Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pweist

Thinning Vanderwolf Pines

pweist
10 years ago

I have 2 beautiful vanderwolf pines that are about 10 years old and have always been very healthy and I believe still are because there is alot of good growth at all the limb/branch ends. But this summer, I noticed I've lost ALOT of the inner fullness of the tree, to the point you can see right through it. I have never pruned it and didn't know you could do this to pines to promote inner fullness. My question is...can I expect the tree to fill back in? The tree is beneficial as a privacy tree, but not this summer. Is it too late to prune it now that it is a mature tree? The tree is probably 20 feet tall and 15 feet wide at its longest limb. Its such a beautiful tree.

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

For good exterior density keep them happy. The leaves on the inside age and die out regardless, you cannot do anything about that. But if you can see this inner bareness it means the outer shell has gaps - that is your problem.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

. I have never pruned it and didn't know you could do this to pines to promote inner fullness.

==>>>

you cant bet on it

it wont... fill back in for sure ... though it might get fuzzier on the periphery .... there is no way to make it thicker inside...

all pines shed there needles within 1 to 3 years.. and interior needle loss is NORMAL ...

pruning of the new growth on pines is VERY TIME SPECIFIC .... its called 'candling' ...

they are conifers.. and there is a conifer forum should you wish opinion other than those here ...

but frankly.. w/o a pic ... we cant help very much ...

intro to conifers at link.. i THINK there is a pruning section

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link .. look for 'candling'

• pweist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some photos...

• pweist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more photo

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The main source of baldness at this point is probably shade from the pine right next to it. Most pines need full light, more so than arborvitaes or hemlocks which are climax species adapted to growing beneath, replacing other trees in the forest.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!