Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwesterlund_gw

Roses out of control!

dwesterlund
9 years ago

For many years, my roses maintained a really nice, consistent height of about 4'. Last year, I got carried away & pruned way low (down to about 1'). Now this year, they are all over the place; some really long branches, some branches growing straight along the ground. Did the pruning cause that, & if so, is this my punishment? Can I redeem myself?

Comments (9)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

What kinds of roses are you talking about? Some roses almost seem to thrive on severe pruning--like some hybrid teas. Others almost resent it.

A windstorm threw a really BIG oak branch down on my mature Buff Beauty, squashing it to the ground. I pruned back severely, watered, and waited--and not much happened. During the next couple years, my BB did very little growing, so I finally had to spade it and start over with a new one--which isn't as large but is healthy and vigorous and growing fine.

Nothing wrong with propping up some low-riding branches, however, until the rose gains back enough strength to hold its own.

Kate

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I suspect that your original roses may have died, and the rampant growth you are seeing may be rootstock.

If that is the case, your leaves and canes will look a bit different from the originals, and they either won't bloom, OR they will bloom just once, in the spring.

If your roses are Hybrid Teas, the rootstock in question is probably 'Dr. Huey.' There are other rootstocks, but that is the most-common.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Dr. Huey' on HelpMeFind

• patricianat
    9 years ago

If your roses have bloomed and they bloomed true, they are not Dr. Huey. If they have not bloomed since this severe pruning and amazing growth and/or have bloomed strange red blooms, they are most likely rootstock. Otherwise, it sounds like a good pruning was good for them. You might want to keep an eye out for odd blooms and next year, in case this is not rootstock, prune them lightly from time to time throughout bloom season, but no more than by one-third.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Hi, Patricia43!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Did the pruning cause that

==>>> NO!!!

and w/o pix.. the rest is speculation ...

ken

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Great seeing you, Michael. After losing 200-300 roses to a big dose of Round-Up (not of my doing), I am ready to start over but it took some time.

• dwesterlund
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all! Here's a pic of the roses. I forgot to mention that I have no idea what kind they are.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

No zone, no close-up of stamen, stem, bloom, no idea. You should give much more information than what is given. I don't want a dinner invitation, just enough information to try to help you with your rose question. They certainly do not appear to be hybrid tea roses from where I sit, but they could be some kind of shrub or China, etc.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

His original post seemed to indicate that he was in Zone 5 -- HOWEVER, yes. We'd need to see more close up images of the roses -- and if there's anything known about what sort of roses they are, that would be helpful.

That said, I see blooms on the left, and blooms on the right. A close look at those would be helpful.

Without more info, we can't help much.