved :)