Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomva_gw

whats your fav.thing to preserve or can

tomva
13 years ago

Mine is Annies salsa I learned about it last year in either the tomatoe forum or harvest forum...very very good I highly recommend it...

Comments (11)

• bakemom_gw
    13 years ago

Pickles- dills or bread and butter. Yum.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I don't do pickles any more, my vintage recipe isn't approved to current standards and I haven't found one for crisp pickles we like as well :(

I love having my own tomatoes. Green beans (which I cannot eat frozen) I make a case of raspberry jelly for my BIL every year, so simple and he thinks I'm genius :)

This year I canned a few clams for dips and chowder, but had to campaign for some for canning - somehow clamming has become a group event any more with family having a house at the beach. We meet, dig together, clean them together, eat together, there's never any left.

My biggest annual canning job is tuna but it's a household staple - I don't think I've picked up canned at the store in 20 years.

I've heard wonderful things about Annie's salsa and have been wanting to try it, maybe this year.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I have always done jams and jellies. Had high hopes last year of doing tomato sauce, pickles, canned veggies, salsa, pie fillings. Same ambitious plans this year.

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

Peppadew peppers - AWESOME!!

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I haven't made it in a few years, but Tomato Soup.
    emmmmmmmmmm,yummy
    cAROL

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    13 years ago

tomatoes
    green beans
    a soup base of onions, okra, and tomatoes
    fig preserves
    watermelon rind pickle
    watermelon rind preserves

They're all easy, yummy, and so pretty on the shelf.

Barbara in Virginia

• bookjunky4life
    13 years ago

My favorite is applesauce. Love that smell of boiling apples!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Sweet Pepper Jelly, raspberry ginger fig jam, 9 day pickles (I use an old recipe but there's so much vinegar in it, there is no possible way for it to spoil :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

girlgroup, my old recipe for snappy crisp dills (with a really interesting history - Ma Kettle's, The Egg and I book Kettles) was 1 qt vinegar to 3 of water, am told that doesn't work with vinegar currently 5% instead of more like 7% many years ago. I tried making it a 50/50 mix and it changed the taste too much, made them too pucker-y. More wrong with it than that really, they weren't BWB either - I miss them.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I only started growing tomatoes last year and didn't have very many left over. So I made my own sun dried tomatoes to use in other recipes over the winter. They turned out pretty well and taste great in pasta sauces. I didn't want to have the oven on when it was so hot outside so I used the toaster oven and then froze them. :o)

• moonphase
    13 years ago

I found annie's salsa 3 yrs ago and it has become my all time favorite to can...but this past summer I canned alot of peach preserves that are just awesome too and I canned fig preserves are good too,but are not a favorite of mine.
    moonphase