Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

David Austin offers five new roses

henry_kuska
13 years ago

"The five new English Roses are: pure-white Rosa 'Susan Williams-Ellis'; white species-look Rosa 'Kew Gardens'; lovely apricot Rosa 'Lady of Shalott'; rose-pink Rosa 'The Wedgwood Rose' and deep-cerise Rosa 'Tam o' Shanter'."

Above quote from news announcement linked to below.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Comments (20)

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Oh Oh. Lady of Shalott looks exquisite and Kew Gardens might give me what Sally Holmes was supposed to and always disappoints me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Every time David Austin announces his new roses for the year, I want to run outside and dig up a new rosebed so that I can plant them!

Fortunately for my pocketbook, I have no room left for new rosebeds--but I guess I can still daydream, can't I! LOL

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Kew Gardens might give me what Sally Holmes was supposed to and always disappoints me.

'Secret Garden Musk Climber' is 'Sally Holmes' minus the disappointment, but alas is not purported to be cold-hardy.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I think kew gardens looks so pretty! Id love to order one and put it next to Lyda rose. Ive recently fallen for the single flowered types. So charming!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I love the white one but it appears from a Google search that it is only available in England. Could that be right?

• professorroush
    13 years ago

hoovb...there you go...I'm trying to kick my zone-envy disease and you offer me another reason to continue....

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings Blog

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

I think I need to have Lady of Shalott, what a gorgeous color!

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

I don't see any of these on the U.S. site...

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

I wonder how long it takes for a new Austin rose to reach the American market? I would assume it would be available in the UK sooner than it would be over here, but I really have no idea how the rose trade works. I figure I'll just keep an eye on my favorite nurseries and buy it as soon as it becomes available.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

sometimes they don't offer them on the first year in both countries. Maybe next year if they do well, they'll offer them in the US? They've done that with some US-started DA's, too,... where they didn't sell them in the UK the first year.

Did DA even add any new ones to the US site this year?

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

No, I don't see any on the U.S. site yet, hence my comment above.

Also, don't count on a year later for travel across the pond. Although I very much enjoy the DAs that I still have, I've moved on to OGR's. That said, I still wouldn't mind to try Summer Song, introduced in 2005 in the UK and still not available here.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Personally, I don't find those new releases spectacular if
    compare to his other new roses such as 'Claire Austin' or Young Lycidas. I'm still waiting for Claire Austin and Young Lycidas and I hope we could have them soon.

Lady of Shallot reminds me of 'The Ambridge' rose except with a different colour.

• veryzer
    13 years ago

You can get Summer Song from Palatine.

• segask
    13 years ago

Kew Gardens, Lady of Shalott, The Wedgwood Rose, and Tam o' Shanter were introduced in the UK last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK introductions 2005 - 2011

• Terry Crawford
    13 years ago

I'm disappointed in 'Summer Song' personally. I have 2...both grafted on multiflora. One came from Hortico; the other from Pickering and they are just finishing their 2nd year in my garden.

Although the color is an awesome tangerine, the blooms are very small, few and far inbetween flushes, and face downwards. The bush itself has the typical long, octupus arms and even the leaves are unattractive...small and sporadic. I'm just not impressed; there are much better Austins out there.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Yes, I remember 'Summer Song' had those long octupus arms and very sharp thorns which I really dislike.

'Heritage' also had those octupus arms too but I find the habit of Heritage a lot beautiful than Summer Song.

• segask
    13 years ago

these new roses still don't seem to be on the U.S. website, however, you can now order the 2011 U.S. catalog. I've been clicking on that link every day for a while now. Up until today it said 2010 catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: David Austin 2011 U.S. catalog

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"GROWING THINGS: A bed of roses: Old favorites, new David Austin introductions bring fragrance and beauty in the garden"

Another newspaper article, zone 4.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Well, I have Claire Austin, and I'm not impressed with that one. Primary problem is that you cannot cut the blooms -- they shatter almost immediately after opening, and especially quick if you try to cut them from the plant. They shoulda called that one something like Icestorm -- you mostly see petals on the ground.

I still think Ambridge Rose is the best of the Austins, but if you NEED to try a new one, then The Endeavor (AUSdisco) is a good one, and I think it is available only in the US and Australia, and not England (go figure). But I've had it for a year and like it.

Kathy

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

Thanks all on your comments about Summer Song. I can now put that wish to bed, yeay!