Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianinthcity

Betta help please

brianinthcity
16 years ago

Hi, I am new to Betta so bare with my ignorance. I had two female Betta in a one galln bowl, as the petco store said this was a fine way to keep them. They were very happy for a week, they played with each other, took naps together and got along fine. They were very cute to watch. Then today I came home and one of them had died. She seemed great this morning. I noticed a white-ish residue around the bowl where the water had evaporated. Any thoughts about this? Was two too many? Is the fish thats left going to be lonely, they really semed to like each other.Thanks

Comments (3)

• woeisme
    16 years ago

"Any thoughts about this? Was two too many? Is the fish thats left going to be lonely, they really semed to like each other.Thanks"

Yes 2 fish in a bowl is 2 too many. Use the bowl for candy or soup. Get a small aquarium with filtration, cover and a quality heater. Petco had shelf kits that where about 6 gallons. The eclipse tanks are also inexpensive for what you get and the quality. An ideal betta set up is 5 or more gallons, moderatly to heavy planted maintained by the aid of an adjustable heater between 76-80F degrees. Your fish most likely died from ammonia poisoning or water quality issues of a bowl kept fish. Sometimes female bettas get agressive toward each other as they mature, but I would guess that the real problem is the bowl and the toxic water conditions created by keeping fish in them. The pet stores will swear that is all they need. Either they are uninformed and told to market them that way or just liars.

• grammas
    16 years ago

WHOA!!! There... I am a Pet Shop owner and I do not appreciate being called a Liar!!!.Please do not paint us all with the same brush..
    Now having said that...in my shop you would have been told not to put 2 female Batas in a small bowl like that..IF you were even going to put 1 betta in a bowl you would have been told to change 1/2 of the water once every 5-7 days with water that has been siting out for 24 hours so that you can achieve the same temp as the water it is in. The whitish residue you speak of is calcium and tells me you should not be using that water. It also tells me you have not added or changed any water in the time you have had them.

• woeisme
    16 years ago

grammas:
    "WHOA!!! There... I am a Pet Shop owner and I do not appreciate being called a Liar!!!.Please do not paint us all with the same brush.. "

Thank you for pointing out my incorrect statement. I should have said "MOST pet stores". I was targeting pet store staff that give horrible advise, like having 2 female bettas or any 2 fish in a bowl. There are very few stores that don't give bad advise on bettas. If it is because they really don't know what they are talking about, or just don't care they are giving bad advise. If you told most of your customers that it would be best to keep these fish in a decent sized aquarium that is in cycle, and the involvement of that and/or cost, most would turn around and walk out without purchasing the fish and equiptment. For that reason, I lable MOST as misinformed or liars. I did not intend to insult you or any ethical pet shop owner/employee. But if you ( or any other pet stores) knowingly tell customers who are wondering why their fish is dead or sick, that a small bowl is all these fish need then you deserve to get painted with that very large brush, if the shoe fits, wear it!
    OK the fish may be able to live in a bowl, with partial water changes every 5-7 days. But, along with that crap advise should be, it will have a better chance of survival and it will be a better experience to have a more suitable sized aquarium. The fish will not have as many risks to parasites and disease in the proper temperature with no toxins like ammonia that are present only after a few days of fish poop or uneaten food rotting.

As far as the white residue, more then likely it is calcium. Why that is not OK to use the water without a hardness test doesn't make sense. Many people have high levels of calcium in their water supply and can keep fish in it without altering it in anyway. Calcium is a trace element in quite a few tropical fish lakes and rivers. Other reasons for the residue is the slime coat of the dead fish and other protiens and dissolved solids in the water. It could also be from some water conditioners whose ingredients make water acidic, like Amquel, and have calcium added to it to buffer it back up. Any products that have aloe in them like stress coat can also leave a white residue.
    The best thing for braininthecity to do is bring back the dead fish with a sample of the bowl water in a seperate container for the pet store to test. Most pet stores do this free of charge to their customers. The accuracy is another debate, but that is the least they owe the customer. A refund or replacement fish would be more like it though.