Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnemarie_gw

Dogwood, Redbud, Whitebud or Sweetberry?

lynnemarie
13 years ago

Seeking low maintenance ornamental tree for center front of house which is mostly shade, dappled sun. Will be the center of the small landscape plan so needs to have some personality.

Nursery recommended white dogwood, Oklahoma Redbud, Forest Pansy Redbud, regular Eastern Redbud, Texas Whitebud or sweetberry.

House is red so leaning towards white blooms vs. pink. Leaning towards sweetberry (grandiflora) but not looking for fruit to eat or birds to leave a mess so now not sure.

Suggestions to novices??

Comments (6)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Redbuds in my yard are quicker growing than dogwoods. The dogwoods seem longer lived.

My dogwoods have berries on them right now. Cant say i have noticed a rash of colored bird droppings. Redbid fruit is hanging seed pods. It is less formal looking.

Oh, dont all the redbuds flower purple?

those are the two i am experienced with.

• suel41452
    13 years ago

I agree with you, if your house is red, a white bloomer would contrast nicely. I had an eastern redbud that recently bit the dust, I would not get another, if for no other reason the fall color (important to me!) is so lackluster & they are disease-prone & short-lived.
    My kousa dogwood blooms for weeks and there are beautiful named cultivars like 'Venus' (kousa hybrid) and 'Milky Way'. Don't get a generic grown-from-seed kousa -like I did- because it will take years to bloom!! A 'Pagoda' dogwood is resistant to anthracnose which killed a lot of dogwoods in Va. I have a 'Cherokee Princess' dogwood which is supposed to be more disease-resistant. There are a lot of other cultivars of dogwoods that are more disease-resistant available these days. There's a double-flowering dogwood that I have been drooling over, the flowers are GORGEOUS but they are very hard to find. I think Merrifield Garden Centers sell them if you're close to one. Hey - you're a Virginian - you gotta have a dogwood, lol! I'm not familiar with the other trees you mention.
    I'm a huge japanese maple fan, that would be a great spot for one - their fall color is unsurpassed, IMO!

• lynnemarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tornado and Sue! Sue, you've talked me into the dogwood. We had a Kousa that never looked great and I bet it was the generic grown from seed kind. Will see if the nursery (Fort Valley in Woodstock) has Pagoda or Cherokee Princess.

Thx again!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Another suggestion:
    Hydrangea Pee Gee Hydrangea paniculata - it's also sterile.

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Excuse me, cultivar 'Grandiflora' is sterile and has white flowers...

Dax

• lynnemarie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dax -

A neighbor had recommended a Limelight hydrangea tree. That is PeeGee I think? Now I will consider that vs. dogwood.

Thx.