Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebemarie_gw

Two Bourbons from Vintage that I LOVE!

bebemarie
14 years ago

Who doesn't love Bourbons? They're so sumptuous and the fragrance is divine. Granted there are some that won't work in my foggy shady garden but I'm finding some that do thrive without spray. I warn you that I'm blackspot and mildew tolerant...but these two aren't that bad, just get touches.

{{gwi:294809}}

Apolline

This is a beautiful rose with subtle color changes in the flower. Not really "striped" but like a watercolor wash. I got it not knowing much about it and have fallen in love. The band I got had buds and when they bloomed I took this photo mid June. The band was repotted into a gallon and is growing fast and already into another bloom cycle. Lovely fragrance too. I can't believe that Gregg has listed this as one of the "unloved roses".

{{gwi:294811}}

Souvenir de Victor Landeau with Little White Pet below

I like this rose so much that I have three. Big beautiful blooms and great fragrance. Very fast grower.

Just what you all need. Someone telling you to buy more roses.

Diane

Comments (8)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Diane, Apolline is one of my favorite roses on the Unloved Roses List and I had actually been eying if before because it really is lovely and so unusual. Souvenir de VL is also very beautiful. I just wonder whether the Bourbons are as desirable in Southern California as the teas and chinas. I do have two now but it's too soon to tell how they'll perform when they're mature.

Thank you for this timely post about these Vintage Roses.

Ingrid

• windeaux
    14 years ago

Apolline is indeed a wonderful Bourbon. Since you're growing her under 'foggy shady garden' conditions, she may remain relatively compact. In warm, sunny conditions, however, Apolline can reach humongous proportions -- easily one & a half to two times the size that Vintage Gardens estimates as a mature size for this rose. I hope you check back in here to let us know how she fares in your garden -- esp as regards BS & mildew, if those are issues in your locale.

Souve de VL looks tempting, & is one that I'm not familiar with. I'll have to get more info on this one . . .

• bebemarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ingrid,

I just don't know about Bourbons for hot and dry. Maybe some of the Texas folks are growing it and will comment. It seems like the sale is an opportunity to try without too much expense. It really is a beautiful rose. Reading your posts brings a tear to my eye. I always thought roses loved sun and heat.

Windeaux,

I've actually found that roses "stretch" in shadier conditions so will be interested to see how Appoline does. The Vintage web description led me to believe it would be more compact but could also be a pillar rose so I may try that.

SdeVL is great. A very vigorous rose.

Diane

• melva
    14 years ago

I have Appoline and her child Marie Drivon...so far, neither of them have gotten huge.

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

There always is another rose, isn't there? I ordered two HPs from the unloved list: Buffalo Bill and Souv. de Madame Corval. I will love them.

• bebemarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Melva,

About how big is your Appoline?

Diane

• melva
    14 years ago

Apolline is young and not as large as she is going to get. The rose is just 4 feet by three right now.

• bebemarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Melva!

Diane

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH