Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riku_gw

The Alba Blooms

riku
16 years ago

I thought tonight I would do a systematic photographing of all my alba blooms for my album ... Pompom Blanc Parfait is just about done so it was time. I label them as per the tag except in one case ... also was not able to photo Maidens Blush - still waiting. All in all fairly reliable roses and in their way truly majestic comes to mind as a descriptor ... even if short up here - though celestial with protection hits an easy 5 feet and alba maxima has a 6 footer.

Loaded up the gardens this fall with more including Minnette ... and I think Amelia ... all Pickering versions.

Alba Maxima

{{gwi:288468}}

Alba semi-plena

{{gwi:288469}}

Armide

{{gwi:288471}}

Blush Hip

{{gwi:288472}}

Celestial

{{gwi:288473}}

Félicité Parmentier

{{gwi:288474}}

Great Maidens Blush

{{gwi:288476}}

Jean D'Arc

{{gwi:288478}}

Pompom Blanc Parfait

{{gwi:288479}}

Sauveolens

{{gwi:288480}}

{{gwi:288481}}

Comments (17)

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhhh shoot wrong forum ....

• emilyg
    16 years ago

Beautiful pics, Riku. I may have to order some of these.

BTW, did you see the post about Geschwind directed to you?

If not, do look it up in the archives, as you were directly mentioned.

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

Riku, those are beautiful. My 'Blush Hip' has a very long
    bloom period, much longer than 'Veilchenblau' for example.
    I wonder if that is the case with most of them.
    Your shot of 'Celestial' is gorgeous, that bloom is
    glowing!
    Alida

• york_rose
    16 years ago

Mmmmmmmm! :-)

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, we always benefit from these accidentally mis-aimed posts :)

Does your 'Maxima' usually have so few petals, or is it just a young plant? That cultivar should be significantly better endowed with them than 'Semi-plena'.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your 'Minette' bloom (and buds, and leaves). As you know, I'm thoroughly convinced that rose is 'Banshee', and not even remotely an alba of any kind. The upshot of that is it'll probably be hardier for you than the albas, its balling issues aside (although depending on which 'Banshee' clone it is, this could be no big deal). I've been hoping to see a Pickering version of it so they can be informed of the mistake before more damage is done in its long-term identity crisis... I just want to be sure before saying anything.

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

I have all of these-our bloom is very long which is nice. It is a favorite class for me. I love that blush pink. I have to agree with you Stephan. Their Minette is a NOT...and I also think it is Banshee. For one thing Minette is supposed to be SMALL-and their Minette is huge plus you cant miss those turbinate hips. The wretch has some blooms for a change-it generally manages to open maybe one or two..like wads of pale pink tissue paper. It is very fragrant I have to say..still it is not Minette and unless Pickering has made a change I would think twice about the location. Mine is in the wrong place.

patricia

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

I was thinking the same as Stefan, that the Maxima photo really doesn't look significantly different from Semi-plena and it should. Do you see any differences between them that we're not picking up in the photos?

Felicite Parmentier and Sauvolens both tempt me, Riku - but I really don't need to be enlarging the gardens, really I don't.

Ok, so I'm only popping a little sticky note reminder in my notebook - just in case I need something to fill out an order next spring...;-)

Thanks for posting the whole collection. Wrong forum or not, I've enjoyed your post!

Anne

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

Well, I wrote to Pickering about 'Minette' and gave them the short story along with the best evidence I could muster (collected descriptions of the real 'Minette' from Dickerson versus Leonie Bell on 'Banshee'), asking them to look over their stock and decide for themselves whether they're actually selling 'Banshee'. Hopefully that will help stem the tide of the naming confusion on this continent. I'm afraid Scandinavia might be too hard a nut to crack due to the language barrier, though. Maybe someday.

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Hi Riku,
    Yes,such lovely photos! I have felicite Parmentier and Chloris, and I'm really looking forward to next spring. I did get 2 small, but exquisite, blooms from FP this first year, so that was exciting! But even without flowers, they make lush, healthy, well-shaped shrubs.
    Judith

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

How wonderful are the Albas! I admire you in zone 3. I can plant any old thing while you must use your expertise.

• autumnshowers
    16 years ago

I have been trying to get my hands on every alba. These photos are beautiful. I had a one months show of my albas this May. They are worth the flush.

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

Oh, those are so beautiful. Do you grow yours in part shade? Just how much shade can they tolerate and still bloom well?

I've been looking at Celestial, the backlighting on that one is so pretty. There are several others there that are very nice.

Do they just bloom once?

I will have to put some of these on my list for next year, you enabler, you lol.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I had palpitations at the sight of Celestial. Congratulations once again. What beautiful roses, what patience and perseverence.

• bogie
    16 years ago

Looking at your pics, I can't wait until my Armide grows up (got a slip just a couple months ago)!

• veilchen
    16 years ago

beautiful! I just got Felicite Parmentier this year and will have to wait til next year before it blooms. Thanks for sharing.

• riku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks folks, about alba maxima, yes I should of been more selective in the bloom photographed as only about 1/3 of the bush has bloom petal count that low the rest are fuller and more cupped. You happened to spot the rose bush that in my opinion was really mislabeled ... Great Maiden's Blush was the tag, I refused to accept it. The photo of Great Maidens Blush was labeled alba maxima, declined to accept that tag also. Fortunately KvD also bloomed today, but is tender up here.

• williamcartwright
    16 years ago

It was a pleasure to see these Riku. As a class the beauty of Albas is unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned.

Despite concerns that my climate may not prove best, I've got an Alba Maxima started. It may yet prove a "folly" but the Huntington in Pasadena (which has very similar conditions to me) is successful with it, and I love it too much not to try.

Perhaps my favorite rose.

Thanks for the pictures, seeing them was a pleasure!

Bill