Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faintlymacabre

Well! What an Optimara Surprise

quimoi
9 years ago

I picked up some Optimaras at Lowe's yesterday. I usually try to id them, although it's normally tentative at this point, sometimes it's more like "blue, white edge" until it grows and blooms for me and then I can evaluate it better. At best they have ? after the name.

Anyway I really thought this one was Seurat. It was kind of a pink color with a white eye and the leaves were light and shaped right (I guess it's not ruffled). Imagine my shock when I took out the Lowe's stake, pulled it out of it's pot, and found a stake that says "Dali." Maybe it will get more purple in time, although if it's what I had before, it was always pink. I guess it is a star. I've never gotten a row stake.

Diana

Comments (6)

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Hooray for you! I usually poke around the plants looking for a forgotten stake and have found two marked in the last year. Its rare however. Imagine my surprise then when we stopped at a Walgreen drug store on a trip through Wisconsin a couple of years ago and I found a table of Optimaras each bearing its official name label. I hadn't seen these so labeled in many years; unfortunately, we had to hit the road so I couldn't inquire who supplied the store. Needless to say, I checked a local Walgreen when I returned home. . . didn't even see a violet, let alone one with a label so I figure the Wisconsin store may have been supplied by a local nursery.

Terri

• quimoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suppose if you use your imagination, you might call it purple. It's not my idea of purple. I never looked for stakes but I've been at Lowe's a little more lately than before.

I think I now own something like 6 Chicos. Just don't ask...

I wanted Kentucky but I think it may be Miho, not sure what it is. Dali is what I had before and it was happy in my bathroom. I just got tired of it. It looked just like the AVSA photo and that's the only way I can remember what it was.

Despite the confusion, they still have some pretty good plants and the price is good. I just repotted Red Rocket again. It is a fussy thing for me and it may not last much longer. I think if it had come from Lowe's it would be gone by now. It's small, it sulks, it may bloom and look nice for a bit, but it quits or the blooms fade.

Diana

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

When I came over here for an ID recently, ultimatley identified 'Dali', it was big white blotches. By the time it was IDed, it had an almost all pinky-purple bloom. Solidly colored.

{{gwi:367079}}

• Karin
    9 years ago

That's why it can be hard to ID some plants - they change appearance with growing conditions.
    Take Optimara Montana for example - it is supposed to be white, but often shows purple specks or even blooms depending on temperature...

I actually buy plants showing two different colors/blooms on purpose - hoping one half is original, the other sporting - still waiting to see if i can observe one turning into a chimera (hey, one can always hope....)

Now if only i were more successful at bloom stalk propagation.... gotta try more =D

Karin

• terrilou
    9 years ago

This is Optimara Montana II in its summer colors as identified by Optimara. I actually like it better than the solid white. This should probably be labled as a sport of Montana. It just illustrates how changeable Optimaras can be.

Terri

• quimoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do love the way your O. Montana looks! However, I don't think I'd have guessed it. I'm not familiar with O. Montana at all though.

My old O. Dali looked exactly like the first photo on the AVSA photo gallery. This one doesn't look like that at the moment but who knows what will happen? It is a big star and I clearly am at a loss to explain the color. It certainly isn't as purplish as rob333's appears on my monitor. It is some pinkish tone. Right now it's disbudded and quarantined.

Wait a minute = are those blossoms stars (5 pollen sacs/anthers) on your plant? I only see 4. Dali is a star. I know that sometimes my first blooms seem to have trouble "getting it together" though.

Seurat is listed and shown as a pansy and that looks more like Seurat to me (if it's a pansy). I just looked at MyViolet trying to figure out some other ones.

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 11:53