Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeitgast

Help ugly box! Any ideas on how to fix?

Sms
11 years ago
House has great views (as long as you are looking out). No symmetry, featureless. Any ideas?

Comments (93)

• Becky Drury
    11 years ago
    If all the windows could be made to at least be the same height it would help some. If it can be afforded, extend the deck around from the side across the entire length of the house and Pergola roof or porch roof over the middle row of windows would distract from the boxiness of it.
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like Houssan's inspiration photo. It is something no to shocking to shoot for. But I have to say, I agree with Dytecture's bold suggestion of total contemporary makeover. Total bold excitement.

Either direction will be great to view from all perspectives.
  • lovebalancedlife
    11 years ago
    I actualy like the shape of your home. I agree with Dytectur. There is a lot you can do with It. I would just change the windows for more modern look and add colors. Posiabley just paint the sidings. Dytecture in the picture he sent you gave some very good ideas for modernize the look of ths home.
  • mitzimkthinks
    11 years ago
    It's like a blank canvas! I like it. I'd do wraparound porches and balconies. Plenty of sliding glass doors and either awnings or eyebrow windows.
  • Roni OConnell
    11 years ago
    You have many great suggestions here, but to add my own. I would continue the second floor poarch to wrap around and add stacked stone veneer beneath on the first floor level. This would add a rich depth and beauty to your lovely traditional home. Check out El Dorado Stone for gorgeous stone ideas that are native to your area.
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the help. I learned how to use Google Sketchup (sort of) to incorporate some of the ideas. Looks better-- thoughts?
  • PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    11 years ago
    I would change the lower posts on the porch to masonry piers-thin posts, while structurally able to handle the load, do not visually handle the weight of the second floor level porch, especially with a closed railing. I would also delete the turn in the stairs, and look at a straight run-its going to be tough to have the stair run under the porch from both a technical and visual standpoint. otherwise, really nice start to a sketchup model-i use it as a start to all of my projects. its one of the best for quick studies of form.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    11 years ago
    Zeitgast: The model itself isn't bad. The exterior is similar to the ideas that Mr. Carwood offered earlier. Given the scope of work you spoke of initially, it would seem that this level of exterior renovation would be a project unto itself? To do this level of exterior renovation, in addition to two bathrooms and a kitchen, I believe that your budget will either have to increase or your scope of work will have to be done in phases. This is one of the reasons why I suggested that the exterior work be primarily a reside and some trim work. Spend most of your money, if the budget is not flexible, on the interior work If you do plan to go to this level of exterior renovation, I would, as I believe Mr. Carwood suggested, hire an architect with substantial experience in the development and planning of homes on waterfront parcels in your area. As this illustrates an expansion of the existing building envelope, it is important to make certain that this intended work complies with all building and zoning codes in your area, before you become married to the idea that you can legally build this design. If there are any governing CCRs, if your lot is part of a development, you should review them to see if you need to get these ideas approved by your home owner's assn. I would also recommend that you engage the services of a professional land surveyor first, in order to make certain that any of your intended work is not impacted by setbacks, easements, sewer or septic systems or buried underground utilities. Nothing is more frustrating (and costly) than when a person engages in home improvements that they are not permitted to do.
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi all its been awhile since I last posted but we took DMH DESIGN's sage advice and hired an architect who has extensive experience in costal zones. Indeed we had some restrictions that we are working through. Attached is the first draft of the concepts.

The tall stair case on the front was really a problem so we asked for that to be addressed and this solution moves the staircase inside which also allowed us to eliminate the down going stairs to the first level (in-law apt) creating more interior space on both floors.

Gambrel roof line and wrapped deck help to break up the height.

Sliders open the view up.

Deck couldn't extend as far as we wanted due to set back rules.

Would be interested in your thoughts/comments.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Love the gambrel roof that extents aound to the front. It adds interest and seems to make it less tall and boxy. I like the change in materials for the lower level. I like that you move the steps to the side and the way the back corner has been extended with an entrance on that level with a shed roof. I also like the new windows without the shutters. It really shows what a good architect can imagine.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    thanks for the tip on Google Sketch. didn't know is existed. Great job finding and experimenting!
    I think you may want to look at incorporating your design with his more. Although I understand the idea of the gabrel, your home looks pretty good without it. Smart idea to hire an architect. After all, that is their specialty. :=)
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    The architect's design is great! I was trying to think how to make the entry more inviting and more clear where guests are supposed to come in, never thought of eliminating the second level entry altogether and bringing it all inside. Having a shared first floor entry for both units makes so much more sense. Unloading luggage, groceries and more will be so much easier this way. You might still have to go upstairs but it will be out of the weather. Next step, a dumbwaiter!
    Craftsman Kitchen · More Info
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    I really like what your Architect suggests - well worth hiring them. I still think the front entrance could be made a bit more impressive to suit the scale of the house as it looks a bit like a side door to me, especially with the large stairs near it. I would use part glazed walls at the side of the entry porch rather than just posts so that it is more substantial looking. Would a larger door with side lights work with the internal layout?
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Pollyannagal

I agree the front entrance needs better definition. A door change could help as will sconces and perhaps flower boxes. Not sure I understand what you mean by glazed wall-- would you mind elaborating? Thx and Happy Turkeyday
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    By 'part glazed wall' I meant a wall that is solid at the bottom but a window at the top so that the porch is more enclosed but you can still see out to the sides. Lets in more light than having solid walls and I think is more welcoming. If you want I can try and post a picture.
  • Roni OConnell
    11 years ago
    This started 3 months ago... Haven't they made a decision yet?
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    Roni - the initial discussions were 3 months ago, they then went and hired an architect to draw up plans and have come back to show the suggestions which is great for those who have been involved to see the progress. If you've ever worked with an architect on a big remodel you would have to agree that 3 months is pretty good going!
  • Roni OConnell
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the update.
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    Whether it’s something simple or elaborate, “privacy” glass or stained glass – Your main entry, especially since it’s downstairs and shaded, would, I think be nice with some kind of glass door which would help let in light. Combined with perhaps a large planter to the left of the door and maybe a simple outdoor bench under the windows, all would lead your visitor’s eye to your front entrance.
    [houzz=
    Kuma Lodge · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Light & Airy Foyer · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    mid-century [re]modern · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Entry Door · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Craftsman Style · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Dwellings · More Info
    ]
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi All,

While we await our upcoming variance hearing we began the selection process for our GC. The one we really liked came up with a suggestion to add an upper balcony as shown in the attached.

This would obviously provide an amazing view from the master and guest bedrooms that are on the top floor and would provide full cover for the deck below. The downsides would be adding more poles to the deck thus impacting the views from the mid (main) level of the house and of course the added cost.

The family is at a split decision on the asthetics (budget tbd but likely ~$12k extra) but we thought it would be fun to throw this open to a poll since you have all been so helpful along the way. So the question is... is this worth the extra investment from an enjoyment and ROI on ultimate resale persepctive?
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    I love it with the deck. It really breaks up that big facade and makes the entry look more welcoming.
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    We have a large balcony off our master and guest bedrooms with ocean views. It is wonderful, on a nice day (less fun when wet and windy) and everyone who comes to stay loves it. From the point of view of added enjoyment of your property and added 'wow factor' (which translates into resale value) I would say go for it, but it can make it hard to get your guests to leave!

I don't think that the views from downstairs would be compromised by the additional support posts, but have you looked at the impact on the view from the bedroom of the solid enclosure? When you are across the room e.g. sitting up in bed and admiring the view, the balcony wall will appear higher than the window cill in the room so will you end up looking at the clouds and not much else? To see what I mean look at the drawings of the views from your downstairs room - the balcony rail appears higher due to perspective. If you don't have drawings of this ask your architect, or even try to mock something up yourself so you can visualise the impact. Maybe an open railing would be better upstairs too and it would look lighter than the solid wall? Either way, you will want a nice high bed so you can really appreciate the views.

It might seem like a lot extra to find along with everything else you are doing, but in the long run you will be glad you did it and adding it later would cost much more.
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Good point about the closed deck and high bed thx Pollyannagal.

Curious if you get much use out of the deck. We
    are concerned that we wouldn't really use the upper deck so much and the additional pole would compromise our use of the main deck. On the flip side though the full cover would allow us to use the main deck on a rainy day.
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    LOVE the revision with the extra deck - as long as you open up the front of that top deck like pollyannagal suggested so that the lucky resident of that bedroom can enjoy the views. Once it is in place you will find that it is a perfect spot to savour that first cup of coffee in the morning, or to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening - making that bedroom a nice, private sanctuary when you have a houseful of guests..

I think once you get used to them, those extra support posts will "disappear" the more you appreciate being able to use that main floor deck more often in more kinds of weather. You will also find that the cover will help neutralize window covering problems for those front windows when it comes time to decorate that new room.

IMO, well worth the investment.

Good luck on the variance hearing.

And thank you for keeping us posted on your progress. It is fun and very helpful to see how long some of these processes take - beginning with the initial "Help!......" questions through assorted suggestions, to ideas on paper and I'm looking forward to hearing (and seeing) the next steps as they unfold. Looking forward to progress reports - and more questions - in the months to come.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I would look into which way the prevailing winds blow and consider installing some sort of screening to block the wind from that direction==possibly even glass. I live up North and that is a big consideration esp. if you live near water. We once had a terrace that was enclosed on three sides and loved that we could enjoy it for much of the year, even when it was chilly.
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    Hi again. We use the bedroom balcony quite a bit (weather permitting - we are in England). As Elyn says, a bedroom balcony a lovely place for a quiet moment and having an outside space off the bedroom is a little treat that makes us feel like we're always on holiday. Even when we aren't out on the balcony it increases the apparent space of the bedrooms and makes them feel more luxurious. The main deck gets used more as its used by the whole family and being able to sit out on the downstairs deck in the rain is great fun!

Another point about the solid enclosure, we found that it didn't really provide much additional shelter but did cause problems with the balcony floor getting slimy as parts weren't getting much sun or air flow. Changing to an open railing has not only opened the view but made maintenance easier.

If you paint the posts a soft grey/blue they will blend into the lake and sky and you will just look right past them.
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    A final thought ... adding a balcony upstairs will reduce the amount of light in the downstairs rooms, but with the generous windows you have I don't imagine that will be much of a problem, and in summer it could be an advantage in cutting glare depending on the aspect of your house.
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    A suggestion - if you do go with the extended balcony, suggest you plan to paint the underside of that upstairs balcony white or very light blue. It will reflect a surprising amount of light and again, make the outdoor space more inviting while not making the adjoining indoor space feel like a cave.
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Good idea Elyn. Was thinking of white beadboard up there.

I tried making the deck open as pollyannagal suggested. I'm no architect but I think I understand why she was trying to keep the consistent roof line.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    Love the wrap around deck look! However if you just add some plants that do not block your view it will help soften the structure and improve your yard space. Just a quick idea.
  • karlasgo
    11 years ago
    It all depend how much money you are willing to spend. If you have a small budget you can decorate the windows to make them more atractive
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    zeitgast - Can you check with your architect to see if it would be structurally and/or architecturally sound to extend that roofline to be the sides of the top deck with the safety rail, while still leaving the front open?
  • mollythecollie
    11 years ago
    Thank you for keeping us updated. I like what the architect and GC are coming up with. Good luck on the variance meeting. I like having the upper deck.
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Elyn L we were thinking the same thing. The next step is sending out the bids. Would love to do lots of things but for the budget. We have an issue with lot coverage (% of lot covered by building structures) but the building inspector said that we can replace the asphalt driveway with a permeable one and be okay. Also found out that the HVAC situation is going to cost more too as are the hurricane strength windows. Anxious to get the quotes back!
  • Sms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Glad this is useful/interesting molliethecollie. We are learning so much during this process. It's actually fun and exciting but then again we haven't gotten to the hard part yet. Trying to get this done in time for summer vacation-- it's going to take awhile though so believe or not that is not a sure thing.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Looks like maybe you decided not to go as elaborate with all the rooflines as previously planned. That always makes for lots of extra expense. It's looking good. Is it a permanent residence or a vacation place? You mentioned getting it done by summer vacation time. Sounded like you planned to vacation there, or maybe you meant you'll be ready for a vacation from it by then! lol
  • tangiedd
    9 years ago

If you are looking to do a cheap fix, add window flower boxes beneath all the windows, put stack stone on the lower level in the front, add wooden shutters, a nice front door, darken the color a bit, and be sure to trim with a minimum of two colors.

• raineycarole
    9 years ago
    Old post
  • Kelly Henry
    9 years ago
    I agree with Dytecture above....remove the shutters and go mod...woods and metal textures to distract from all the scattered windows and lines....
  • Sms
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Project is all done

• mollythecollie
    9 years ago

Thank you for the update. Your home is gorgeous. Great job. Now relax and enjoy those fantastic views!

• pollyannagal
    9 years ago
    Great job! Now you have those wonderful views and a lovely house. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing. Do you have some pictures showing the other side? I'd love to see what you did with the decks.
  • Sms
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Couldn't do much with the deck due to zoning challenges

• pollyannagal
    9 years ago
    It looks very nice. Is that steel wire balustrading? If so I'm very jealous - we've had a big battle to try and be allowed to use them on our house but have been told that they're too dangerous so are banned! Absolutely crazy rules in the UK which allow each local council to interpret the building safety code and ours says no even though houses in the next council area can use them. Apparently we have to use glass so a child can't climb it but I can see it being more dangerous trying to lean over or climb a ladder to clean the glass especially as we are right on the coast and they will be coated with salt spray constantly. We all have our own local challenges!
  • Sms
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes that is SS cable railing. We got rid of the tempered glass that was there-- the salt and dirt accumulation were really a problem. Regulations aside we did have concerns about the ladder effect but the kids quickly learned the rules.

• Mary Nigro
    9 years ago
    Sometimes less is more and in this case I think you nailed it! What a huge difference! Thanks for sharing your beautiful results.
  • Elyn's Library
    9 years ago

That looks gorgeous! The enlarged and enhanced area for the new entry goes a very long way to breaking up the "boxiness" that was your initial concern. Now the entry is unmistakable and inviting, and I really like the metal roofing on that area. Love the wire balustrade, looks very upgraded, updated and practical. The new paint job makes everything look unified, crisp and clean. I foresee many, many happy hours on those decks while you enjoy your views and location.

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing the finished photos with us. Always nice to see such successful and beautiful "after" photos on such a complex project.

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Well done.

• lionnessone
    8 years ago
    Congratulation on your finished project, thank you for posting pictures. You've done a great job.
  • ikwewe
    8 years ago

I love it, it has so much character now!