Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

Mortimer Sackler: a good rose in the Southeast?

Vicissitudezz
9 years ago

I just happened to notice that Heirloom has a 20% off sale on David Austin roses, and I'm wondering about 'Mortimer Sackler' for a garden in the hot and humid Southeast.

I know DA roses don't always do what is expected of them once they leave their native climes, and rarely hear 'Mortimer' mentioned here, but he is the first DA rose that I really took a shine to, and with the discount and free shipping... well, I'm wondering if it would be worth trying here.

Any thoughts on his performance in general, and especially in warm zones?

Thanks,
Virginia

Comments (11)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Morty was generally a good performer in my Kansas garden. He is rather tall, I hope you know. But not very wide--and few thorns. First blooms were quite prolific although the individual flowers were rather short-lived. Perhaps a bit slow on the re-bloom, especially when it got really, really HOT here in Aug. Above average bs resistance here in Kansas, but may need some spraying in your region. Not a disease-magnet, however.

Not a rose I get excited about, but a good steady reliable one. I miss it--it got too much winter damage during our brutal winter this past year and slowly petered out by late summer. That shouldn't be a problem in your region--heck, it shouldn't be in my region either--at least it was not for 7 years.

Kate

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kate- I'm not sure why 'MS' is so appealing to me... it may just be one of those flowers that photographs well.

I'm sorry yours got zapped by the cold, but agree that we're less likely to have that issue here.

And if you were wanting a replacement, $22 seems like a decent price with free shipping... But their roses are own-root, and I don't know if that's suitable for your area?

Thanks again,
    Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses sale link/ 20% off DA Roses

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

This might not be much use to you as I'm in England, but for me this is almost the perfect upright climbing rose, I say almost as it has one fault. In the heat of summer, July/August, the flowers discolour too quickly and I have to go out there and prune them off. I don't notice this during cooler weather. Otherwise it's just what anyone could want for a tall obelisk or other structure. It does want to get at least 8 foot, maybe 10 if I let it here. I try to keep it at 8, no more.

Gorgeous flowers, lovely scent, almost thornless, and virtually disease free, bit of blackspot late in the season on lower leaves but nothing to bother with. We've had a lot of rain here this summer, although it's been a good long summer to go with that. Almost continuous flowering and still with flowers this late.

Here is a photo of its upper parts just to tempt you further...

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Marlorena. If I hadn't already succumbed to temptation, that photo (and accompanying recommendation) would've done it.

'Mortimer' may not be happy here, but there's really only one way for me to find out. He seems like an adaptable sort, though, and I see gorgeous photos from Japanese gardens, and I know that much of Japan has hot and humid summers like I have here.

Thanks again,
    Virginia

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Curious if you found and planted your Mortimer? Although not the ”glamorous“, eye-popping kind of rose I typically am more typically drawn to, Mortimer is one of my absolutely most faithful, lovely roses in my yard. I battle deer, black spot, mites - everything. But Mortimer grows above where the deer can reach him to eat, and never has disease or affliction of any sort. I love it!

I live in zone 7 / Maryland.

• User
    3 years ago

Roseseek, I know what you mean! I bought this rose years ago - I had literally NO idea who Mortimer Sackler was, I thought he was just some guy. I was horrified when I found out - yikes! Still, its actually a really good rose, and its a shame not to grow it since its really not the plant's fault. It is disease resistant, has beautiful flowers which have quite a lot of personality, its prolific, a nice climber and has lovely red-ish stems. Also, it has quite a different character and "feeling" from a lot of Austins, which in some cases kind of run together. Not sure if, had I known who Sackler was, I would have bought it back then, but I can't say I'm sorry to grow it. (You could always just refer to it by its registration name or something).

• roseseek
    3 years ago

The name can make or break it. President Herbert Hoover was a great rose in its time and millions HATED the person. Many continued to be grown in gardens, referred to by names made up by the gardeners so they didn't have to mention his name. As long as I cut the name tags off Billy Graham, I sold the heck out of it as five gallon bud and bloom. In Pacific Palisades, right on the water, it was spotless and gorgeous, but even in that area, the name killed it.

• cuttolaura
    last year

Name changed! From Wikipedia: The Mortimer Sackler rose was named in his honor by his wife, Theresa, after she won the naming rights in a charity auction.[22] However, in 2022, the rose was renamed Mary Delany by David Austin Roses in honor of Mary Delany, an artist known for her paper-cut plant drawings.

• roseseek
    last year

So? Austin's machine understood they could make money in both directions. They raked it in as MS then, understanding the negative connotation the name carried, they renamed it to capitalize on the public's ignorance. Cynical.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Still not the plant's fault -

Jackie