Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

We like May Night salvia, don't we?

mxk3 z5b_MI
15 years ago

I sure hope this is in the "oldie but goodie" category, because that's what I bought.

Any problems I should be on the alert for? Any special care required?

I plopped them in full sun, soil on the leaner and drier side, I needed something that can take drier conditions once established, and the darker spikes will look great in front of my blindingly white chimney. For reference, dianthus, lavender, zebra grass, and catmint are thriving in this area, and I also just planted an Echinops and a few 'Vera Jameson' sedum along with the 'May Night' salvia to fill in the area.

Comments (17)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Easy plant in dry, lean soil. Should play well with its neighbors.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Yes, we do like S. 'May Night'. It will do well with the conditions you describe. In my garden, the first bloom is in May. After bloom, I deadhead by cutting all the flower stalks back to the basal growth. It comes back into bloom in August.

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Oh yes, I wished I had got May Night myself! I got Salvia Caradonna instead, and the stems are not as erect and upright as I wanted them to be. They kind of lean over and so they look a bit messy. I think that May Night probably would be more upright.... right?

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

I grow both S. 'May Night' and S. 'Caradonna' and like them both. Salvia 'Caradonna' is not as tidy a plant as 'May Night' as you've noticed. It also doesn't rebloom as well for me. Still, it's a good plant.

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Spazzycat, I think you have also brought up another great point - Caradonna does not rebloom very well at all! So, mxk3, you should be happy with your May Night! In fact, I may just yank out my Caradonna and replace them with May Night....

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great! Glad I made a good choice. I've seen 'Caradonna' everywhere this year, but 'May Night' has been hard to find. I like the darker blooms, which is why I wanted 'May Night'.

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Good for you, mxk3! :-)

Now, comparing May Night to East Friesland, I wonder which one has a more upright habit, and which one re-blooms better?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Having never gotten repeat bloom from May Night, and having East Friesland putting out a good reblooming show right now... the answer has to be East Friesland (surprise!) May Night is more upright. again it isn't even close.

• linlily
    15 years ago

Yes I do love May Night. I take scissors to mine and cut off spent flowers for almost continuous rebloom. I will be doing it again this week and should have rebloom until frost. It's easily one of my favorite perennials.

Linda

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

For me Caradonna is much more upright and has been in almost constant bloom all summer with deadheading. May Night spends most of it's time laying on the ground. With deadheading it reblooms pretty well but I don't get to see much of the blooms cause they're alway in the dirt.Both are in full sun.

• arbo_retum
    15 years ago

i have TERRIBLE problems w slugs on my May Nights. do any of you?
    best,
    mindy

• janicej11
    15 years ago

I snip off all the spent spikes in the beginning of the season, but it gets tedious. Maybe I should just cut "way" back next season. It doesn't bloom much after the snipping...just a few flowers here and there. I've heard it blooms til frost, but it just mildews for me. It's living in a good half day sun (morning and then some afternoon). What am I doing wrong?

Mindy - I've not had slugs that I can see on mine. What other plants do you have surrounding the May Nights?

• arbo_retum
    15 years ago

janice, the may nights are the only plants in their respective plantings - that the slugs eat!!! same is true of my brunnera and kirengeshoma and rudbeckia herbstsonne: in their respective plantings, they are the only slug candy.
    what a drag.
    best,
    mindy

• janicej11
    15 years ago

Mindy - I know how disappointing that can be. Watching the leaves become decimated is so frustrating. Have you had this problem in the past? Maybe spraying with some soapy water so the slugs can't grab on?

• woodyswife
    15 years ago

OK, I like it, but.....mine does not grow. I've had it for several years in two spots. It's almost the same size as when I first planted it and looks healthy, I get a few pretty blooms once a year and that's it. Today I dug these up and added composted cow manure and put them back in place. I'm going to give it a month or so and see what happens.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I cut all mine back with the weedeater several times each season. Individually cutting each branch is too tedious.
    They get some miracle grow then and in a couple weeks new blooms.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I never cut mine back at all last year and they bloomed all summer into the fall. They didn't flop and the bees loved them. They have already come back and two of four have their first blooms. No fuss in my experience. Nikki