Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Best Flowering White or Yellow Rose - Knock Out or Easy Elegance

whaas_5a
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm having a tough time selecting a rose for in front of my bay window. I'm looking for these main characteritics.

- Nice compact form that can be kept to 2.5-3' in height

- Zone 4B (just west of Milwaukee, Wi)

- Low maintenance with exceptional disease resitance

- South east exposure

- Color = yellow, white or soft pink (coral)

- Mass plating as the border plant

I've been eyeing up Rainbow Knock Out, Sunny Knock Out, All The Rage (EE), Snowdrift (EE), Macy's Pride (EE)

Any suggestions on which one? OR maybe there is something else out there? My number one concern is number of blooms and blooming cycle. Color is last as any of those 3 colors will pop or compliment the artic willows I have and the white and chocolate trim colors of the house.

Comments (8)

• terri_ks
    15 years ago

My rainbow knockout is a true disappointment. Blooms are small and fade to a dull yellow/tan. I will be replacing mine

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

The Knock Outs won't be hardy. I don't know about the Easy Elegance roses since they haven't been around long enough for there to be much information out there.

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

I'd recommend Wild Spice, a hybrid rugosa that is a nice rounded plant and repeats much better than the species. Blooms are large & divinely fragrant, and the foliage is a bright light green for me (almost lime green!). It's thorny as the dickens, of course! Cold-winter tolerant yellows are rare, corals even more so. Another low-growing-- and very beautiful-- rugosa is Fru Dagmar Hastrup, or Frau Dagmar Hartopp, spellings vary but the rose is rock-solid and has been used in freeway medians! It is a single, and it is marvelous. Check it out on helpmefind.com/roses. (Oh, I used to live in the frozen north!).

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm now only looking into white ones:

- Wild Spice Rugosa (I like the light green foilage)
    - Blanc Double de Coubert Rugosa
    - Snowdrift (EE),
    - Macy's Pride (EE)
    - Sunny Knock Out (I know it starts out yellow)

In order of importance, # of blooms, blooming cycle, maintain 2.5' height and light green foilage.

FYI: All the Knockouts perform well in my area, even though it says zone 5.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like I have one more to add to the list.

- White Meidland Rose

Hopefully someone can with my decision!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how tall Blanc Double de Coubert Rugosa will get in your area, but I planted her in my Zone 6 garden assuming she would get 4-5 tall. She hasn't made it yet. Perhaps she isn't as tall as I thought, or maybe she is just a slow grower. At any rate, you may have to trim her a lot when she gets older. I've done a little snip here or there on my hybrid rugosa, but never any regular pruning--don't know how she would take frequent pruning.

By the way, my Blanche is somewhat wider than tall, so far. Don't know if that is typical or not.

Blanche is definitely disease-resistant, but she is not the heaviest bloomer so far (I've had her 3.5 years).

Hope that helps.

Kate

• luxrosa
    15 years ago

I suggest 'Seafoam', it is hardy to 4b, and it is also rated as Earthkind, which means it is a very disease resistant rose where it was tested in Texas.
    It has re-bloom similar to Florabunda class roses.
    and its' foliage is dark green and very pretty.
    In Northern California 'Seafoam' grows to be 3 and 1/2 by 4 and 1/2 to 5 feet wide. I would expect it to be a bit smaller in your climate. helpmefind.com has photos.
    I do love the flowers, of 'Blanc de Courbet' but not the plant as much as Seafoam, because Blanc has wicked thorns that have ripped the skin off of the top of my hand when I was picking a bloom. Also, the 4-5 plants of B de C, I've seen have each been somewhat gangly.

Lux.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A local nursery suggested EE Snow Drift.

Its seems like it might be the best choice for hardiness, shape, disease resistance. I wish I could find more on this rose though. I did like the Wild Spice Rugosa but hardy up to -20 might not cut it. I recall lows of -17 last year in my area.

Still looking for suggestions! Not ordering until spring.