Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Hydrangea-Harmony-Ayesha-Blushing Bride

tsmith2579
14 years ago

Sylvia and I went to a local garden center today and came across three hydrangeas with which we fell in love. I was already familiar with Blushing Bride and Harmony but we saw Ayesha and it was so different. Ayesha's blooms remind me of lilacs. I Googles Ayesha and it was introduced back in the late 1940s. Has anyone grown these varieties locally? What are your results with these three? Thanks

Terry

Comments (7)

• tedevore
    14 years ago

Terry,

i don't have Harmony or Blushing bride, but i think I have a nice big hydrangea that is Ayesha. I'm trying to include the picture. I lost the tag to the plant but it sure looks the pictures I googled for Ayesha. I can take a cutting and give you one at fall swap if you like.

{{gwi:364318}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:364318}}

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Oh my but that's pretty...could you take more than one cutting and trade me one at the fall swap also? :)
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Todd, the first pic didn't open but the second did open and that is Ayesha. If you would layer a cutting for me I would be so thankful. Thanks for the kind offer.

THANKS

Terry

• tedevore
    14 years ago

Sure, i'll try and root some cuttings for the fall swap. I saw a big group of these when I went for a walk at aldridge gardens today. They look like they do well there. Mine came from a cutting from neighbor who got the plant Wal-Mart.

My favorite hydrangea I have blooming right now is "Fuji Waterfall." Its also unusual and very pretty. I got it Aldridge gardens sale a few years ago.

• idig
    14 years ago

That is gorgeous, you might oughta root a few!!

• airydana
    14 years ago

Hey Todd - I could use some info on how to do cuttings and rootings. Would you mind telling us your method and progress on this hydrangea cutting, do you root it in water, soil, etc. I think I'll also start a new topic. I'd like to try some rootings for the fall swap as well. Thanks! your hydrangea is beautiful!

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Airydana, I know you asked Todd but I'm sending my 2 cents of advice. Beth Carroll from the Alabama Forum and I went to a lecture at Aldridge Gardens last June to learn how to root hydrangeas. We were shown how to use soil less mix as the medium. I tried about 10 cuttings and only one survived. I've had much better luck by taking a low limb, bending it down to the ground, putting a shovel of dirt over it and a brick on top to hold it in place. You can scrape off some of the bark on the limb and dust it with Rootone if you wish. These will root in just a few weeks if you water them and feed them a root stimulator. Even oak leaf hydrangeas root quickly.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert