Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

Rose standard dead...rose growing back at old site...Dr. Huey??

ronda_in_carolina
16 years ago

What rose is typically used as the standard portion of a rose tree? I had to dig my The Fairy rose standard up after it got rose gall at the union point on the standard. Now I have a rose returning from the soil. I doubt this is The Fairy...but would it be Dr. Huey or something else?

Just Wondering....

Ronda

Comments (8)

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Dr. Huey regrows here from root divisions all the time, even if only from a pot sitting on the soil.

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But...is Dr Huey what is commonly used as the base (stem) on a rose standard??

Ronda

• mike_rivers
    16 years ago

Ronda, I have a sentence in my notebook about rose standards, which evidently came from the Maryland Rose Society website:

"The understock used by Jackson & Perkins generally, according to Mike Cady,
    Horticulturist for J&P, is a double graft of De la Grifferaie (Hmult, deep pink, Vibert, 1845) onto
    Dr. Huey (LCl dark red, Thomas, 1914) which, in turn, has the chosen variety grafted onto it.
    Sometimes they use Dr. Huey alone for the root and main cane stock onto which the chosen
    variety is grafted."

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

I've never seen a De la Griff standard commercially here, but it's considered best to bud De la Griff onto rootstock because it suckers so badly if not properly de-eyed.

All I see in California are miserable, sun-burned and sun-scalded Dr. Huey standards.

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm...I do believe I purchased this from J&P. I wonder if this means that I might have De la Grifferaie coming back???
    If so, I know nothing of this rose....

• windeaux
    16 years ago

As Mike said above, tree roses are almost always composed of 2 grafts that join 3 distinct 'pieces': The rootstock, the interstock (trunk) & the scion (the portion that produces the bloom). If your plant was a 36-inch rose tree from J&P it's almost certain that the interstock was Grifferaie grafted onto Dr Huey rootstock. If it was a 24-inch tree, it's conceivable that both the roots & the interstock were Dr Huey, altho Grifferaie is often used on those too.

If you planted the tree deeply enough, I suppose it would be possible for the interstock to strike roots, but I think that's unlikely. I seriously doubt that there's any possibility De la Grifferaie will be the variety that comes back in your garden. I agree with berndoodle that you can expect Dr Huey to be making another of his unwelcome house calls.

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok that is what I wanted to know. Since it seems certain that Dr. Huey was the rootstock I won't bother to wait to be sure.

I don't care for Dr. Huey but would have waited around to see if I had Grifferaie if there was any chance. When I dug the rootball up the interstock had in no way rooted in the surrounding soil. The new growth I see is almost assuredly from the rootstock. Dr. Huey--yuck.

Thanks for your help!

Ronda

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

De la Grifferaie is a hybrid multiflora, with dark green leaves with a matte surface. Here's a closeup of the foliage when it's all fresh and sweet in the springtime. By the end of the season, it doesn't look this nice.
    http://www.rosefog.us/TemporaryImages/DeLaGrifferieClose.jpg

It looks nothing like Dr. Huey, usually notable for massive quantities of powdery mildew, green canes with scattered or few prickles, somewhat shiny leaves and, too often, RMV.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good representation of Dr. Huey foliage

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH