Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimnpa

Maria's Gem (H. Santa Rosa x H. Yume Mitai)

This is a first time blooming of a seedling that I got from seed from our Maria in October of 2010. I have several bulbs from this cross but they are at least a year away from blooming. This particular seedling was the most vigorous and grew like a weed. I left it go into dormancy in November and was surprised to see a flower scape at just over 2 years from seed.
The pod parent is Santa Rosa, a beautiful cream/rose colored cybister. The pollen parent is a Komoriya hybrid. This 'baby' combines the flowering characteristics of both parents. The flower has the re-curved petals of a cybister. Unfortunately, it posesses the 2 flowers per stem of its pollen parent, Yume Mitai. Hopefully, in years to come it will produce more flowers per stem. I have a fondness for all things cybister, so this, little gem, has definitely earned a spot on my growing table. I hope you enjoy it and I will try to get a better photo. It was so windy here today that I could not get a good 'outside' photo.

Thanks Maria!!!

Jim

{{gwi:377788}}

{{gwi:377789}}

Comments (36)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I love cybisters! I think she's gorgeous... hopefully subsequent blooms will yield more flowers. She is quite a prize! -
    Tina

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Wonderfully stunning

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Just beautiful Jim! I too have a few seedlings from Maria growing on nicely..cybister type too!
    Let me take this opportunity (rather than look for an older thread) to show you how vigorously the aulicum seedling you sent are growing. There are 5 that are growing extremely well and although I know they should be repotted I think they can wait a few more months until late Spring. I just love the way the leaves curl..is this a trait of aulicum?..Thanks again,Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    11 years ago

Very lovely - soft yet with that wilder cybister showing through. :)
    -J

• mariava7
    11 years ago

How nice!!!

I should be the one thanking you Jim for posting the result of your TLC and hard work. I am just a pollen dabber. :-) Yes, 2010 was a very productive year when I was blessed and got to release a lot of seed crosses between the exotics(cybisters/trumpets/yellows) and my Japanese hybrids. Hopefully, they will produce flowers that you all will be happy with.

Below is an updated pic of your seedling Jim so you can keep this for your records. H. Santa Rosa - seedpod parent on the left and H. Yume Mitai pollen parent on the right. Thank you so much again for sharing pics of this result with us.

Happy Hippie growing everybody!!!

• mariava7
    11 years ago

A sister bloomed in Australia.
    H. Santa Rosa X Yume Mitai (Komoriya)
    {{gwi:377790}}

And from the same garden...
    H. Moonlight X H. Green Lady (Komoriya)
    {{gwi:377791}}

And another one...
    Sorry she lost the tag. LOL
    {{gwi:377792}}

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

They are all so lovely!

11 years ago

Hi Maria,

The progeny of Santa Rosa and Yume Mitai all all lovely!

I have a question about Yume Mitai: On the Internet I see pictures that show 4 flowers and am wondering how many flowers you were able to get from your bulb. Perhaps the picture is an illusion and there is a second stalk directly behind the first scape. Just curious as it is a very beautiful flower.
    Thanks,

Donna

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Yume Mitai - 2 flowers per stem

I also got some results this year from "Dad" Yume Mitai:)

{{gwi:377793}}

11 years ago

Pupu.
    That's very pretty but it seems to have lost the delicate markings of "Dad". Do you remember what the cross was?

I wonder if you crossed Yume Mitai with Graffiti if the markings would come through..similar type flowers..just a thought..

Donna

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Hello, Donna
    Mother is Jade Serpent.
    I think this photo looks like Graffiti, maybe it's the same cross or relative?

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Maria i love the frilly edges and the deep veins that run through it. i also like to see the other flowers in peoples pics and it looks like your clivias are coming in great

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Maria,

Her shapely presence brings both papilio and Ludwig 96-28 to mind. She is curvaceous, bold, and beautiful.

Congratulations!

Blanca

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Duplicate message deleted.

This post was edited by blancawing on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 7:42

11 years ago

Maria,

You can't get much better than that! Very desirable and an apt name. I love the green on the end of each curvy petal! I hope I end up with something like this from my papilio crosses with cybisters!! Only 3 year to wait...

Donna

• pupu999
    11 years ago

WOW, Jungle Lady is a hot chick.

Congrats, Maria

• haweha
    11 years ago

Now this is a good one! Thank you for showing and Compliments to the breeder!

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Hubba hubba! Jungle Lady is a hottie! She's got beautiful curves.

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Thank you all!

Just an update on Jungle Lady...
    I pollinated all of it's 4 flowers.
    Unfortunately, she decided to rest after flowering (no new leaf growth) so all pollinations failed. :-(
    This lady is playing her "hard to get" game on me! LOL

Here she was before she took her beauty sleep.

• blancawing
    11 years ago

I hope that your sleeping beauty will find her perfect mate the next time she blooms.

-B

• dangles
    11 years ago

wow I love them all well done the last one I think is stunning I wish I could get some of this type of hippeastrum regards and happy growing danny

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I just gotta share this pic...

My best hybrid with H. Bogota (established). LOL
    I used Jungle Lady's pollens on this Bogota and I think I will be blessed with some seeds. Counting down the weeks now...

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, May 7, 13 at 0:14

• dangles
    10 years ago

all the flowers are just gorgeous I love them wish we cybesters in Australia regards and happy growing danny

10 years ago

Maria,

I wish you luck this this cross, if it takes the flowers should be just gorgeous!! I just had one stalk on my Bogota and pollinated all 4 flowers and the only one that took was Sweet Lilian.. a few of them are germinating.

It looks like your good genes were passed down to your cute grandaughter as well!!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna! Bogota X Sweet Lilian looks exciting. Hope the siblings inherit SL's colors, fragrance and performance. SL does flower twice a year sometimes.

Bogota X Jungle Lady failed. Seedpods just decided to shrivel up. Oh well... I pollinated some Komoriya bulbs with it's pollens. It seems like this lady likes Sushi. :-)

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Another lost tag seedling blooms. Very cute! It must be one of my Limona / Exotica / Green Sonatini crosses. I am thinking more of Exotica as it inherited the shimmer on the petals. But then it's got Limona's veining likewise. Oh well...

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 11:18

• mariava7
    10 years ago

And another one blooms in Australia in less than 3 years from planting seeds. This one came from a seed mix so it could have been from my Hippies or your donated seeds. Thank you all so much for sharing.

Pretty color huh? Reminds me of Donau. Thank goodness it's not red! LOL

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 23:56

• mariava7
    9 years ago

This seedling of mine is right now in bloom...first time.
    I think it is a keeper. 4 buds in the scape.
    Hopefully it regularly blooms in fall.

"Jungle Joy"
    {{gwi:377794}}

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 9:17

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Very nice undulating frills! It looks like another splendid offspring of 'Yume Mitai.'

• mariava7
    9 years ago

Thanks Blanca! No Yume Mitai genes in this one girlfriend...just H. papilio. 4 1/2 inch wide flowers.

9 years ago

WOW!! Now that's a keeper!!

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Wow! I'm surprised. That is a great result!

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Yes, colors and corrugating just wonderful!
    The flower has a unique look, congratulations.

• mariava7
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Yume, Graffiti and Viridi have very similar color patterns and inherited papilio's wide petalled "wings". Jungle Joy did not inherit this and has thinner petals which most probably is the reason why it is greener. It could be the cooler fall temps likewise. I will try to cross this one with Jungle Lady and hope to get more frilly petalled results with red picotee. I love them picoteed frills!

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful as always, Maria! :-)

Sponsored
More Discussions