Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

So what color is it? Really? (long)

anntn6b
9 years ago

It bugs me that we assume that roses are just one color, that is, that a given rose bush produces the same color rose regardless of where it's grown, in what kind of soil it's grown, and disregarding the temperatures, sunlight intensity and hours of sunlight that affect an individual bloom.

Maybe it's because it's easier to say a rose is "pink". When that same rose will produce white petaled blooms that last only a short while in summer, yet the same rose will have petals that start out pink and stay pink through the cooler, extended days of late autumn.

I would be hard pressed, right now, to identify my (non-tea) noisettes by the color of their blooms if I couldn't see them in the garden where I know who is where. Some of them only show a slightest blush pink a few hours after they open in midsummer, and now you'd call them PINK! Some multiflora hybrids are holding their very saturated pink blooms for two weeks; in summer that bush with the white blooms is barely able to hold onto its petals for three days. '

This fall Quatre Seasons somehow hit weather conditions that really accelerated petal drop. I know they bloomed: I watched the buds form, then very quickly all I had were open sepals and petals on the ground (and I was planning to make some rose petal jam from them.)

Perhaps the strangest example was the Tea Rose Safrano, which looks especially fine here in Autumn. At a fall rose show, someone I know entered it as an Alba (heck, she'd won Dowager Queen with it in other shows in the Fall). I was clerking and a judge from much farther north asked me if I knew which rose it was, I said it looks like Safrano. She agreed, but said that when she'd seen it farther north, the pastels were much more deeply colored. Since then I've tried a few different fertilizers (organics) on mine, but still haven't been able to deepen the colors (the way English Elegance seems to get much stronger colored when grown in a greenhouse (filtered sunlight)) or in a soil with lots of wood ash.)

So, what color changes do you see, if any?

Comments (29)

• buford
    9 years ago

Ann, I have right now two Fragrant Cloud blooms that are red. No hint of coral or even orange in them.

My Duchess de Brabant is the most gorgeous dark pink. I'm not really a light pink fan, unless it's a white rose with a hint of light pink. DDB is ruined by thrips most of the year, so this is the only time I really get to enjoy her.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I guess for registering and marketing sake we have to assign them colors but really they're more of a suggestion than a hard fast rule as far as I can see. In warm climates I always here how different the roses are at the height of the hot season and here our rose colors vary drastically in some cases in the cool of fall. I like that variation. It keeps things interesting and the garden ever changing. Always fun to see what color they'll be next!

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

How could you colour Mutabilis? you can't really can you? In fact, right now in November I don't know what colour to describe it as...well..dark red on the outside but a very light pink, almost apple blossom pink in flower and rather consistent, which it isn't the rest of the year... if you can make that out...

• jerijen
    9 years ago

My Found "Ragged Robin" sometimes blooms medium pink. It usually happens in warm springs -- but never in warm summers or falls.

When I collected it, there were two plants, and both were all-over pink. I took blooms to the Celebration Of Old Roses, and no one knew what they were.

Then, when the rooted cuttings bloomed for the first time, they were blood red!

Jeri

• Kippy
    9 years ago

What timing. I was just noting to myself how intense the oranges, coppers and golds my pastel 'Janet' was showing on a new bloom. Last weekend I was able to collect petals for a wedding. This week I would have had to skip

• jerijen
    9 years ago

So would I! There are a few things here and there -- ONE 'Bishop Darlington' is blooming. The other is sitting. But most of the things without bloom have buds.

Jeri

• buford
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous Jeri!

Here is my red Fragrant Cloud:

{{gwi:323967}}

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

LOVE these excellent photographs! Artists of Their Gardens showing ever evolving personal masterpieces.

I personally adore the shifting shades of roses depending upon season, temperature, soil nutrients, ph, etc. I also enjoy the variability of petal counts depending upon the season. If I ever figure out how to do the multistep photo upload, I have pictures to share!
    I always feel a touch miffed when people seem surprised or hate colour changes in blooms as they age- they are only natural! It's why I adore the highly fragrant, bluing crimson reds. It showcases natural blossom lifecycles.
    If you want static, buy plastic.

Steven

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Steven -- I agree with you! I LOVE those blue-toned reds. And though it's REALLY unfashionable, I love roses I'd call "Cerise."

Like this! ("Benny Lopez")

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Steven, you can up load one picture to a post by using the "Image file to upload" option at the top of the posting box. You have to do separate posts for each photo that way. If you want to post more than one picture you need a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Shutterfly, etc. Upload your photos there first and then copy and paste the the "html" code into your post. That way you can post as many as you want into the same post.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Very pretty Bishop Darlington Jeri. I have a gap that reminds me of the rose that is missing, Bishop Darlington.

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

I have noticed this in many roses my first year garden as well. Due to the amount of threads I have read on this forum I knew to expect it in some of the deeper shades of roses, since I did a healthy amount of reading this summer while on the search for "purple roses".
    My Ebb Tide is in rare form right now, it has the most beautifully formed, large, deep purple blooms that I have seen on it (or any rose) all year. Which has been nice because it has been somewhat of a problem child it's first year & now looks worth the trouble.
    So I just assumed that as a rule, where there were cooler temperatures and less sun exposure, rose colors would become deeper and more saturated, however a few of my yellows, most obviously Julia Child, and it's descendant Happy Go Lucky have done exactly the opposite & have become the most beautiful transparent pastel yellow . The look is somehow different than the look of a bloom that has faded in the summer sun & it looks so delicate and lovely. I was not expecting that! Also, this does not go across the board for my yellows, golden celebration got very close to a golden orange in it's last blooms.

Rose shades seem to have so much complexity! It is fun to watch them change.

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 23:54

• buford
    9 years ago

Also, if you post pictures on Facebook, you can get an html link from there. Simply right click on the picture, click on 'inspect element'. There will be a portion highlighted. Right click on that portion and then click on 'Copy Outer Html'. You can then post that directly into a GW post and the picture will show up. Just make sure that any pictures have the privacy setting at 'Everyone' otherwise just a broken link will show up.

This post was edited by buford on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 7:38

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I'm just trying this out via Facebook as recommended above - see if this works, as I didn't know you could do that...

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Well...thanks buford... I've learnt something today...

the rose is 'Kew Garden's by the way...... fairly consistent with its colouring here... but good to know we can do this...

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

Marlorena,

Your Kew Gardens is really lovely. It is one of my favorite Austins.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Thank you kat... I'm glad that you like it too...

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Just trying that repost from FB -- but look how much the color of 'Mme. Lambard' varies, from one bloom to another.

• buford
    9 years ago

I love Madame Lambard. I had to dig it up, and I'm hoping it survives. I'm giving it a much larger spot.

I figured out the FB thing by accident. FB, as most of you know, constantly changes things. I used to use the 'copy image location' from my pictures and use that with the GW script. But all of a sudden, that stopped working. That's when I tried other things. Hopefully FB doesn't change it again.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

It's VERY handy, Buford!

• zeffyrose
    9 years ago

this is a lovely rose---I like the family photos on each side and the lovely little dish with the roses---can we see a close-up of the family group----I love old family pictures
    Florence

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Oh, I'll try to get that for you, Florence. The girl in white is my maternal grandmother. It was taken at her fathers funeral, and includes her mother and grandmother.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I noticed back in Washington years ago that my Austins would fade almost to white in the hot dry summer months and than color more richly when fall came along. 'Perle d'Or' is beautifully colored right now, and the Hybrid Musks have particularly rich colors in fall as well. On the other hand some of the Teas seem to fade in cool weather. 'Mme. Antoine Mari' goes from her spring and summer whipped cream and cool pink to an autumn yellowish white--not an attractive color, to be honest--and I remember 'General Gallieni' turning much softer, and to my eyes much more agreeable, shades of peach and pink in the fall, after the burnt-looking summer hues.
    I agree with the predominant opinion here, I like how rose colors change with weather, season, and all the other factors that act on them.
    Roses can also change color after they're cut. Last spring, for once in my life I was able to gather pristine blooms of 'Etoile de Lyon' (I think that's what it is, though it didn't come with that name). Every year the rose beetles ruin every bloom, but this year EdL bloomed six weeks early, and I cut large, magnificent flowers to enjoy. They began colored shades of golden and creamy yellow touched with honey and fawn and soft tawny pink, but as the days passed the color changed, ending finally an even pale metallic yellow, different but still beautiful.
    Melissa

• mariannese
    9 years ago

Futtacker Schlingrose, a Geschwind climber, in July last year. This summer the colours were uniformly dark rose pink. Did I miss a sport?

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Quite possibly mariannese... but what a lovely rose...I must go check that one out...

I took these of 'Ghislaine de Feligonde' on the same day a few hours apart....such gorgeous buds, but the flower has changed colour in the 2nd shot... maybe the light, sun from another angle... but I do like this rose very much...

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

4 hours later..

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2121184}}

This is my 'Mirandy' purchased bare root spring. I hadn't anticipated such rapid development! This late season photo demonstrates the more pinky tones the blooms may take in HOT weather and direct sun. In slightly cooler conditions, the flowers are a rich, dark, purpley crimson. Yes, the blooms DO "nod" as they mature and age. It's fascinating- young buds green and then unfurling pointing straight up, gradually turning down to face you at their loveliest, and finally finishing demurely facing the earth. Charming!

Thank you to all for the choice advice! I don't have access to a desktop very often (a "kid" here on mobile unit ;-) ), and the Facebook approach will be my best option. I'll be sharing more as I am able!

Merry Christmas all!

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses, everyone!

I have noticed with my climbing rose, Rambling Red, that the blooms are bright red when they first open, and then when the blooms are close to spent, they are more of a fuschia color. I'm newer to gardening so I wasn't sure if that was common for lots of reds or not, but I found it interesting!