Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pequafrog

Tadpoles

pequafrog
19 years ago

We caught some tadpoles today at the preserve, and put them in the 75. Wasn't the weather unbelievable??!!!

-Andy

Comments (15)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Exciting - I've been looking for them around here - especially since the peepers are starting to slow down their calling, but haven't come across any yet.

What delightful phibian do you think yours belong to?

• skygee
    19 years ago

I was out all day long working in the yard and garden! My koi are looking fat and happy and hungry. The pond looks terribly empty of all things green though. And it's still too early for plants!

Glad you had a fun day! When I was a kid I always loved watching tadpoles get their legs and lose their tails.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm pretty sure they're Bullfrogs. Some of them are so big the kids called one of them Tadzilla!
    I actually have so Cattails reaching up out of the water. It's so nice to see growth. I have 3 Lotus' started in rubbermaid containers in the bath tub. I wonder when I can bring them out...?

Still a kid,
    -andy

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Wow - where are you generally on Long Island that has Bullfrogs?

Although I now live in Virginia, I was born & raised on Long Island. And although I found a helluva a lot of American Toad & Green Frog tadpoles, can't say I ever came across Bullfrogs.

• skygee
    19 years ago

I have not been able to plant anything deep in my pond... the koi really wreak havoc on plants in my pond! I've given up. ;)

I do have rushes and marginals along side. But I've tried with lilies and lotus... the koi rip the new growth up before they hit the top of the water line!

So I just put in floaters like water lettuce, poppies and hyacinths. It's about all I can do. The koi eat up duckweed and fairy moss like it's candy.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm in Massapequa.
    We caught the tads in the Massapequa Preserve. It actually has a bike path that starts at Merrick Rd. and ends at Bethpage State Park.

-andy

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Okay - I'm somewhat familiar with Bethpage State Park from when I did volunteer stint doing some environmental/nature teaching to kids.

I'm originally from the Setauket/Stony Brook area - so further east than you. Like I said - always found plenty of toads & green frogs, but no bulls.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Breezy...have you ever gone to Caleb Smith State Park?

-andy

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Yup - have been there many many times, although not recently.

Moved down to Virginia in 1994.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

How do you like Virginia? Did yo go for a job? Climate? How does it compare to LI as far as traffic/house prices and taxes? Are you near the ocean? I could never live far from the ocean...but we have considered moving out of state for the sake of the kids (all 5 of them). I'm afraid they won't be able to afford to live here. Generally, are you happy you made the move?

Sorry to pick your brain!
    -andy

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I LOVE Virginia. Although, I'm not anywhere near the ocean, which is the only thing I really miss.

We moved down here when my husband's company was doing a move & offered him a job. Hubby has a serious commute (approx. 1-1/2 hours), but if he had to go the same distance in NY it would be worse. Taxes are a minute fraction of what they are in NY. House prices? I'm the proud owner of 21 gorgeous acres for less than $200,000. Just think about what THAT would cost on Long Island - lol!!! The house is a fixer-upper, but not the kind of fixer-upper that would make you run away. Very, very habitable while we work on it.

I couldn't be happier with the move & would do it again in a - how do they say it? - a "New York minute" - lol!!!

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

how big are we talking here? i thought the treefrog tadpoles were too big to be treefrogs. then, i found out different! they are very dark. but, they don't get near the size of bullfrog or greenfrog tads.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The bigger one's are about 4" long and FAT!

-andy

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Well my water lilies are sprouting leaves and so far my Koi are leaving them alone. My waterfall pond is the watering hole for my 3 small brown frogs. I have no idea what type they are. I just purchased a solid white/silver 4" Koi. I couldn't resist him/her. Temperature here have been warm and Sunny but this Sunday a possible flurries. I thought we were done with the snow.
    Theresa

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

yes, we had snow, too!

4" long tadpoles, hmmmmmm definitely not your treefrog types.

Sponsored