Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_gw

Please help me choose an azalea/rhodie.

rosie
17 years ago

I've fallen in love with pictures of lavender/mauve/purple azaleas in gardens with new spring foliage and want to develop the edges of a glade (construction disaster at present) at my new home with drifts of those colors. I would probably either need one or two, or possibly three, varieties for different sizes in different places and came here in the hopes of getting some knowledgeable assistance with choosing them.

Regarding details, location is upper-mid South/Blueridge foothills, zone 7A/B, hot humid summers, down to single digits sometimes in winters. Until young trees planted now get some growth, shrubs will have to handle perhaps 3 hours of high sun.

Besides color, I'd like to choose particularly for handsome foliage and graceful billowy form, and also a relatively disease-free and tough constitution. Self-cleaning varieties would be great if possible, and I actually prefer rather simple smaller flowers but would be happy with anything that's happy with my garden. Sizes--low, medium, and tall.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!