Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

Follow Up on the New Seedling (sorry long)

olga_6b
18 years ago

Some of you probably remember that I had an OP seedling of Deuil de Dr Reynaud which looked good to me. That was the first bloom in spring.

{{gwi:315179}}

The follow up blooms are less fringed and I would say less distinctive. But really this plant blooms non-stop, almost the flower power of floribunda. I got more them 90 flowers from this plant starting from spring and it is still a baby germinated this winter.

Here are the pictures of my seedling today. It blooms a lot. I will definitely keep it. It is pink, fragrant, hard working and attractive looking plant. Of course I am subjective. Which parent will not love it's child. But I have other seedlings and this one is the best in my opinion.

Flowers are very bourbonish in appearance and fragrance. But the repeat and bush shape are much better so far.

{{gwi:315180}}

{{gwi:315181}}

{{gwi:315182}}

{{gwi:299205}}

{{gwi:315183}}

{{gwi:315184}}

Thank you.

Comments (93)

• Micimacko
    18 years ago

Good, Olga, I like it. The name should contain you (after all it is your baby) as well as your daughter since you promised to name after her. It is easy to remember and pronounce, simple still distinct. As I said, I like it.

• rosyjennifer
    18 years ago

I love that you want to use your daughter's name. I keep buying Julia's Rose (and it keeps fading away...) because it shares my daughter's name. I also like that you want to use part of your name. How about Mother and Child? (Mother's Love is taken)

I really like Sweet Maria.
    Or Bella Maria (bella is beautiful in Italian, I think)and the name really rolls off the tongue...

Keep us posted!

• lplantagenet7AVA
    18 years ago

What a clever idea, Olga--I was thinking of Olga Maria as a way of combining your names, but your combination is unique.

Lindsey

• carla17
    18 years ago

Olga, how exciting! I'm so thrilled for you, it is a beauty. The first Olga rose, we all want one.

Carla

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Olga, 'Tsarina' is available according to HMF.

• lozza
    18 years ago

Olga, Mariola is free.

• andreageorgia
    18 years ago

I like Mariola. It's pretty and distinct.

Andrea

• andreageorgia
    18 years ago

Well well, now of course it just came to my mind that Mariola resembles the term VARIOLA virus, the smallpox virus.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it, but I don't think that too many people know this term, or make the connection, or will be deterred from buying it because of this. It's just a resemblance, and Mariola is still a nice name. I'll buy it!

Andrea

• stefanb8
    18 years ago

Lozza, so you'd rather that double-naming roses be the sole property of the large companies who don't solicit or heed advice anyway? I don't think it's likely to be a problem if another rose bearing the name is virtually extinct or in a completely different class. People should be able to figure it out.

Anyway, moot point, I see - Mariola sounds beautiful! One of the few -ola words that doesn't sound like a cooking oil ;-) I like it.

Stefan

• lozza
    18 years ago

Olga, Got back this morning. Ran into Paul Z. who informed me that he had your correspondence, so my contact was somewhat redundant. Good Luck.

• User
    18 years ago

Wow I hope that in a couple of years it goes into production and I will cerytainly buy one. Good compact prolific blooming bourbon,,,now that is great news!!!!!!!!!

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lozza, thank you. I send e-mail to Paul and he toldl me that I can send cuttings. I did this. Trish send me e-mail and said they keep fingers crossed, because it was some damage in transit.
    Thank you very much for you help.
    Olga

• bobkat13
    18 years ago

My goodness gracious! You must be so very proud of and happy for your new baby.......Mariola is a beautiful name, which is fitting for such a little beauty of a rose.

• madspinner
    18 years ago

be sure to keep us updated...

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Madspiner, thank you for asking. No updates so far.
    I planted my bush into the ground for winter. It had many blooms and buds until Friday night. Last two nights it was cold (twenties), so all blooms buds are frozen. Now I have to wait until spring to see if it will survive. Winter protection in my zone does more harm then benefit, it will have to survive without any extra help. The spot is sunny and somewhat protected by the house. The only danger in this location is deer. I probably should put a net around this bush. Hope it will be OK.
    Olga
    Olga

• wild_rose_of_texas
    18 years ago

Olga, I am so excited to see the lovely photo of your baby rose, and I'll be praying that it will survive the winter and thrive again for you in the spring! What a beautiful little rose, and a wonderful name also! Have you found out about the naming process? I am wondering how difficult it is to name a rose, how expensive or how much dreaded paperwork might be involved???

Again, congrats! You have done very well!!!

Allison

• JofromFrance
    18 years ago

Olga, I have been following the story of this rose since you first talked about it. It is certainly a beauty. I was wondering if you have given cuttings to anyone to grow, or taken some yourself, in case for some reason neither your little bush nor Paul's cuttings survive ? It would be a real pity if the new rose disappeared.

As for the name, what about Maryland Maria? Or perhaps the place where you live has a nice name to combine with your daughter's? Or, if it does not already exist, just Maria Olga after the 2 of you. Not that Mariola is not a pretty name...

Or why not just Maria plus the surname? After all there are plenty of roses that bear someone's first and surname. Marie Pavie, Marie Bugnet, Paul Neyron, Albéric Barbier, etc, all named for someone, plus lots of newer roses of course.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Allison, thank you very much.
    Jo, I gave cuttings to one more person, just in case. It is still young plant so it is not possible to get many cuttings. Maria's last name is only one letter different from Ballerina, it is already several roses that sound similar.
    Thanks again.
    Olga

• madspinner
    18 years ago

Just wanted to pop this up to the top of the list so we can start wondering what is going on with this rose again... I can't wait to see this year's pictures when spring comes!

• carla17
    18 years ago

I an anxious to see pictures this spring, I know it will be beautiful.

Carla

• gardennatlanta
    18 years ago

Yes, Olga, any updates? Jeff

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My rose is in the ground. It looks fine. No deer bites or canker (knock on the wood). I was told by Paul and Trish that they managed to root cutting I send to Ashdown this fall. I am really eager to see how my rose will bloom this spring. It is going to be its first spring in a way. Last spring it was just seedling with a few leaves.
    Olga

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

This is so EXCITING !!!

Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Florence

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Wow, that is exciting. I might one day have a rose from a forumer. Now how need would that be. I believe the reason I originally purchased Madame Paul Masaad is because she was kind enough to answer a question for me on the forum and then I found her namesake rose and it was as lovely as she and now I am in love with it. I am sure I would love an Olga equally.

• madspinner
    17 years ago

Update?

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Olga,

I live 20 minutes away. A smaller version of Madame Isaac Periere would be V-E-R-Y welcome in my garden. Please root me a cutting for next spring and I will pay you.

MARIOLA is a positively lovely name.

Of course I'm still waiting for the name of your Tortie. If I remember our last conversation correctly you named her after an obscure Russian fairy.

BTW, Maggie is taking a trip this weekend. Mom has decided to not to replace the rose that I removed from her formal rose garden. She wants to plant herbs and veggies but with a single large specimen rose (in red, yellow, pink and white) to anchor each rectangular bed. She is willing to put up with the black spot as long as she gets fragrance, decent repeat and good cutting flowers. MAGGIE will be the red.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Here is a link that might be useful: A Tired Rose Garden

• aqrose
    17 years ago

I was just wondering how this rose did this season? Any news on it being sold yet? Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered already.
    Thanks,
    Michelle :)

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle, thank you for asking. Right now it is doing pretty well. Some time early this summer just after the first flush it was badly damaged by deer. I had to replant it in the middle of summer to the safer location. It was pretty hot weather, so my rose sit some time sulking after this relocation. However it is catching up. A lot of buds right now. When they will open I can post a picture. The fragrance was even better thios year. Still stays pretty compact and bushy. No intentions to become an octopus or climber like its parent. I personally love it a lot, but I am subjective :)

Some pictures from this summer.
    {{gwi:315186}}

I have another seedling that bloomed this summer from the same hips. It only bloomed once this summer, but is very fragrant. Its parent also didn't repeat until year three, so who knows could be just needs some time to mature. You can't see it from pictures, but petals are much darker outside and paler iside and the color difference is quite significant. Looks interesting.

{{gwi:315188}}

{{gwi:315191}}

Olga

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Oh Olga, as usual you inspire me to try new things in the garden. Thanks for updating us on your seedling/s. They are both so beautiful, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Valerie

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Olga----I'm so happy for you and your baby---What a thrill it muct be to grow a rose from a seed.

I would love to try this----It would be a new experience for me.

My Katy Road Pink/Carefree Beauty has some great hips this year. Do you think I could grow a new rose??

Florence

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Olga, both roses are gorgeous!

Lisa

• aqrose
    17 years ago

Olga,
    Thank you so much for the update. I love that 2nd picture especially! Both roses are very lovely. I wish I could smell them as well! LOL! :)
    Thank you for sharing the newer one and I'm very glad the original was saved from the deer!
    For the past 2 years, I've tried growing the seeds I've harvested following the advice here on the forums without any luck at all. Not even one sprout, so I know you must be very proud of yours! Any news yet on when the original one will be offered for sale at Ashdown?
    Thanks again,
    Michelle :)

• jimska
    17 years ago

Olga, can't wait to get this beauty from Ashdown. by the way, what is the rose in the top right of the second picture called? What a cascading beauty!

Jimmy

• squeakmommy
    17 years ago

I just stumbled across this thread and was interested to see if there were any updates.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nothing much to update. My rose is still growing in my garden. It stays quite small, probably 2.5x2.5 feet. This is strange considering its huge parent. It is not weak, just petite. Very bushy and free flowering. Flowers are bigger this year and even more fragrant. I like it, but I am not objective, of course. It blooms in flushes, repeat is good. I spray it, not because I saw any disease, but just because I don't expect any bourbon to be BS resistant in my climate. Sorry don't have new pictures.
    {{gwi:315180}}

I didn't hear anything from Ashdown, so my guess it didn't perform well for them. I will continue to grow it myself and will share with friends.
    Olga

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just checked to see if the foto site is working now. It was down. I hope you can see the pictures now.
    Olga

• User
    17 years ago

OH I long for this rose is it ever going to be commercially available so many of us with small gardens would find it perfect.

• rickl144
    16 years ago

Hello forumites! After several months of lurking, I finally signed up so I can more fully participate. As a rose amateur, I hope to avail myself of your wisdom in the days to come.

My first message is to this particular thread because I am trying to finalize some rose purchases for Fall. I've been looking to get a Deuil de Dr. Reynaud from some place (haven't found one yet) to place near a clump of trees. I also have one spot open right beside the front porch for a smaller rose.

Now I discover this thread, telling me longtime member Olga has a DDeDR seedling that bears promise of being a good fit for that porch spot! Is it now on the market from Ashdowne? Or is it possible for me to buy a seedling from Olga, or another forum member who has cuttings?

Thank you all for feeding my rose lust as a lurker, and assuaging it as a new participant!

Rick - 6b, maybe even 7a in SE PA

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Olga, can I beg you for a few cuttings? I really loved to try to root this rose.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This roseis under evaluation at Ashdown. It takes time to have a fair evaluation of any rose. I am really thankful to Paul and Trish for their work with amature hybridizers and their seedlings.
    I am not selling any cuttings, but I can share. I was on vacation this week and came home yesterday to see that all my front yard roses suffered severe deer attack. This rose sufferd more then others. By no means it in the condition to make any cuttings right now.

Rick, which rose features you are particularly interested in. I bet if you let us know, we all can suggest many other roses that will fit your requirements. I don't think my rose willbehappy near the clump of trees. This is a bourbon, with all positive and negative strings attached.

Ceterum, if you are interested in cuttings, we can arrange something, as soon as it will grow back.
    Olga

• rickl144
    16 years ago

Olga, I was thinking of your small DDeDR not for the open group of honey locust trees out near the road, but for the corner where the side of my front porch meets the garage. I'd then be able to sit and enjoy the fantastic scent close-up, rather than hoping it will waft my way from the trees, about 100' away. I have 2 SDLMs at the center of the porch near the front door, so another small, very fragrant Bourbon, like your seedling, in the corner would be the perfect complement to them!

Under the trees I already have a Louise Odier growing well in the dappled shade, with a Madame Isaac Pereire and Madame Ernest Calvat joining it soon. I'll probably put a full-size DDeDR there as well! Other places on my little acre of heaven in the country I have various great smellers planted - Francis Dubreuil, Gertrude Jekyll, Abraham Darby, Jude the Obscure, Evelyn, and a host of the most fragrant HTs. But there is lots more to do!

Rick

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I'm very glad to hear that Paul Z. is still looking at Olga's seedling. I've been wondering what happened there.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Olga, you would make me extremely happy! I will try to contact you around the end of September or early October to see if you have any cuttings to share.

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

So, is there any new update this year?

Olga, Mariola is lovely. Would be interested to see if you have any zone hardiness data coming back on it yet. Have you sent cuttings to anyone in different zones and received feedback?

I stumbled across this post while searching for info on how to start seeds. I gathered some open pollen seeds (Mary Lovett) as I was spring pruning. Would like to get them started. from what I gathered so far, it sounds like I can treat them much like daylily seeds I started this winter. They had several weeks of 5 degree chill so I don't think they need to go into the fridge :)

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No updates yet. As for hardiness, I don't have any data. Zero dieback here, which is more or less expected from long cane bourbons in zone 6. This one is not long cane of course, but considering its parent, probably should have similar hardiness.
    Olga

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Olga--I think Mariola is a lovely combination of both names.

I've never tried to grow a rose from seeds (really don't know why) but it must be so exciting.

I think I will read up and try it--

You've inspired me to try.

Florence

• rickl144
    15 years ago

Hi Olga and forumites,

I have not been posting much lately, as I have a life of pretty diversified busy-ness! Have to spread myself around too much to spend much time chatting on the forum.

Nevertheless, I am spending significant time out in the garden - and have the tan to prove it! Not all gardening tasks are accomplished, though. One thing I need to do sometime is...put my clone of Mariola in the ground! Yep, I was able to get one one after begging Trish at Ashdown last year. I received it in early May, potted it up and it is doing well, starting to send out new shoots. I am trying right now to decide where to place it permanently, with ultimate size in mind. It is a well-branched but rather diminutive little thing that gives no hint about how big it might get.

Olga, since this is your baby and you've had it growing the longest, do you think it safe to assume that it will probably be along the lines of a 4-5 foot tall bush when mature? And, would any shade from nearby taller bushes (not trees) be detrimental?

Thanks much,

Rick

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I'm late in seeing this thread, but what an achievement, Olga. That is one beautiful rose. Congratulations!

Really, probably the most stunning seedling I've seen here; well it's hardly a seedling any more :-).

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rick, sorry I didn't see you post before, was away on a business trip w/o internet access.
    Actually my bush is still small. Probably 3 feet high and 2 feet wide, but it gets constant prunning by deer. I don't know if it would be bigger w/o constant trimming, probably yes. Repeat for me is very good and fragrance is strong, but I bet it will never grow into really big bush. My plant is in full sun. Just try semi-shade location and tell us how it worked.
    Olga

• rickl144
    15 years ago

Thanks, Olga! I placed Mariola into the ground over the weekend, it has put out new leaves and seems healthy. I will give an update as events warrant! It is sited so the prevailing breeze should send its scent across our front porch. :-)

Rick