Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teka2rjleffel

Best small repeat bloomers

teka2rjleffel
13 years ago

First, thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions on your favorite Chinas. I want them all but unfortunately space is an issue and plants tend to get very large here. So can you suggest any old roses of any class that have reliable repeat that stay small. I do spray if needed.Thanks

Nancy

Comments (11)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

I will start with Caldwell Pink. I bought it as Caldwell Pink, but others say it is Pink Pet. It is a polyantha or china.

The best rose I have is Souvenir de la Malmaison. It is a bourbon.
    Sammy

• sabalmatt_tejas
    13 years ago

My best small repeat bloomer is Marie Pavie. She is disease resistant, heat resistant and fragrant.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Mr. Bluebird, classed as a polyantha or miniature, but actually of china origins. I don't know how it will do in your humid climate, but it's disease-free in my warm, dry climate. Mme. Dore, a small bourbon, also repeat-blooms very well.

Ingrid

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

Martha Gonzales is blooming right now & will likely remain green all winter.

• dallasguy
    13 years ago

My favorite smaller repeat bloomers are Souvenir de la Malmaison(really an amazing rose and very fragrant.) "White pearl in red dragons mouth" is a great small china, I have it in a container and it has stayed under 2ft. Republic of Texas is a nice yellow repeat bloomer, also under 2 ft. Hope this helps and have a great holiday!

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

Borderer" a Bourbon-Poly with shapely medium pink blooms,
    Katherine Zeimet is very small, only c. 2-3 feet tall here.
    the "Little white pet" that hortico sells is very fast repeating and a darling rose, we keep it pruned to be a spreading 2 foot tall bush.

Lux.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Nancy, I really like White Pet, a polyantha that gets covered with big clusters of white, lightly fragrant flowers. I also really like Clotilde Soupert - ditto on the getting covered part, but her flowers are fragrant and globular. She has SO MANY flowers that the few that ball (she must ball worse in other places) are not a problem, and her repeat is excellent. I imagine she can be kept easily at 4x4 or 4x3 or less. Borderer is very nice. It stayed very close to the ground for a couple of seasons and is now maybe 18" tall and 3' across. I like the color - kind of light coral/peachy/pink - and double. The Gruss an Aachens are very small in my yard. I wish they'd be bigger, but they still put out the big, fragrant flowers. Hermosa is pretty small - AND pretty with very double globular lilac pink flowers. I have 3 in a group, and a flush is very striking. For red Valentine isn't very big (less than 2x2 going into her 4th spring), but it's not as healthy as the others BUT the flowers are amazing - red on the inside and silvery, silky light pink on the underside and quite large for such a small bush - 3+ inches when fully open. She does better when I remember to cut her back a few leaf sets instead of just snapping the spent blooms.

Sherry

• dallasguy
    13 years ago

Sherry

I have Valentine and it is a great suggestion. It is a very quick repeat bloomer. I also have Hermosa but found it to be leggy and quite a bit bigger than I thought it was going to get. Maybe it just likes the spot it is in.

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Yeah, Dallas, Hermosa is leggy. I found it gets leafier when I nip all (many) of its canes a few inches. Mine are maybe 4x2 and maybe need more feeding (??).

Sherry

• clanross
    13 years ago

Marie Pavie and Pink Pet are both very good here. Also, Mutabilis once it gets warm. :)

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

I am delighted with Verdun. Less than 24 inches and constantly in bloom. Though HMF calls it a carmine red, I would describe the blooms as a bright pink. It blends very well with the other antiques.

The flowers are a little over an inch across and they come in masses.... twenty or more per stem. AND... they last a very long time on the plant.

Last, but not least, very healthy in my no spray garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verdun