Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_chalice

What are you ordering from David Austin 2010???

rose_chalice
14 years ago

I was so excited to get the latest Austin catalog last week and have already placed my 2010 order! Can't wait 'til April.

Out of the 7 ordered, I'm trying 2 of the new ones:

1.) Young Lycidas (new for 2010) - I think the magenta color will look great next to my William Shakespeare 2000

2.) Princess Alexandra of Kent (new for 2010) - I need something lower, lush and full toward the middle/front of my border. I saw people's photos at the Chelsea Flower Show here on this site and it looked wonderful

3.) Sister Elizabeth - To plant in front of Young Lycidas and WS 2000; I saw it at the Filoli Estate outside of San Francisco and I liked the color; hope it does as well in z6

4.) Jude the Obscure - a repeat order for me for the fragrance and the shape. Also love that it's more apricot than any Austin photo I've seen.

5.) Golden Celebration - I heard it smells like Sauternes wine - sweet and heady

6.) Brother Cadfael - adore cup-shaped, globe-like roses. I've heard it's not such a great repeat, though....

7.) Climbing St. Swithun - I would love for this rose to peer into my dining room window.

I got the "Order E" discount for ordering 3 fragrant roses (Jude, GC and PAofK)

They gave me 1 free for ordering 4 others:

I chose Louise Odier

Anyone else want to share their list?

Comments (18)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

For sure I am ordering Young Lycidas, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Munstead Wood and Carding Mill. I am considering Darcey Bussell, Port Sunlight and Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

I have Sister Elizabeth - it blooms lots, and looks great next to Miss Alice. I will have to check out the part about the free rose.....
    Judith

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

I am getting Munstead Wood and The Shepherdess from David Austin. I am getting Morning Mist, St. Cecelia, Summer Song, and The Endeavor from other places. Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I may get Graham Thomas locally.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

Oh where oh where do I begin! That catalog makes me drool all over the place. I too have ordered Young Lycidas, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Sister Elizabeth, Jude, Sir John Betjeman, Lady of Megginch, plus a few others. Soooooo excited. Now ready to get those babies and watch them bloom. Judy

• rose_chalice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judith, thanks for the review on Sister Elizabeth! As for the free rose, if you are a repeat customer from previous years with an order of 4 roses, they will give you one free (roses new for 2010 are excluded from the free offer, though). If you order 10, they'll give you two for free.

I'm enjoying all of these shopping lists!

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

My mom got her new catalog and after looking at it, I've decided to try a few this year. I'm looking at some of the older DA's, such as Cottage Rose and Eglantyne. They're supposed to be more cold hardy and the fragrances sound wonderful!

Mom's in zone 5, so she's making a long list for Christmas :)

• jumbojimmy
    14 years ago

I couldn't wait so I've placed an order on a potted rose, Jude the Obscure and it looks like it's going to be delivered to my place next week. I love the fragrance of JtO.

Heritage - I'm going order this rose again because this is the only Austin that I know of that repeats well and smells great. It's really sad that none of my roses are blooming at the moment.

St. Swithun - The name makes me think of cupids. Love the name, it sounds so romantic and I think the blooms are Huge too.

Jayne Austin - I gave my mother a Jayne Austin rose and I'm planning to buy one for myself because it's performing very well in mother's garden. Very vigorous and nice upright habit. Although, I hate the smell (licorice), but the blooms are lovely.

Gertrude Jekyll - LOVE LOVE the scent..and I love the luminous pink colour - I don't know of any other roses that has the same pink colour and fragrance as Gertrude Jekyll -so I'm planning to add one. It's a stingy bloomer - so I might just treat it as a once-bloomer rose.

• veilchen
    14 years ago

My garden is nearly filled up, unfortunately. I think I am going to order from Pickering so I can get Viking Queen (not a DA). I am ordering Harlow Carr. Have to choose at least one more rose for shipping, undecided.

Rose chalice, Brother Cadfael is my favorite DA. It repeats just fine, I have two of them. However, the flowers are quite big, so it does take slightly longer to build up new buds. But my two repeat all summer and make a fantastic show in late Sept.

• karenforroses
    14 years ago

LIke many of you, I ordered Princess Alexandra of Kent and Munstead Wood. Harlow Carr was my newest Austin this year and I was extremely impressed with the summer-long bloom. Although a little smaller than many of my Austin blooms, Harlow Carr blossoms in clusters of perfectly formed roses. Really nice and very disease resistant. I don't think this is going to be a very tall rose - nice for the front of the border. I noticed that some of you ordered St. Swifton. I got this rose from D.A. about 5 years ago and truly love it. I grow it as a climber on a fence and it has been a wonderful rebloomer. It's even cane hardy if I wrap the canes in several layers of burlap. Here's a picture -

{{gwi:229679}}

• rose_chalice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karenforroses, your photo makes me so glad I'm ordering it.

Veilchen, thank you for the reassurance on Brother Cadfael especially as it is your favorite.

jumbojimmy, I have Gertrude, planted 2 years ago, and I just learned (from lurking on this site) that in order for her not to be stingy, she has to be pruned HARD twice. Once in winter and once after the first flush:

{{gwi:320909}}

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

I still havent recieved my catalog, so i signed up again, i cant wait to get it! I only have 2 DA, so i am wanting one of each! Thank you for posting pictures, i wish i could smell them though my screen!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Lavender_lass, I thought I'd mention that I have two bushes of Cottage Rose. I quite like this rose but it is very thorny and has very little fragrance to speak of. Rebloom is fine if you fertilize (I use alfalfa meal). I didn't prune my roses last winter and these two got gangly, with less rebloom.

Ingrid

• rosecorgis
    14 years ago

I haven't received my new catalog either, but have already ordered Young Lycidas and Lady Emma Hamilton from Austin and an own root Crown Princess Margareta.

I love Austin's and have a yellow section of the garden that is mostly Austins. Lady Hamilton will go there.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Thanks Ingrid, that's good to know. It says in the catalog that the fragrance is supposed to be old rose with a hint of lilac. I don't know how much rebloom I'll get from any DA's, since my last frost is early June and my first fall frost is usually early September :)

• buford
    14 years ago

I really want Munstead Wood, but I've been put on the rose wagon. I also like Port Sunlight from last year.

• jumbojimmy
    14 years ago

rose_chalic - your Gertrude Jekyll looks very impressive. Is that only one bush? The problem with pruning too hard is, it takes a while for the rose to become big again. Right now, in the middle of Summer, my Gertrude Jekyll has been pruned hard with all the leaves removed and it looks like a stick now.

I just contacted David Austin, and one of the reps told me that they will only release ONE David Austin rose in Australia (Munstead Wood). It's so unfair!

Roses that never make it to our shore and that I like include:
    - Claire Austin
    - Princess Alexandra of Kent
    - Spirit of Freedom
    - Generous Gardener
    - Gentle Hermoine
    - Harlow Carr
    - Sister Elizabeth...and plenty more.

Not fair :(

• rose_chalice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It must be frustrating, jumbojimmy, especially since you can see which Austins are available to others elsewhere.

I wish I could say that the photo I posted is of one Gertrude Jekyll. It's actually a photo of four grouped together. You can see the low one on the left which is struggling. I think that one is planted too close to the privet hedge and those roots are engulfing my poor rose.

Yes, Gertrude can look sad in between harsh prunings. I'm starting salvias beneath her to hide her bare knees.

• User
    14 years ago

I have a puny order in comparison. Lady Emma Hamilton and The Prince.

I am very interested in hearing feedback on Munstead Wood. Fabulous color! Please keep us posted.

• senko
    14 years ago

We soon need to pack-up and go to general roses forum. See the other thread: Some people do not want DA Roses to be discussed here.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida