Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earlmcc

Rhododendron fungus....help

earlmcc
14 years ago

Hi - first time poster :) I;ve scoured the internet and these forums, but am not quite sure how to proceed.

I have a problem with what our local nursery said was a fungus - they recommended applying Bonide Fungonil every 7 - 10 days, which I've been doing for 3 weeks now. But, I am afraid the plants may not be able to be saved. I am not sure how to post pictures, but you can view them here:

http://earlmcc.blogspot.com/2009/05/rhododendrons.html

The Purpeum elegans were planted last year on the west side of the house with starter fertilizer (the kind to help roots get established) in a raised bed with good soil. Fertilized in the Fall and early spring with Hollytone...they get a few hours of mid-day sun, then filtered sun in the afternoon. They were protected over the winter with Burlap cages (open top). I;ve been battling Weevils with Imadacloprid (spelling?) and nightime hand picking...they really did a number on them..but, the fungus is what really scares me.

My problem is, I have a one year warranty on the plants that runs up in a couple weeks - and, if they can be saved, great...but if not, then I want to get new ones and make sure I do what is necessary to help them survive.

Any help you can give is much appreciated....first time I spend money on plants, and this is what happens! Argh..

God bless,

Earl

Comments (5)

• jean001
    14 years ago

So here's the good news. It's not a fungus.

Instead, it shows the plant ran short of water last year. Likely during a hot spell. Probably not fully rooted in as yet. Usually takes at least two years of regular irrigation.

• earlmcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. are you sure? Having some leaves with brown radiating out from the center vein doesn't seem like a lack of water symptom?

What could I do to verify it isn't a fungus?

Maybe take some leaves into the local Co-op?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

I agree that is not a disease, it's a moisture issue. And of course then there are the weevils...

Do you feel you have reduced those numbers, are you finding less at night? While the adults feeding on leaves can cause a lot of cosmetic damage, uncontrolled larvae feeding on roots are a bigger concern. They can damage enough roots the plant is unable to take up adequate nutrients.

If you want a hands on opinion, taking an example leaf or two to your county extension agent or often full service nursery (not box store) can be helpful....but jean001 is right, that is not a fungal infection causing browning.

• earlmcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did an Imidacloprid drench around the base of the plant a few weeks ago and applied granular to the rest of the bed to try and reduce numbers of Larvae - I've been out at night a couple times and haven't seen any (first time I went out last summer, I had several on each plant...after a week or two of doing that, I would only have one or two a night, then it was down to nothing that I could see). I will probably do another drench this week, as temperatures warm up, I'm sure larvae are headed up and adults will emerge soon...Beetles are just coming up now (June Beetles I would imagine).

Should I do anything to encourage root growth? How often should I water? I'm nervous to overwater and encourage fungus (even if that isn't what I have now, I don't want to introduce it!)....

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

I agree it is not a fungus and it is not a problem. It is natural. You have two problems.

1) Wind and cold damage is indicated when the edges of the leaves become distorted and turn brown. This occurs frequently in plants that may be in a colder climate than recommended or in a location with severe exposure. Provide protection from winter winds and winter sun. Note, boron poisoning or fertilizer burn will create the same symptoms except uniformly over the plant rather than just on areas exposed to the sun and wind.

2) Large leaved rhododendrons are susceptible to sunscald if the plants do not receive enough moisture before the soil freezes. The leaves curl in cold winter weather, exposing the central part of the leaf but not the edges, resulting in the area near the main vein becomes desiccated and turns brown. To prevent this, water plants thoroughly before the first hard frost, protect from drying winds, apply mulch, and locate in partial shade.

No disease is evident. The chewing on the edge of the leaves is weevil damage. It is very common in most plantings.

Your nurseryman just made more money by selling you something you don't need.

Part of the problem is fertilizing in the fall. Only fertilize in the spring. Hollytone is a great product, but only use once in the spring and at half the strength recommended on the package. Fertilizing in the fall makes problems such as you have worse.

Only water in hot weather when the leaves are a little wilted in the morning. If you have good drainage, occasional watering will not be a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

Sponsored