Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nvl4

Compact double yellow rose

NVL4
9 years ago

Does anyone grow Tequila Gold or Yellow Floor Show? I don't want a miniature rose, just a smaller, compact landscape rose. Do you recommend a different plant? It must be double and rebloom or continual bloomer.

I would love to see it in your yard.
Thanks

Comments (17)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Not interested in 'Julia Child'?

{{gwi:319107}}

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had her - three to be exact- at my old house and will definitely get more if her. I love, love, love that rose! What I want is something just like that, only shorter. It would be along side a drive way.

And gorgeous picture.

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by NVL4 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 16:47

• catsrose
    9 years ago

Try 'The Poet.' I'm really impressed with it--no blackspot, blooms fairly continuously, hardly fades, and stays small. I got mine from Roses Unlimited.

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Solero. Also called Solero Vigorosa.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Forgive me for not knowing what " double " means , I know for sure about single roses are ... But how about sunrise vigorousa ? I just bought it but it gets great reviews for rebloom , short in size and great health . Looking forward to seeing how it does near my bird bath .

• User
    9 years ago

Another vote for Solero Vigoroso. First year own root plant, which is forced to compete with annuals, but it has been very floriferous and has zero disease problem. I think that it is an ADR winner.

• NVL4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful! It has really nice foliage as well! I am in zone 8, maybe even 8b. Would it be evergreen or semi evergreen in this area? I'll look into this and the suggestion for The Poet. Thank you!

• newroses
    9 years ago

Yes it does quite well in zone 8b which is were I grow roses.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I love my two Bernstein-Rose bushes. They are small versions of the two Julia child Roses that grow above them, slightly up the slope on the way to the front porch. I've grown B-R for about seven years. They have rich, deep yellow gold blooms, and have no problem coming through winter and our hot, sunny summers. B-R never gets larger than about 2 1/2' X 2 1/2'. I think it's still being sold by a few places in the U.S. and Canada. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Here's a close up. Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Diane, what a beautiful picture of your roses with companion plants. I love that grouping, with every plant looking perfect. Bernstein, by the way, is the German name for amber, although I wouldn't say that this rose is amber in coloring.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Ingrid. I was trying to remember what Bernstein was in German, and thinking it was amber. Actually, it does look quite amber at times. I've noticed that photos of this rose look more "just yellow" than it really is. I would like to post more garden photos, but I haven't updated photobucket in two years, and Garden Web rejects my photos as having too large a file most of the time when I try to show larger areas. So frustrating (but I confess to laziness with photobucket, and a big lack of computer smarts). Diane
    PS. Just realized that I showed a 2013 pic of B-R. Here is 2014 looking more amber.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Here's one more of B_R. Diane

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Sigh!!! such beauty. Googling the Bernstein Rose now. Golden Buddha is a deep yellow, but it stays short. It's available from Rogue Valley Roses as a band. I bought one last year. Happy Child is supposed to be a smaller Austin that is a pale yellow. I have not grown this one myself. There are lots of pics of it on the internet.

Nanadoll thanks so much for the inspiration that your garden is .I got Ascot rose Mauve/red .(Sorry a little off thread for good reason) from Palantine due to your pictures and it shot up to a 7 foot wonder covered in blooms in only 6 months!! Pleased to see you posting again.

Best wishes in your search NVL4.
    Shops

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Shops. I've had a ball the last few weeks posting again (or over posting). I hope you can find Bernstein-Rose being sold somewhere--perhaps, Heirloom or Hortico (where I got mine). Diane