Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

My self sown Amorphophallus paeoniifolius

tropicbreezent
9 years ago

Got a nice surprise the other day checking out the garden. The surface is a thick layer of leaves put down to protect the soil from heat and during the wet season to prevent erosion. So what became visible first was a small mound of leaves but soon after the top of a flowering paeoniifolius appeared. This one has been here a few years now, it came with a truck load of top soil I'd brought in. It's a wonder the tuber wasn't crushed in all the moving around. I used my tractor to move the soil, level it and also to compact it. But the plant flourished and is now flowering. Being on the edge of the garden I thought it would rot during dormancy from the nearby garden sprinklers. Obviously not.

Just to the left you can see the top of a leaf from one of the smaller tubers coming through.

{{gwi:394580}}

Comments (14)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Opening up a bit more.

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

Lookin good. You must be in the southern hemisphere.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

That would be a yes...Tropic is an aussie...lucky duck can grow all kinds of rain forest type plants right out in the yard.

I am SO jealous! :)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they're native to this area, so we have them all around out bush. That's how this one would have got here, in a truck load of soil I'd got brought in. Amorph. galbra is another that's native to this area

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it's pretty wicked!

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they're quite different. Here's one a couple years ago that I grew. It really opened out well.

{{gwi:394581}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I love aroids in general and collect whatever I can get my hands on,but there has to be an exception in amorphs. As much as I adore the foliage,if one were to bloom in the apartment while overwintering(assuming that could happen)I'm pretty sure the landlord would kill me. lol

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The landlord wouldn't kill you, smell of the Amorphs would first, LOL.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Question now is,..which would smell worse...my dead body...or the amorph? lol

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In actual fact Amorphs have a variety of smells. I understand one smells of chocolate. The paeoniifolius isn't all that strong (or mine aren't) and have a bit of a stale urine odour. The A. bulbifera seemed more like sewerage. My gigas was definitely corpse odour. So you see, you can have a choice, LOL. (But also note, mine aren't in a confined indoor place.)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Confined chocolate sounds appealing enough...just did a quick search that didn't really get me anywhere...wouldn't have any leads on it,would you?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now, how did I guess you'd go for the chocolate out of all those choices? Can't remember now which one it was. Came across it while dong bit if research.

Did a search and came up with Amorphophallus manta. All I can find out about it was on a French site which only said it came from Sumatra (not all that far from me in fact, but too far for a quick trip over).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Manta,..check!

That's a lead!
    Thanks!

I wonder if when an amorph was blooming,..like...if you could maybe trap it in a sealed environment like a terrarium and effectively keep the odor from flooding the apartment...I'm dreaming,aren't I?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sze would be the problem, most would be too tall. Although, it's mainly the leaf that's tall, apart from things like ttanum and gigas. The inflorescence on paeoniifolius is very short compared to the leaf. Could possibly fit into a large terrarium.

Sponsored