Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpev7hard_gw

Garlic foliage dried, really small bulb!

kpev7hard
14 years ago

I decided to try my hand at growing garlic last fall. I bought two bulbs, Chesnok Red and Spanish Roja, from a garlic farm and planted all the cloves (big and small) in mid October in full sun in soil amended with compost. We had a wet winter and spring and all the cloves sprouted nice tall foliage. I cut the scapes and watered when it didn't rain.

Last week one of the smaller stalks was completely dried up so i decided to dig it up and see the glorious garlic bulb I grew. The bulb was the size of a cherry tomato! Not big enough to be useful in the kitchen, so I replanted it (the bulb was not damaged during this whole ordeal).

I haven't dug up any other ones yet. They still have about 50% of their green leaves. What should I do? Can I leave the small bulb in the ground until next year and maybe it will be bigger? Is it a lost cause? I have learned from this forum that I probably planted too many of the small cloves. I guess I will wait until late July to dig the rest, but now I'm nervous that I'm digging too early and my crop will be stunted!

Garlic experts, HELP!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz