Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagancat

Moving back to Phx...

Pagancat
12 years ago

Hi folks - I haven't been on this forum for years, but used to be a very regular post-er.

I'm moving back to Phoenix after 5-6 years in Tennessee. It's quite a change, and frankly, I'm looking forward to it. But I do have some questions about some of the plants that I have here, and whether or not any of them will survive back in the Blast Furnace.

I am only thinking about the succulents I have - mainly the sedums. I had a wreath of Semperviums, but was told that the amount of water needed to keep them alive would also rot them out (*sniff*). I do have a few sedums though, for instance 'Autumn Joy', 'Neon', 'Elsie's Gold' and a few others. Has anyone had any experience with these plants?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sheryl

Comments (14)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

Welcome back! Sorry, can't help with the succulent questions but wanted to extend the welcome mat.

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mary, thanks!

• aztreelvr
    12 years ago

Hi Sheryl!

Looking forward to having you back. Hopefully you'll arrive before the heat sets in. ;-) Sorry, I'm no good with succulents either, maybe DBG could help?

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Sheryl - they may do well as potted plants in light shade, such as on an east-facing porch.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Welcome back, hopefully you'll be happy with the move back! I know I was (and am) after my 18 month purgatory in Seattle from 2005-2006 (I quit my Seattle job, sold my Seattle house, etc to come back to the place I love (had moved here in 2000 before the Seattle transfer). I'm still thrilled I did and hope you will be too!

Did you keep your old Phx house and are moving back to it? Or are you looking for a new place?

In any case, you're totally right about sempervivums, I had a few sneak their way into pots during my purgatory and they all melted when I moved the main plant/pot here. Some died within months, and some took a year without a cold winter, but you're right, they're not super good choices. Neither are the winter hardy types like 'Autumn Joy' etc., but you never know, like Lazy mentioned, in a shady spot you might have better luck with them. I suppose it can't hurt to try!

Good luck with the move, it'll be fun to have you posting on this forum again! I hope you'll be happy with your return!

Happy gardening!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's garden pics so far this March

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the welcome. It's true that this move isn't entirely my idea, but I'm still looking forward to starting a new garden, lol. With *so* many fewer weeds and if I see so much as a sprout of Bermuda grass, it will be full-scale war.

I've also missed the more architectural plants of the desert, have been greedily looking up plants that I can now get. I'll miss my booming iris collection, but thems the breaks. I know they'd transplant, I'm just not up for the water.

I'm hoping to do a pilgrimage to Bachs and Desert Survivors in the fall - anyone up for a road trip to Tucson? = )

12 years ago

Can I bring back a Chaparral Sage? :-)

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You can bring back anything you can pay for, lol. But you better hope there's more than one of the Chapparal - it is *very* high on my list!

Love the smelll of it.... even in the car, lol.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Starting a new garden is always fun! Keep us posted on the house hunting and garden starting etc. Sounds fun (and stressful too of course). It's good to have you back on the forum, and on your way back to AZ. Take care, and safe travels!

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got the house, 19th/ Happy Valley area. Near to movie theaters YAY!!!! (There's only one here and it's 45 minutes away, and a little too family friendly for me, lol).

So Grant, wanna go for a ride?

>grin

12 years ago

That Nortera theater is great. We do matinee's.

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup, that's our Sunday afternoon thing. He gets his action flix, I get my popcorn, everyone is happy.

I'll be right below Norterra in a funky little horsey area. We'll be converting a sprinkler system to drip and systematically killing lawn, lol.

Some people just never change....

12 years ago

:-) What? No oleanders at the new place?

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Imagine that, lol.... dang those things were just *out* of *control*.....