Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Prune seedling oak now or wait?

franktank232
10 years ago

I've got a seedling oak (don't know what, but some sort of red/white oak)...maybe 5 feet tall...lots of side branches, some very low....prune now or wait until fall/spring? Obviously i want a clean trunk until x feet?

Comments (13)

• brad_s
    10 years ago

Spring would have been best, but if you're really anxious to do this, I suppose you can do it now.

*Only* because this tree is a sapling, and I'm going to assume growing vigorously is it OK to do this now. Personally, if you can stand it, I'd just let 'er grow where it will to feed that root system, and then prune in the spring, taking no more than 1/3 of the growth.

Just my 2 cents..

Brad N IL/Z5

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

First, what is your goal in pruning? Without that information, I don't think we can even begin to address the issue.

Second, any chance of a picture or two with a description of what you plan to do?

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Doesn't red oak get something when pruned now? Seems to me Reds get something Whites can't get from open pruning in the wrong season in some locales.

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

5 feet is a very young tree, Unless there is a "limb" (not quite big enough to use that term) I would wait several years before trimming to see how the tree is going to grow.

Once it has a grow for a couple of years, the tree will show you where it needs trimmed.

With a tree this young it is quite easy to take too many lower branches off, and end up with the tree that is too spindly to stand by itself.

This post was edited by knuttle on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 21:59

• brad_s
    10 years ago

Dzitmoidonc is thinking of Oak Wilt, and is correct. Pruning mature Red Oaks after late March (in Z5 anyway) is to be avoided.

*However* this rule can be bent in young trees such as this because they are growing with so much vigor and can heal over any injuries so quickly.

Brandon's Q is a valid one too, especially for 'adolescent' trees, and pics are always helpful.

Cheers!

Brad N IL/Z5

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:377296}}

Here is the pic...3rd year...probably more like 4ft...1st year spent in a container ... The rabbit pruned it some over the winter (its dead now)... I'm kind of going with the "feed the root system/more leaves=more roots?" idea of it...plus, its hot this time of year...and its already July...so maybe just let it be...

My idea is that i don't want 2 huge trunks in 15 years or whatever..i want one clean (straight) trunk of maybe 7ft? before branching off...i want to shape it somewhat so it isn't all crazy... Just prune off everything except the central leader?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I'm kind of going with the "feed the root system/more leaves=more roots?" idea of it

==>>> oh man do i love it.. when you quote my own thoughts.. and beat me to the punch line ...

you are way ahead of the curve here ...

in the pic.. i dont get the branch at 7o'clock ... looks like it is laying on the ground...

i would take that one after the leaves fall off ... as you note.. the leaves will be doing their work until then ...

and then.. noting the three leaders ...

now.. what i cant see ... is where the 3 top branches are connected.. are they all from the same point .... that is going to be the tricky one.. in the future.. and i MIGHT!!!! .. subordinate one of those in late fall ...

most of my pruning.. for height.. is done when the tree is nudey ... so as to better see structure.. and the future ...

send us some more pix when such.. and we can go from there.. then ... +om would tell you ... where is he ???.. to prune in winter ... on oak ... or so he told me ... giving the plant time to take care of biz... before the bug season .... i think he told me .. for MI.. to be done by 4/1 ... but i told him.. i dont do ladder work in snow ... etc ... [long time before you need to worry about that ...]

ken

ps: most of my pruning.. involves.. the tree knocking off my hat while riding the lawn mower.. or walking by.. to put it all in perspective.. you gotta at least wait until yours is tall enough to hit the hat.. lol

pps: if i were you .. i would surround the tree with some chicken wire ... held in with a bamboo stake ... or two... if you think you got rid of your ONLY rabbit.. well ... good luck with that ... i would leave it there for about 4 years ... a foot wide circle or so .... and take into account.. snow cover ... as the rabbits can walk on top of snow .. and your little protector wont do any good.. if it is buried a foot down ....

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken-

Yes...i protect it with hardware cloth...but it was one of those snowy winters and the rabbit was able to just chomp away from the top, so i'll have to go taller with it... i have to protect everything small with cloth here because the rabbits are terrible.

I'll prune in winter.

Yes..the branch is laying on the ground...my logic was more leaves, more roots...but is that true..i have no idea... I'm just trying to get some size as fast as possible..i want some shade in this area...

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Best guess for that is a burr oak, or a hybrid of it. Definitely not a "red" oak. Good growth this season.

Me, I'd wait a few yrs cutting it -- just not necessary yet.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Good looking leaf shape, too. Looks like you have a keeper!

John

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Frank, in so young of a tree, there is simply no urgency to much of anything, other than letting it grow and develop. Having said that, it is also not the end of civilization if you snip a branchelt or two off. It is true that foliage feeds the root system, so anything beyond a very minor tweeking would be frowned on (by me).

Looks like perhaps a bur oak. I say perhaps because I can't quite make it out in the pic. But it looks like it's going to have "macrocarpas"!

+oM

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've only grown fruit trees up until this point, some i'm use to "shaping" trees early (and pruning regularly), but I guess in this case its not fruit, but shade i'm after...so whatever gets me the most growth, the quickest is probably leaving as much leaf surface as i can...at least for the foreseeable future? I'll probably just remove some of the lowest branches/broken/etc in the offseason.

I had no idea what it was...just figured it was a red oak or white.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

I'm with beng and +oM in that you've been blessed with a Burr Oak. Good stuff!

Brad N IL/Z5

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz