Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

dormant Northern Catalpa is here

v1rt
13 years ago

At last, the dormant Northern Catalpa I ordered from Arborday back in August has arrived. It's somewhere between 24" to 28" long and roots are very healthy. It looks nice since there is only one leader. I've planted it outside today. I now have 2 catalpas. :)

I will try to germinate 3 more seeds early next year so I can have 5 total. :)

Comments (12)

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I have them things sprouting up all over my yard, I have to keep pulling them up or digging them out from my fence. Very quick growers, and their flowers are beautiful. One of my favorite trees. I love the look of the old trees. But I wonder how their root system is, I'd like to plant hostas under my young one.

Karen

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have seen hostas and coleus around the foot of a 12 ft catalpa. It's beautiful! I saw it at Olbrich Gardens.

If I grow it from seed early next year,what will be the height at the end of the season which is around this time?

• terrene
    13 years ago

I like these trees too. Gorgeous exotic flowers. Did you give them plenty of space and do you have room for 5 of them?? I've got a 45 year old Catalpa speciosa in front of a rental house (where I previously lived). It wasn't really sited that well by the previous owner, because it's only a few feet from a sidewalk and many branches overhang the road. I think it should have been planted back farther. This is a large, somewhat imposing tree when it matures.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The two trees are like 13 ft apart. However, they're about 8 ft from the property line. I'm not sure if I should transplant them. The area where I planted them is the perfect place because they will give nice shade to the patio I recently built.

I've seen them here and they are large. I've also seen some that are narrower. Prolly, they might have been cut intentionally.

They are gorgeous! I don't have any pics of the one I saw near our place with flowers. Next time I go there, I'll make sure they're blooming! :)

Some folks are also pruning them down to 3 ft. It makes a nice large bush. :) I'll try that too!

• tepelus
    13 years ago

For anyone not familiar with Catalpa flowers, here's a picture of a cluster from my tree:

{{gwi:479721}}

Karen

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I've read that they're fragrant. Can you smell them from 10 feet away or you have to get close to the flower?

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I haven't noticed any scent to the flowers, at least not that I can remember.

Karen

• giantslug
    13 years ago

My Northern Catalpa trees have a mild scent that I can smell from at least 25 feet from the tree when it is blooming. The scent reminds me of Honeydew melon and plum tree blossoms, a very nice smell to me.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I guess I just don't remember any smells, but I'll pay attention to it next year.

Karen

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Very nice flower picture Karen.

I like Catalpa very much. With winter coming up the way their branching structure always gets my attention is on my mind.

• greenthumbzdude
    13 years ago

Yea, catalpa grows all over the place where i live. These trees are suppose to be attractive to hummingbirds. There is a gigantic catalpa near my house thats about 6 feet in diameter.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a catalpa tree that I posted here about 2 months ago. I wish my catalpa would come out like this.

{{gwi:402999}}