Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanette_gw

strange thing coming out of my female guppy

lanette
16 years ago

My female (which was thought to be a boy!)guppy is having babies. She looks to have a pinkish sac of some sort hanging out. Is this part of the birthing process and if so which part?? and how long before babies?? I have never seen this before.

thanks LaNette

Comments (4)

• sherryazure
    16 years ago

Lanette:

First, Lanette, it is pretty easy in guppies to tell a female from a male, so lets makes sure it is a female.

One, do you actually see baby guppies swimming away? I am not being funny here, but it will say much with re to diagnosis to determine if it is a male or female. That said, males have this little pointy thing, called a gonopodium, (penis) and females do not of course.

(Internal fertilization - In many species of fish, fins have been modified to allow internal fertilization.)

(A gonopodium is a modified anal fin in males of certain species of live-bearing fish in the families Anablepidae and Poeciliidae. It is movable and used to impregnate females during mating.)

Females have this dark gravid spot (fetal area), where eggs get fertilized and babies grow. As they grow it gets darker and she gets fatter. It is under her belly towards the back of her body. Males today unless you have the plain old fashioned ones, have much more colorful tales, of different shapes and sizes. Females though more colorful then in past, are much plainer and larger often.

Generally, the males tend to be a bit more colorful fish, and are slender bodied. Female fish tend to be rounder bodied and larger than male fish.
    Males will have an adapted anal fin called a gonopodium, while females have a fan-shaped anal fin.
    On to your question:

Hmmm, I am not sure as I have never heard of that before, in people that would be a prolasped womb (usually in older post menopausal women). But having just gone though a fish nematode situation which started with a pink vent (anus) area with red things coming out (was hard to see in small fast moving fish, in my case blue neon rainbow) I am posting this link in case it turns out to be the same. The first shows guppies with this internal nasty parasite. So not sure but maybe can rule this out.

Best Sherry

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/experience.html

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_FA091

• fisherman_2007
    16 years ago

hi,
    i am planning on purchasing a 20gal. tank and I was wondering if I could put a rainbow shark in it. If so what fish and plants are best suited for this shark.

• judyfurlow
    16 years ago

I too have the same problem with my female guppy. She gave birth to six fry and then developed a strange, pink mass (bubble) that protrudes from her vent. I have posted the image on my website. http://www.twinch.net/misc/GuppyLump.jpg

It is not a parasite, but seems to be a prolapsed uterus, or possibly aborted eggs and undeveloped fry. I have found many references on-line to the similar problem, but so far no one seems to have a solution.

She is uncomfortable, but still eats well. I have put her in a hospital tank with some salt to alleviate some stress.

Any suggestions?

• sherryazure
    16 years ago

Judy, I only know that this condition in humans warrants removal ie sugery (mom was a nurse and this occurs to many woman later in life)...Of course there is no sugery for such a smal fish. Salt for osmotic regulatory resons are a good idea in case there are rips or small tears. Plus guppies like that anyway. Maybe it will expell naturally or just stay that way. It just means it has 'worn' out ie detached from it's natural place as an organ, and would be uncomfortable, but perhaps the fish will like people get used to it. People of course have an option, fish do not.

I am wondering however, if eggs/fry natural process gets disturbed may cause decay et al within the womb prolasped or not. This would be a disaster mho, as it means necrosis and other dying tissues as eggs and fry not developing and getting 'stuck' and decaying. Then I would put her down.

Best and sorry for your fish. Sherry

Sponsored