Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

Some really vigorous roses?

vedazu
16 years ago

I've been in love with Frederic Mistral for the last few years until it started becoming diseased with this and that (notice how I'm afraid to tell you that I'm not sure what really ails it. . .) and plagued by thrips and JB's. So, although I have started to spray it--and it does respond to a certain degree--what roses are out there that have the same fabulous vigor--you know, the stevedores of the rose world: big biceps and strong backs. I mostly plant in pots, and the sight of these big guys leaping out into space is my idea of a good time. Tropicana is vigorous and big, as well, but is rangy, not so full. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• jaxondel
    16 years ago

Based on your idea of a good time, I STRONGLY suggest that you get Folklore. That one's gonna make your day!

• len511
    16 years ago

conrad ferdinand meyer is the most vigorous rose i have. i have 3. don't think they would do well in a pot.

• susz52
    16 years ago

Alchymst is an old rose, none repeating but is an enthusiastic over-achiever in the growth and healthy foliage. Othello is a dark red/purple bloom, remarkable scent, good repeater, vigorous growth out and up, small dark leaves and will grow in part-shade. I shudder to think how big this Austin rose would be in full sun. However both these roses have big really menacing thorns. I know these boys will grow in a pot. My favorite is Arthur Bell, if you like yellow in all its shades as this Floribunda changes colour, scent intensity and petal count with the weather. It is a real substantial rose and will over winter in a pot in an unheated garage in S/W Ontario. It also doesn't mind part shade. I should think there are a lot of roses that would do the job. If our weather conditions match I know these three have done well for me and would for you. Hope it helps Susz

• vedazu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you so much for the suggestions--Folklore seems to be a good idea because it would repeat bloom, which is closer to FM's habit. I have an Otello--actually, I ought to take it out of the ground and put it in a pot because it might be easier to control. It's really a wild animal, throwing very long canes that are not always so productive in terms of flowers. I'll take a look at Arthur Bell, too. Thanks so much!

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Bride's Dream - but thrips like it just as much as F. Mistral.
    Memorial Day - quite healthy, wide as FM, very fragrant but then again thrips will visit the flowers.
    Elina is huge and very productive but, thrips again
    Osiana - tall florist rose, foliage is quite good but the blooms must be sprayed against thrips.

Darker roses do not have or do not show thrips infestation, so you may want to stick to those.

Touch of Class - good pair to Folklore in size; very tall plant, nice foliage, perfectly formed blooms but no fragrance.

I try to recommend a few red roses that are 'big'.

Barkarole - gorgeous dark red, almost black flowers, tall plant, one of my favorites

Royal William (Duftzauber): very productive rose, gives you lots of dark red blooms for cutting or garden display.

Papa Meilland - my favorite for fragrance; slow to start and may spot at the beginning but it gets better and better as it ages - I cut the blooms for the house because the fragrance is phenomenal.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

How big does Flamenco Rosita get in cold zone 6 to 5? I'm checking for TALL roses so bunnies don't eat to the crown. I had seen bunnies standing up on their feet to bite off the blooms Nahema (small as own-root). Thanks for any info on tall and vigorous roses.

• subk3
    2 years ago

I'm technically Zone 7 in the "new" USDA Zones, but can not grow z7 roses--and have the reciepts, literally, to prove it. So in reality I'm a warm 6. Flamenco Rosita was easily 6' x 8' here with very little cane loss over the winter, just a couple inches on some of the tips. I awalys pruned at least half of it away when pruning in Feburay. If you have the space for it it wold be worth a try. Great rose. Always had blooms for the house. Lost it to RRD a few years ago.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you for the info. in size. How's the scent of Flamenco?

LongAgoRoses has Flamenco Rosita on sale starting this Friday, April 1 at 10 am. See below her 2022 inventory:

http://www.longagoroses.com/Rose_Inventory_2022.pdf

If anyone know of additional vigorous roses from above list, please inform. Thank you.